Help please, Cylinder Head Removal - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 14, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Help please, Cylinder Head Removal

Hi All, was looking for some direction, tips, etc when pulling a cylinder head. I have a 68 with a Gen VI Chevy 502 crate engine with bowtie aluminum oval (roval?) port heads, which are leaking coolant into the number 8 cylinder.

I already have the headers off that side and intake manifold off. I know I need to remove the rocker arms and pushrods. The motor is not that old and has not been run that hard so I expect I should be able to keep them, and will keep them in the same order just in case. I know I’m supposed to remove the cylinder head bolts in reverse order to prevent potential warping. I read some posts to leave a head bolt or two threaded part way in until ready to lift off the head, and to have someone help lift it.

My questions are, what else might I need to be aware of to make sure I do/don’t do (I’m especially concerned about the “don’t dos!”). I plan on using an air wrench to speed things up - is there any potential problem with this? What about if it won't budge after I have all the bolts out?

I searched the boards for cylinder head removal and came across some helpful posts but not a step-by step guide...and I did the google on it too.

Thank you for any pointers,

Brian

'68 Camaro 502

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bust a knuckle? Rub dirt in it and take a lap!

Last edited by rdlphbr1; May 13th, 14 at 01:32 PM. Reason: misstatement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 14, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: Help please, Cylinder Head Removal

Drain the coolant. Unless you have a strong impact the bolts won't budge. I used my electric 240 ft lb impact gun to get the bolts off.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 14, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Thanks - already drained the coolant...not the oil yet but I have to do that too.
I have an IR impact wrench that goes up to 300 ft lb but was planning on using a breaker bar to loosen them first. I was thinking on the rocker nuts to speed up removal since they're fine thread.

'68 Camaro 502

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 14, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Al

It would have to be a weenie impact gun that wouldn't loosen head bolts.

No need to remove the rockers - just loosen them enough so that you can remove the pushrods, plus they make a nice handle to lift the heads off of the block with.

I use a chunk of 2x4 and drill 8 holes in it, mark it front & rear and remove the pushrods in order and stick them in the 2x4 exactly as I removed them.

If the head won't budge count the number of bolts you've removed. SBC has 17 per head - not sure on BBC. If they're all out and it won't budge I give it a few sharp whacks with a big rubber mallet.

You shouldn't have any problem lifting the aluminum heads yourself. Cast iron BBC heads are hea-vy...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 14, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Don't waste your time with a breaker bar cause in your mind your going to start thinking "oh F, it feels like the bolt is going to break". Not sure about the air type wrench but my electric one works like a mahine gun and slowly loosens the bolt head then zzzzzzzzzzz ip off it comes.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 13th, 14, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

well thanks all, I got it off and once I got the head bolts loosened up, it popped right off, no problem. I was surprised.
Thanks again.

'68 Camaro 502

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cylinder head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode