SBC harmonic balancer pulley spacer? 3/4" width? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

SBC harmonic balancer pulley spacer? 3/4" width?

Heres what im trying to work out. I have a 383 sbc with a electric motor to the water pump for my drag application, unfortunately that has ruled out me placing the altenator on the passenger side. So i thought i could get away with getting a low mount alternator bracket for the drivers side but when i placed it on the block i immediately saw it was going to come in contact with the steering rods and so on. So i flipped it made a couple cuts and BAM! got it to work!

Heres the problem- in order for the belt to be inline with the pulley setup at the crank, the pulley at the crank needs to come towards the radiator 3/4 of an inch. i made spacers out of some thin wall pipe for a mock up and even fired it up. It worked but it was just a little out of line. I would like something a little better than 4 seperate spacers. Ive seen spacers for this type of application but none that were near 3/4 inch thick

Anyone have any ideas or know of anything that may be of any help?
Thanks in advance everyone!

1968 Camaro
383 stroker
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 SBC
1971 Camaro RS
350 SBC
1971 Camaro SS (numbers matching)
350 (270hp ss)
2001 Camaro SS LS1 SLP
starting a family . . . of camaro's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: SBC harmonic balancer pulley spacer? 3/4" width?

Rather than 4 spacers can you have a 3/4" thick ring of Aluminum cut to size, or didn't many SB's with air have an add on pulley that could be close to the 3/4 you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...Q5fAccessories
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezined View Post
Rather than 4 spacers can you have a 3/4" thick ring of Aluminum cut to size, or didn't many SB's with air have an add on pulley that could be close to the 3/4 you need.
See thats what im looking for but i cant find them anywhere... i found some for SBF blower motors but nothing thats relative to the SBC. i have pulley that allready reaches out quite a bit but not enough.

Just trying to pick everyones mind if they have come across such a thing. I wouldnt even know where to begin if i wanted to have this custom made let alone the price tag that would come with it.

I have found smaller spacer that were .150 thick or so but nothing like .750 (3/4) like im needing...

1968 Camaro
383 stroker
1968 Camaro RS/SS
355 SBC
1971 Camaro RS
350 SBC
1971 Camaro SS (numbers matching)
350 (270hp ss)
2001 Camaro SS LS1 SLP
starting a family . . . of camaro's

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

You may be able to use a double pulley, leave the back side open, or build custom pulley/spacer, you have a non stock app.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 08:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

depending on how tight your turning the motor, might also need a smaller diameter crank pulley to slow the belt down. not the cheapest solution, but buy a mandrel from moroso or similar with a down sized pulley. that way you can grow into other accessories, vacuum pump, belt drive fuel pump etc. my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode