67 350 PCV help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

67 350 PCV help

I know that its been covered a ton and I think I have a good understanding on what should be on my car for PCV setup but I'm not sure what happened to my car and where to go.

Car is a 67, SS 350 4spd. There are no holes in the valve covers and they are original. There are no holes in the filler tube but there is a breather on the end of it. In the back of the block were the rear tube/pvc should be I have a hole, it is wide open with nothing in it. I clean out the junk that was in it and it goes down about 3 to 4 inches to what looks like metal, in the front (going towards the front of the car) of the hole there is a small circular hole about an 1 1/2".

The engine runs great and has been for over 20yrs like this but I'm trying to correct things that are wrong with it. I'm not sure if there is a plug at the bottom of the hole or what happened. Is this normal? I assume that I do not have a PCV valve installed somewhere else, the vacuum on the carb was capped off.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to keep the car as original as possible but I also want to make it better I have no intention of selling it as it has a lot of meaning to me so making it drive good is the big thing. I have thought about buying some new valve covers and installing a PCV valve in there.

Thanks,

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 09:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: 67 350 PCV help

Welcome to the site Rich. If you have the original Q-jet carb there should be, I believe a 3/8" vac on the front of the carb. The PCV is installed about 2 to 3 inches from where it come out at the rear of the block. The hose then goes around the right side of the carb and goes into the front of the carb near the base.
Below is a pic of that hose and you can just see the PCV valve at the rear of the right valve cover.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC hoseJPG.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	30125  

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.

Last edited by rogerh; Sep 19th, 12 at 10:49 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

350SS still used the road draft setup without PCV. You can convert it using parts for other models though. Just need the oil filler tube made for screw in PCV and the screw in PCV. Also there is an air fitting that is expensive BUT another option that was used on some vehicles (Chevelle maybe?) is a small canister with nipple that plugs into the hole (where the draft tube goes) that can then be connected to the air cleaner for your fresh air intake. Some people just get a grommet and PCV to install right in the old road draft tube opening and use the stock oil filler setup as the air intake.
http://www.rickscamaros.com/catalogs...del_id=1&q=pcv

Here's a good thread that may help.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=151629

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Thank you! I do have the a Q-jet carb but the vac line was capped off and no lines installed.

The question is would the car run with the hole in the rear of the block left wide open with nothing installed in it? I would think I would get some oil or vac lose without something in there.

Thanks,

Rich
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 10:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Are you saying you don't have a cap over that hole that has a hose fitting on it at the rear of the block? That hole needs to be covered because I believe it would allow dirt and crap to get into the oil. I put everything back the way you see it in the picture.

Roger

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

there is nothing in the hole it had a bunch of debris and stuff in it that is why I was wondering.

Would it run if it was not capped off and left open? I have a plan for getting it set back up again, I'm just kind of dumbfounded that it was left open and still ran fine for over 20 yrs that we have owned it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 10:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

This is a page from the Asm manual on the Engine Ventilation System. It shows the cap you need. I wouldn't leave the hole open for any more dirt to get in the oil system. The engine should run fine but that dirt is not good at all on the engine. After you seal that hole I would change the oil and filter.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PVC cap.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	30127  

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Roger- I'm going to connect up a PCV valve to it similar to what you have. Can you tell me what you have in the hole in the block to connect up to?

Thanks,

Rich
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 09:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Unhappy Re: 67 350 PCV help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
350SS still used the road draft setup without PCV. You can convert it using parts for other models though. Just need the oil filler tube made for screw in PCV and the screw in PCV. Also there is an air fitting that is expensive BUT another option that was used on some vehicles (Chevelle maybe?) is a small canister with nipple that plugs into the hole (where the draft tube goes) ...

Here's a good thread that may help. ...
WOW
How can so much miss-information be put in one thread

GM discontinued "Road Draft" tubes in 1962 - period ...
They were not allowed on vehicles after that year-model - period ...
All GM vehicles used some form of PCV after 1965 - period ...

That thread from 'jalopy-hack' is totally wrong on so many points to be any help to anyone and way off the chart on specifics ...
Good 'shade-tree' mechanical insight though

All 1967 Camaro's had one of two PCV systems on them from the factory.
It's been covered on many great threads on here in the past, such as - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...light=1967+PCV
And this OP's system directly - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ight=Dixie+cup

Here's another past thread with great information on modifying the system with modern parts - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...light=1967+PCV

Carry on

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
George

Rich,

You need what we call the "dixie cup" adapter, as shown in the AIM drawing, then two sizes of hose, along with the PCV valve and retention clip / bracket. Good luck on finding an original clip (if that's important to you), as the repops are not correct, and I too have been looking for a clip. I can only assume that your engine still has the "coffee can" oil seperator down inside the valley of the engine (below the intake manifold), or that engine should have been "toast" a long time ago due to the debris entering the engines lube system, etc.. PM me if you can't find an adapter.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 RS Ragtop View Post
Rich,

You need what we call the "dixie cup" adapter, as shown in the AIM drawing, then two sizes of hose, along with the PCV valve and retention clip / bracket. Good luck on finding an original clip (if that's important to you), as the repops are not correct, and I too have been looking for a clip. I can only assume that your engine still has the "coffee can" oil seperator down inside the valley of the engine (below the intake manifold), or that engine should have been "toast" a long time ago due to the debris entering the engines lube system, etc.. PM me if you can't find an adapter.
Thank you for the info. Is there any issues with installing a rubber grommet and a PCV valve and connecting it to the Q-jet while I try to find one of the dixie cup adapters?

Thanks,

Rich
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
WOW
How can so much miss-information be put in one thread

Whoops. Sorry to post bad information. I can only learn from what I read which is sometimes bad as well. Didn't mean to ruin anyone's day.

Either way, I don't think the PCV setups recommended were incorrect....or were they?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20cooled View Post
Roger- I'm going to connect up a PCV valve to it similar to what you have. Can you tell me what you have in the hole in the block to connect up to?

Thanks,

Rich
Rich I stayed with the stock setup. Below is a pic before I got it cleaned up. This pic also shows the clip that holds the PCV valve. The taped up hole is for the distributor.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PCV tube.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	30129  

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Rich I stayed with the stock setup. Below is a pic before I got it cleaned up. This pic also shows the clip that holds the PCV valve. The taped up hole is for the distributor.

Roger
Roger- Thank you. Now I just need to find one of the Dixie Cup adapters.

Rich
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 12, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

The 'Hose Adapter'/Dixie-Cup units show up on eBain quite often.
I can usually find one on some old truck engine at the P-N-P wrecking yard places in a visit or two ...

The Corvette 'repoppers' are one of the best sources for many correct PCV system parts for F-Bodys
They tend to cater to folks that are trying to get the original look vs. the guys selling parts to the Camaro-Crowd - whom only seem to care about if it looks cool and shiny
Corvette places like ZIP and Paragon have a great parts selection to restore most systems - https://www.paragoncorvette.com/c-23...vent-tube.aspx
Paragon often has 'Dixie-Cups' available, but you have to call to check.
You could even go with the 63/64 SBC grommet and tube used on early 'vettes for a functional, but not quite stock system ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode