Quadrajet question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quadrajet question

On my 327 with cast iron intake and quadrajet the car is hard to start after it sits a day or two. Replaced fuel pump and no change. Seems that gas is leaking down and takes awhile to get back to carb. The carb is a summit rebuilt unit about 2 years old. Cranks fine while engine is warm.

67 Camaro RS 327-275hp th350 3.08 rear gear
2002 Camaro SS LS1 auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: quadrajet question

Welcome to the world of mechanical fuel pumps and carburetors ! You can live with it or switch to fuel injection ! An electric fuel pump would help.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 07:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

It evaps from the bowl and also can leak from the well plugs on QJ's. Pretty common, lots of posts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Quadrajet question

Thanks for the info. Yes I am ready for an ls3 conversion.

2002 Camaro SS LS1 auto
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

Re: quadrajet question

After the car sits for a day remove the air cleaner and while looking down the carb. move the throttle and see if the accelerator pump is pumping fuel, if it does, is the choke falling closed after working the throttle. Let us know and we will continue to help you diagnose your problem.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Had the same problem after having my old Roch. Qjet "professionally rebuilt". Turned out to be the accelerator pump. Got one from Edlebrock and it fixed the prob. That was last spring, and now it's doing the same thing. I've been reading online and hearing carb guys talking about this being a problem that's being caused by the 10% ethanol in our gas today. Not sure if that's true, but it makes sense to me. But they're cheap parts so I'll get another one and maybe I'll have to replace it often. Hope this helps.

Joe
'68 SS/RS 350
Never enough time... even less money.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Your q-jet is drying out. Today's fuel evaporates very quickly. On today's cars, it's not a problem since the fuel is never exposed to the atmosphere. Not true with our carbureted rigs.

If you don't believe it, pour a couple of ounces of gasoline in an open container; an open can or something. See how long it takes to evaporate.

Once the fuel level falls below the accelerator pump in the carb, it will cause hard starting.

Not much you can do. Either prime the carb with an ounce or two of gasoline (pour it into the little vent tube) or simply crank the engine and pump the accelerator pedal until she starts.

Having worked on hundreds of q-jets through the years, I think "leaking well plugs" is blamed way too often. I did an overnight test once with 5-6 old carb bodies with a paper towels underneath and fuel in the bowl. None of the paper towels had evidence of any leaking.

FWIW
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Don't be afraid to pump the gas pedal.

Mark

68 327 4-speed 3.42 posi and a sunroof

best so far... 13.25 at 106mph

78 Firebird 350/T350 3.23 posi
65 Mustang convert. 6 cyl. 3-speed
66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl. auto
80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks. I will let you know what I find.

2002 Camaro SS LS1 auto
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
Your q-jet is drying out. Today's fuel evaporates very quickly. On today's cars, it's not a problem since the fuel is never exposed to the atmosphere. Not true with our carbureted rigs.

If you don't believe it, pour a couple of ounces of gasoline in an open container; an open can or something. See how long it takes to evaporate.

Once the fuel level falls below the accelerator pump in the carb, it will cause hard starting.

Not much you can do. Either prime the carb with an ounce or two of gasoline (pour it into the little vent tube) or simply crank the engine and pump the accelerator pedal until she starts.

Having worked on hundreds of q-jets through the years, I think "leaking well plugs" is blamed way too often. I did an overnight test once with 5-6 old carb bodies with a paper towels underneath and fuel in the bowl. None of the paper towels had evidence of any leaking.

FWIW
Totally agree. After a week sitting, mine goes like this: 1) crank crank crank, 2) pump pump, 3) vroom.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 11, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Took the air cleaner off before starting and pumped the gas a couple times and the choke did not move. The linkage rod that goes down in the side of the carb had come unhooked. Put it back together and it fired right up. Gonna let it sit overnight and try it again before victory is declared. Thanks for the tips.

2002 Camaro SS LS1 auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode