Team Camaro Tech banner

Tapping coming from #1 cylinder

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Melrose RS 
#1 ·
ok the only reason im posting is because I have searched and searched we are stumped right now???
first off I have a 68 camaro with a newly rebuilt motor 327, I have stock rods, stock crankshaft, dome 4.040 kb pistons -.5 cc, stock heads 1.6 roller rockers, bored over .040 on pistons, performer series intake manifold, 1407 edelbrock carb, and some hooker headers. now to the issue.....

I have tapping in the first cylinder...first we thought it was the lifters so we swapped those out..... still noise in #1 cylinder, we also readjusted the rockers, still noise, then we tried pulling the spark plug in the number one cylinder and BAM no noise......so we adjust timing, spark plug gap, and checked wire ......nothing still noise as soon as you plug it back up i dont understand?? maybe another point of view might be able to help??

#2 ·
Re: tapping coming from #1 cylinder

How soon did it 'appear' after 1st fire up?
Was the timing statically set before 1st fire up?
Was the cent curve in the dizzy known before fire up?
ie the number of degs and what the total (intial+cent) is and at what rpms?
Was the dizzy turned during fire up?
Was the carb jetted rich, or made sure was rich during 1st fire up?
Is the tap loader under the car than in the engine bay?
have u tried locating the tap with a mechanics stethoscope?
And if so does it locate, from under the car to the side of the block?

Are you 100% sure that the box of pistons where never dropped?
Was each pistion measured, each bore honed to match each piston?

Have u used the mechanics stethoscope on the tappit covers and eliminated a liffter just touching the cover....and / or tried a thicker cork tappet cover gasket?.

#4 ·

How soon did it 'appear' after 1st fire up?
Was the timing statically set before 1st fire up?
Was the cent curve in the dizzy known before fire up?
ie the number of degs and what the total (intial+cent) is and at what rpms?
Was the dizzy turned during fire up?
Was the carb jetted rich, or made sure was rich during 1st fire up?
Is the tap loader under the car than in the engine bay?
have u tried locating the tap with a mechanics stethoscope?
And if so does it locate, from under the car to the side of the block?

Are you 100% sure that the box of pistons where never dropped?
Was each pistion measured, each bore honed to match each piston?

Have u used the mechanics stethoscope on the tappit covers and eliminated a liffter just touching the cover....and / or tried a thicker cork tappet cover gasket?.
dude your way above my head man i have a full msd ignition system with 6al ignition controller and and 8361 dizzy and blaster HVC coil basically a plug and play dizzy except some adjustments.... im sorry i honestly dont under stand your questions this is my first build ever....

and to Eleanor's Nemesis thanks thats what we are thinking....... i will go get another gasket i have a three piece gasket i wasnt comfortable putting it in honestly cause it ups the chances of things going wrong... ill try it and let you guys know

#3 ·

I think you probably have a header leak at the number 1 exhaust pipe. Try a new gasket-I like Percy's myself. They are expensive but you can find them at common auto parts stores, just call around and give them a try.

#6 ·

Im making the asumption things like exhaust leaks have been checked out, after all, gone as far as the tappets been changed.

8361 dizzy and blaster HVC coil basically a plug and play dizzy except some adjustments
No, such thing except in marketing propagada as a "plug and Play dizzy"
If an engine, espec a street engine built to street tolances, has a crab that is a little lean and the timing is cranked way up, be it at piont of fire or a few seconds after as the rpms are up to break the cam in.. temps increase dramatically fast, the bores and rings not beeded in... expansions a little tight, the piston tips and collaspes the skirt.
This results in a tap that is hard to locate ....
Hence asking about using a stethoscope, sound from above and under the car timing , carb etc.
And the same thing if the box of pistons has been dropped, or a piston droped onto a hard floor, then cracked.

So looked u at exhaust leak , tappets/ cover, lifters etc...and they check out right?

#9 ·
thanks everyone for the great responses and great advice ..... I found out the gasket fell and blocked the #1 cylinder thats all it was:hurray:........ I couldnt believe I missed that man :beers:

this forum seriously is the best and most active forum I have been in thanks alot guys and i look forward to trouble shooting more of my problems with you guys..:clonk:

#10 ·
Good news and today there's no charge for satisfied customers. It's pay-it-forward for Xmas day too.:disco:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.