Swapping solid lifters to hydraulic - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

Swapping solid lifters to hydraulic

So I'm in the middle of my first rebuild and I am considering swapping the solid lifters that are in it now for hydraulic lifters. It's a 327 that will only be driven around town and some on the highway, no track . It has a 350 turbo and 3.08 gears. My question is, what all has to change to do the swap? I assume cam , lifters, pushrods, springs. Does anyone out there have some good ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
greg

Re: Swapping solid lifters to hydraulic

What cam is in the engine now? What c.r. and other mods to the engine? Is it that you do not like the performance of the solid lifter cam, the noise, or what?? You may go to the trouble of swapping in a new hydraulic cam only to find the performance is now not what you expected. If you do not like having to adjust the valves you should use some poly lock rocker arm nuts and your adjustment will last for a long time. If you do switch to a hydraulic cam you probably will not have to change springs if the lift is the same or less than what your current cam has. You may want to change your springs to match the new camshaft just to be sure you have the correct spring pressure, installed height, etc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 12:47 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Assuming the solid lifter cam is original. The 327 would have 11:1 compression.
The 327/350 Cam was installed in the same 11:1 engine.

So really all you need is a new cam and lifters.

Pushrods and springs,, if they are the generic Z/28 springs will be just perfect for you.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff morrison

well, I'm not sure if the solid lifters are original The connecting rods have been numbered so I'm assuming someone has rebuilt this motor at some point in the past How can identify if it is an original cam ? I think the part I would be concerned about would be getting the proper length pushrods Any help and advice would be great Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 09:01 AM
Senior Tech

If you think the pushrods are not original, I would just buy a cam and lifters and put it together. Once you have it in place, put just a dab of grease on the top of the valve stem and turn the engine over by hand a couple of times. You then verify that the tip of the rocker makes its mark in the center portion of the stem. Because pushrods are fairly cheap and it doesn't sound like you are planning a very aggressive cam, if it was me, I would just buy a good set of stock-length pushrods.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 11, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech
darrell

there should be a stamping on the cam in front or back to tell what u got--all prev comments correct--probably wont have to change push rods but also chek -once u find stamping on cam then u will know ur grind to see if u need springs but i usually replace unless you know what u got will work
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 01:24 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Really need more specs on the motor if you have them?
If it runs strong, by switching from an unknown solid to a different off the shelf hydraulic you could potentially ruin the combination/hp.
Even with a hydraulic cam, even the "not so aggressive" hydraulics out today, they still make plenty of noise (mine does) and will float the valves at 5,500rpm which is not fun considering my stock truck motor can rev higher.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 06:05 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

From my understanding you can put solids on a hydraulic cam but not vice versa.

Then there's the whole spring issue with the pressure too high for hydraulic lifters.

Yes, I would get a "Cam kit" (springs/lifters/cam)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode