Oil filter removal issues - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Oil filter removal issues

I got my new 383 put together (runs great btw if anyone wants the specs to build their own). However, I went to dump the oil and filter for the break in oil change. Much to my dismay I can't get the oil filter out without loosening the drivers side header. It won't slide out the front because the primary tube gets closer to the pan as you go forward and the clutch and block saver flange keeps it from sliding out the rear (the pan, a milodon 6qt stroker model, has kickouts that keep the filter from dropping straight down).

Obviously I could go to a remote filter, but that's one more thing to find a home for, as well as two more hoses to fail. I was wondering if there is an adaptor to run the newer style narrower filters like what comes on LS engines.

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Re: Oil filter removal issues

The SBC will accept three different size oil filters. There is a small, med and large filter. you might have the medium length filter??
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 03:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

X2 on that

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Does anyone know those sizes. I am using a pf454 and seems very small.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

I'm sorry I forgot to specify that the length isn't the issue, its the diameter. I can tip the filter on its side but it's still too wide to get through. I am running a Mobil 1 (m1-302 or 303 I think, would have to look).

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

you may need to use tin snips to cut it out and a remote oil filter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech

get an oil filter mount from a 90's LT1 Corvette.. they used the PF52 oil filter.
got one years ago for a 4X4 S10 V8 swap i was doing, cost just under $100 if i'm remembering correctly. the one i got was without an oil cooler. i think it's discontinued, but they still sell the one with the oil cooler lines... just plug them and run it that way.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 14, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_gates View Post
you may need to use tin snips to cut it out and a remote oil filter.

and how do you put the new one back in there ??? :P

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 14, 05:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I think Jeff was saying to cut the old one out, and then convert to a remote-style.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 14, 01:57 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
get an oil filter mount from a 90's LT1 Corvette.. they used the PF52 oil filter.
got one years ago for a 4X4 S10 V8 swap i was doing, cost just under $100 if i'm remembering correctly. the one i got was without an oil cooler. i think it's discontinued, but they still sell the one with the oil cooler lines... just plug them and run it that way.
here is the mount i was talking about:

another option, using factory parts: some 4X4 S trucks with the 4.3 used a remote oil filter that put the filter up on the firewall. some of them even had an oil cooler, too.. everything to put that setup in your car should be as close as your favorite local junkyard. yes, the lines do leak on a lot of them- but those are daily drivers that don't get maintained as well as a 45 year old Camaro would..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 14, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
Thanks! This is just the type of thing I was hoping existed, as the narrower filter would easily drop right out during changes. I saw that the one without the cooler ports is discontinued, I might go scour some junkyards. You mentioned that the one with the ports (that I could plug) is still available, do you happen to know what the part number is?

Also thanks to all the other assistance (sorry I didn't thank you guys sooner but I didn't get a chance to log on until now). I actually got the old filter out by pulling the header and collector bolts and tilting the header out of the way. Obviously this isnt what I want to do every oil change...

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 14, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

This one looks a bit used, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-...cf6822&vxp=mtr

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode