Felpro 1094 head gasket-small leak - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 12, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Felpro 1094 head gasket-small leak

Well, everthing was going well on my 327 after rebuild, I have about 45 miles on it. I noticed a very small leak on pass side head at bottom front corner. the gaskets had no coating on them, so i used the permatex copper spray on them. Block and head surgace were very flat and smooth, used a wetstone on them and checked with a straight edge. I have to remove the valve covers to check my valve lash and I am going to retorque the heads, they were torqued at 25-45-65 when assembled. Should i loosen them up a little and then retorque them to 65, or should i go to 70?

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 12, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Felpro 1094 head gasket-small leak

You should retorque with engine at operating temp, if iron head.
If alum head, let cool overnight, then retorque.
Both methods to 65 ft/lbs.
Sure it is not a leak from intake to head to block?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 12, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

def coming from front bottom corner on head, makes a small puddle and runs around the edge of the block, dont know if a retorque will help, or pull the heads and replace with the victor .026 gaskets, i will lose a little CR, but prob will seal better

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 12, 05:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I had a similar problem and a TC member suggested using GM cooling tabs in the coolant. I put three tabs in and the leak stopped in ten minutes and hasn't leaked since.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 12, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

I tried the retorque today, but it didnt work, Started it up and it slowly started to drip a little water in the same spot. I thought i had the heads and block deck as smooth as glass. I have thought about the GM cooling tabs, but Im thinking it would be better to replace the head gaskets with Victor #5746, they are .025 thick, my quench would be around .050, not ideal, but better than the .039 gaskets i had before. Are there any other gaskets that would work?

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 12, 05:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknots View Post
I had a similar problem and a TC member suggested using GM cooling tabs in the coolant. I put three tabs in and the leak stopped in ten minutes and hasn't leaked since.
Tell me a little more about these cooling tabs. I'm having little weeps now and then around my intake. Is this ok for a stroked engine with aluminum heads.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 12, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

I would like to know more about them to, Im afraid its just a band aid fix. Dont know how long it would last? I had the blue permatorque gaskets on my engine for 20 years, they were sealed really good, I thought I would get a litle more CR, using the 1094 gaskets.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 12, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjbad67 View Post
I would like to know more about them to, Im afraid its just a band aid fix. Dont know how long it would last? I had the blue permatorque gaskets on my engine for 20 years, they were sealed really good, I thought I would get a litle more CR, using the 1094 gaskets.
I'm with ya on the band aid. I don't think the gasket material is what it use to be. I've had many engines built in the past and never chased leaks. All by the same builder. On a good note he has helped me through it. I hope you solve this. Sounds like you did it right.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 12, 07:17 PM
Team Member
Jerry G.

Don't have the GM number for the tabs, but I understand that these are the same thing.....

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view...ak-tablets-hdc

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 12, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Here's what I know about these tabs by asking friends that are mechanics, my engine builder and the GM parts manager that I went to high school with. They come in a pack of 5 for about $7.00. They were developed by the Cadillac Division to remedy the leak problems with their all aluminum engines. All these people said that they work and a permanant fix. I was still skeptical but I had just put the engine/tranny back in after fixing a tranny and rear main oil leak and wasn't in the mood to pull it apart again. I knew it wasn't anything major because the compression test was perfect and the leak was just an annoying dribble. Plus the cooling tabs are made from almond shells and ginger! They couldn't hurt anything, right? I have about 600 miles on the car since I put these in and have NO leaks.
The GM part# is 12378254

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 12, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Did you use sealant on the head bolts? They all go into the water jacket.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 12, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

yes, I used permatex #2 on the head bolts.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 12, 06:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

How bad is your weep? I have been told that sometimes just putting some miles on a fresh rebuild the weeps will stop. I know it sounds crazy and you would think it would only get worse. I had another weep issue with my stud that went through a water jacket in the head that drove me nuts. After about 200 miles it stopped. But then again if your anything like me it bugs ya and you want it perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 12, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

you might be on to something there, started the car up earlier and let it run for a while, Temp got to 185, I was watching it and didnt see a leak, shut it off and watched it some more, still didnt see a leak.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 12, 08:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Drive it. I bet it seals itself up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode