1969 Camaro X44 Rolling Shell - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Talking 1969 Camaro X44 Rolling Shell

Hey guys, I am new & from Southern Colorado. Picked up a 1969 Camaro X44 Car last month which is basically a rolling shell. I am excited to get going on this project but don't have much of a budget for drivetrain and paint. No major body defects or rust whatsoever. All i really need to do is find drivetrain and my buddy who paints is gonna help me out. Attached is a link to a craigslist ad of a dude selling a setup I think might be a fitting candidate for my car. Please let me know what you guys think as far as what concerns or problems I might run into doing this drivetrain swap! Please and Thank you Guys!

PS: My car was originally a small block car so I know about the heater box on the firewall needing to be moved. Also the big block cooling system, motor mounts, frame mounts, springs on front suspension. But what is your honest opinion on this? Thanks. Any criticism or information will help!

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/pts/4446248275.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 11:21 AM
Kevin

Re: 1969 Camaro X44 Rolling Shell

James, I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure the rear from a 2nd gen is wider then a 1st gen and the spring mounts will have to be cut off and re-welded in the correct spot. You ready for all that? Also that BB looks like a beast!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Exclamation Re: 1969 Camaro X44 Rolling Shell

Or Would I be better off dropping this in instead? Local pickup is only 3000 instead of the buy it now 4500. Idk if the 70 camaro on craigslist is better or if this engine is better! the 70 on craigslist would have the entire engine, cooling system, motor mounts, disc brakes, and other stuff?!?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/454-CHEVY-HI...2644c1&vxp=mtr

Im at a loss on what to do or where to go with this project. I have about 5k saved up for an engine of some kind. At the end of the day I know it is my own personal preference and choice but I just want as much input or advice from guys who have been there done that. Please help guys.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

I also have the original 327 short block that came with the car but this thing literally needs everything. & the transmission would not be numbers matching regardless if that helps. I'd really like anything over 400hp so that is why these 3 options are what i'm thinking about only I have no clue which way to go!?!?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 11:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

There is not much on a '70 other than engine and trans that would bolt into your '69. The craigs list car doesn't look like it was ever cared for and to me would be a scary proposition at best!

As for the ebay engine used is generally "as is" and even if it has never been run you are taking your chances. I think I would rather buy a running engine out of a totaled car in the junk yard than spend $3k and not know!

My buddys machine shop preps a lot of blocks and the customers build them only to bring them in after something goes wrong. If you got that engine you should be planning to pull it apart and put it back together before ever firing it.

Also I don't get the ad about $3k for local pickup... He wants $4600 + shipping as a BIN, he doesn't say $4600 and free shipping and I don't think it would cost $1500 to ship it... Buyer Beware!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

KevinW Thanks I do like the idea of having a 427! As far as the rear end goes Idk!? It would need cut. I don't think I"m ready for that lol.

Djd: Yeah the ebay engine is kinda suspicious. I kind of freaked out on a 1500 price difference just by how a buyer obtains the engine?!? Doesn't make sense at all. I called the guy and "supposedly" he's been rebuilding engines for 30 years but anyone can be whomever they say over the net or phone!?! The Muncie and engine If good out of the 70 might be worth the 4k i talked that dude down to if everything ran cherry?!? I would probably just get a new crate engine but I have read and seen so many bad reviews on blueprint engines 383 stroker as well as others all across ebay for about 4500 turnkey with bad reviews?! If i stay smallblock i want anything over 400hp within my budget from a good reputable builder or source but don't know of any!?? The 427 and Muncie m22 out of the 70 seem like a steal for four grand if it runs good!?

I appreciate both of your guy's thoughts and honesty! Thanks!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Erik

Why not call around to reputable engine rebuild shops, local to you, and get a price on a rebuilt engine from then. That way you have a better chance of knowing what you have.

For all you know, you could buy those used engines and still have to pull it apart and rebuild it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

SilverSS: I thought about doing this but I live in a town with a polulation of 3,000 and there are literally no good shops around me within a 2 hour + radius! I guess I don't mind the drive and getaway to drop off and or pick up but still I have no clue who to go with. Seems as though I'm going to have to be more patient and do more research as to what I really want! Thanks!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 07:39 PM
psv
Tech Team

Your not far from Mark Jones. You will get a quality product at a fair price from him.
http://www.vortecproperformance.com
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Just to throw my Hat in the ring, I bought a Killer 427 BB Drag race enging for my 69 Camaro SS/RS about 12 years ago for my Back burner Restoration, got going on it last year, I have spent almost what a Nice already built engine would cost me taking the "race" out of this engine.

My engine builder said "Be honest with what you are going to do with your Car" - Street car, Car show and maybe bring it to the Track avery few years, my closest Track is 1 1/2 hours away. Pump Gas, some Torque and HP.

My crane cam I took out was a .650"+ lift and Idle was shown to be 4,000 rpm, Intake was an Open Plenum, 850 Double Pumper and so on.
Most of that Craiglist car you would only use for the track IMO.
Timmy from Trumbull, CT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	427 Left Side w intake.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	73026  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Question Re: 1969 Camaro X44 Rolling Shell

My dudes, the guy on ebay said he'd let me have the engine for $2300!?!? this is a 2200 dropp off of his buy it now price. Also he had it professionally machined at Western Machine in Denver Colorado and seller has "built engines for the last 30 years" as a side hobby and source of income!? Rebuilt 1975 454 with a 496 stroker kit for 2300? What do you guys think!?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/454-CHEVY-HI...2644c1&vxp=mtr
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 02:35 PM
Kevin

I think that anything far away with a warranty that requires you to ship the engine back (CA to CO will cost a lot!) is like buying something with no warranty. There have been a lot of horror stories here about people having issues and end up paying more for shipping back for warrantee work that it would have cost just to get it done locally in the 1st place.

FYI, the Ebay add states “All Machine work has been performed by Western Machine in Denver Colorado”. Then I googled Western Machine in Denver Colorado, which has 2 stars in google reviews.

Here are a couple 1 or 2 star reviews:

Quote:
3 weeks ago
This is the worst place you could get engine work done from stay away the one positive review is someone that works there. Trashy rednecks that only kinda of know chevy engines. And beware of the gay guy with glasses up front if i knew his name I would of just put that he is super rude and unprofessional. Just trust me from a first hand experience stay away.
Quote:
8 months ago
Horrible service. Time after time, their estimated time projections were off. First it was, "It'll be just a few days." Then it was, "Actually next week." Then it was Tuesday. Then Wednesday. Then, finally, Thursday and even then, that was BARELY correct. I understand it's hard to estimate when you can get a car done but when you say it will be ready " at [x time] today" and you end up waiting for over an hour is ridiculous. On top of this the staff, especially the receptionist, is unbelievable rude.
And one 5 start for the other side of the coin:

Quote:
9 months ago
An honest shop, that delivers what it promises. I could not be happier with my experience with these folks. From Mona at the front desk to Terry the gentleman that runs the show. An honest quote beating the others by just a bit as well as professionalism, knowledge and service. I had my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 (with a 4.7 V8) over heat due to a malfunctioning thermostat. Estimates from shops where way out of my budget for what i thought would just be new heads. I decided to undertake my own engine repair by purchasing new heads, water pump, and thermostat. Once all was installed (purchased from Advance Auto Parts). I was rewarded by the engine firing right up, only to discover that my short block was now knocking due to the severe overheating that had occurred. As it had been 25 years since the last time I was this deep in an engine. I was shocked at the prices being quoted and dismayed by the caviler attitude I encountered with shop after shop. I called Western, explained my situation to Terry and the price dropped too; what for was me affordable. 1 week later, they got me my engine (short block) and delivered it at slightly less then the original quote! I have several gear head friends and made sure they knew how me, the not so experienced shopper was treated. I would recommend to anyone.
You must research this very closely!

Kevin

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
George

I've been burned buying a crate engine before, actually twice now. I had to try again I guess. At any rate, I would not advise buying ebay. Vortecpro has a good rep or get some parts and drop off to a quality shop near you that you can check in on and have knowledge of what is going on. Buying an engine long distance as some one posted above is just like not having any warranty at all.

Additionally, also stated above but worth reinforcing (again from experience) be honest with how the car will be driven and don't build too much into the motor like large cams/heads/intakes/carbs and ridiculous compression for pump gas. You lose all your tuning capability when you do this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 16th, 14, 09:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangin' gears View Post
I've been burned buying a crate engine before, actually twice now. I had to try again I guess. At any rate, I would not advise buying ebay. Vortecpro has a good rep or get some parts and drop off to a quality shop near you that you can check in on and have knowledge of what is going on. Buying an engine long distance as some one posted above is just like not having any warranty at all.

Additionally, also stated above but worth reinforcing (again from experience) be honest with how the car will be driven and don't build too much into the motor like large cams/heads/intakes/carbs and ridiculous compression for pump gas. You lose all your tuning capability when you do this.
Hi James and X2 George

I am a big eBayer and always looking for a deal, Summit - I wait till I have $100.00+ order for free shipping and get lots of small stuff off the Internet, it's what we do and the Beauty of the Internet for Searching for answers, Networking and the like. Ground Up is 20 minutes from my Home, I even took my Wife there on a "parts date".

However, this might be one of those investments for your Car, going to a local, reputable Engine Shop, talk to them and give them your business, this costs money but if and when there is a problem, you can go back. What do you do with a Crate Engine if there is a problem ?

Was talking to a friend at work, he is re-building and “hopping up” his 305 SB for his 3rd gen Firebird, he said he was going to put Manely Pistons and Crower Rods, steel crank, big Cam and so much other stuff.
Wow, all that for a Street/Cruiser. I brought it to his attention and now he realizes for all those great Parts, you’ll never see them and they will not really do much for the Performance to drive to the what I call Value added.
He has since come back and thanked me for saving him allot of money.

Don’t get me wrong, where I am putting a Ton of Money in my own 69, but it all has a purpose.

George wrote “like large cams/heads/intakes/carbs and ridiculous compression for pump gas. You lose all your tuning capability when you do this.” and you only drive it to the Doughnut Shop J
Timmy from Trumbull, CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode