Can a bad tach make an engine run poorly??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 29th, 11, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Question Can a bad tach make an engine run poorly???

I have a 67 with a tachometer. It is an aftermarket OEM type tach. It has run perfectly for 5 years. The engine seems to have electrical issues and the tach jumps around a lot and coincides with the engine running poorly. Is it possible thatthe tach is the culprit???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 29th, 11, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Can a bad tach make an engine run poorly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deangelo66 View Post
I have a 67 with a tachometer. It is an aftermarket OEM type tach. It has run perfectly for 5 years. The engine seems to have electrical issues and the tach jumps around a lot and coincides with the engine running poorly. Is it possible thatthe tach is the culprit???
Can you disconnect it ?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Apr 29th, 11, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

HEI distributor by any chance ? Seen this a few times mainly with off road trucks where the tach wire and the 12v lead to the HEI are loose. The tach jumps and the 12v is also loosing contact at same time. Things like this can drive you bonkers.

If not HEI, I'd suspect a negative ground problem.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Apr 29th, 11, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Yes, it is an HEI. And I plan to try to disconnect it but don't know which of the wires to remove. I will play with it. If it doesn't start, then I know I have done something wrong. Will this issue cause my engine to run poorly, sputtering and cutting off?
Old Apr 29th, 11, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If it's a GM HEI there are two wires that clip into connectors on the dist cap, labeled TACH and BATT. Disconnect the TACH.

Old Apr 29th, 11, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Use an inspection mirror or your wife/girlfriends compact to look at where the wires connect. As Al said the male spades sticking down from the distributor will be marked. Mark each wire and then pull off just the TACH wire. My suspicion is that this will not change your erratic running. I think you may need to pull the BATT wire, carefully crimp the female connector a bit tighter, and then re-install. My thought is you don't have a good connection and this will cause what seems like a misfire when contact is momentarily lost.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

Old Apr 29th, 11, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Hector

Could be a bad ignition module..

68 Camaro Coup, BBC ,2457 headers, th400 , ford 9", Hotchkiss connectors,
Old Apr 29th, 11, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Is it possible thatthe tach is the culprit???
yes.. it jumps around because of a loose or shorting connection

Been thru this and I run a GM HEI.
Quote:
As Al said the male spades sticking down from the distributor will be marked. Mark each wire and then pull off just the TACH wire. My suspicion is that this will not change your erratic running.
The chances are you have an aftermarket spade connector on the tach wire...If u push it straight up, 9 times out of 10 it doesnt slide on to the blade, but rather between the blade and wall.....make sure the connector clamp part is tight, and the connector isa firm on the blade...use long nose pliers and the mirror as suggested above.
AND do the same for the BaTT as suggested above....
If both are not located and grip well and not sleeved its possble to get an induced current across the 2...causing the tach to jump and a miss.

RJ is right on the money ....

I chassed this down for months years go...it was intermitant.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Old Apr 30th, 11, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Thanks, all!! I will work on this today!! Keep you posted!!! D
Old Apr 30th, 11, 07:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

It could be the other way around too. The tach may be faithfully showing whatever is causing the engine to miss.
Old Apr 30th, 11, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
It could be the other way around too. The tach may be faithfully showing whatever is causing the engine to miss.
Excellent point. Thanks!
Old May 1st, 11, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

Mickey was right! The tach proved that there was an electrical problem. See the culprit here: http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...CamaroWire.jpg

Old May 1st, 11, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

There's your problem. lol
Also, since it's an HEI, it does not need to use that wire, that is a ballast resistor wire, it knocks down the voltage for a points style ignition, splicing it won't change the voltage.
Run a wire from the fuse box that has power when the key is in the accessory position and when starting, easy to locate with a test light.
Also, as others said, 9 times out of 10 when you slide the clip in, it goes in between or on the sides of the posts they need to go on, been there done that, my tach jumped around also, and because when the shop replaced the body mounts, they ripped out the ground wires.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Old May 2nd, 11, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
DeAngelo

HAHAHA Thanks, AJ for the input. That is my next step. I didn't know that about the wire. Going to get a 12 gauge wire soon to replace it and run it directly from the fuse box. Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 11, 02:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Best take it from the ign source of the ballast wire.....Somewhere in the electrical section is a wiring diagram
But if taking from the box make sure it goes from the ing side...not the side thats live all the time....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in