Change from Holley to Quadrajet, must change timing? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Change from Holley to Quadrajet, must change timing?

On my basically stock BBC I changed my Holley 750 vac secondaries back to the original Quadrajet. With the Holley it ran great when punching the throttle. After putting the Quadrajet on it stumbles and weakens when hitting the throttle at low rpms. It doesn't conk out nor backfire but feels like it will then I back off the pedal and feather it into higher rpms and then it's okay.

I talked with the machine shop that does lots of BBCs and they said it's a whole different animal now so I have to adjust timing accordingly. Timing's now at 8 degrees initial so should I bump it up to like 12 or 14? Or....?

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Change from Holley to Quadrajet, must change timing?

I would get the carburetor working properly first. A Quadrajet has mechanically operated secondary butterflies and needs to have a properly operating secondary accelerator circuit and air valve.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 03:40 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I would also say get the carburetor squared away first. If it has been off the car for a while, buy a rebuild kit and freshen it up. Then use the right sandwich gasket with heat shield built in or layer fiber with hotslot if active, then tin heat then fiber without hotslot gash.

Then set your baseline tune using vacuum gauge for idle circuit. then do some passes at rpms to dial in your total advance and see how she responds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I would also say get the carburetor squared away first. If it has been off the car for a while, buy a rebuild kit and freshen it up. Then use the right sandwich gasket with heat shield built in or layer fiber with hotslot if active, then tin heat then fiber without hotslot gash.

Then set your baseline tune using vacuum gauge for idle circuit. then do some passes at rpms to dial in your total advance and see how she responds.
Just had it rebuilt by the pro at the machine shop. Got the thick composite gasket in first, second the tin heat shield, and third the regular. So, the hotslot crossover in manifold is blocked off which I guess is the way it's supposed to be.

The Holley ran smooth as a baby's butt with the current timing at idle, mid-range, and WOT. Should I expect any different from the Quadrajet and adjust the timing?

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 04:27 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

No the Quadrajet should be very responsive once the secondaries open if it is setup right. Did you set the idle mix and the idle circuit once it was installed?
Does the throttle open the secondaries only after the primaries are open?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
No the Quadrajet should be very responsive once the secondaries open if it is setup right. Did you set the idle mix and the idle circuit once it was installed?
Does the throttle open the secondaries only after the primaries are open?
Idle mix done by the needle screws up front, builder had them at 2 turns out then I turned them in to where it stumbles and then back out half-turn.
When you say "idle circuit" how would that be adjusted?

Throttle opens secondaries after primaries are open, did that manually under the hood. When going at higher rpms and punching it then the secondaries open pretty well.

It's when coming off a stop or red light when I start pushing the pedal it'll hit flat and stumble.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 05:15 PM
Senior Tech
George

FWIW I would also check the accelerator pump - some stick in the bore and don't supply the added fuel for acceleration, etc. - just be sure it is working properly, and squirting additional fuel . Can you get it to bog when not under load ? If so, try giving it a little choke and try accelerating it again to see if things change, as it wouldn't be the first time I have seen a bad accelerator pump, or missing check ball, which leaves you virtually no additional fuel when accelerating.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 RS Ragtop View Post
FWIW I would also check the accelerator pump - some stick in the bore and don't supply the added fuel for acceleration, etc. - just be sure it is working properly, and squirting additional fuel . Can you get it to bog when not under load ? If so, try giving it a little choke and try accelerating it again to see if things change, as it wouldn't be the first time I have seen a bad accelerator pump, or missing check ball, which leaves you virtually no additional fuel when accelerating.
I maxed out the accelerator pump by bending the arm, so looking down the bores it gives a good squirt.

Check ball is in there. Will advance the timing, to see. Here's hoping the guy at the machine is right. He also said the vacuum pulling on the distributor advance canister can be different between the Holley and the Rochester, so that might account for it?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 14, 09:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
He also said the vacuum pulling on the distributor advance canister can be different between the Holley and the Rochester, so that might account for it?
Make sure you're running manifold vacuum on the Quadrajet if you were on the Holley.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 06:49 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
When you say "idle circuit" how would that be adjusted?
The idle circuit consists of the idle mixture screws - left and right, the curb idle setting on the throttle cam and the fast choke idle cam screw adjustment on the choke side.

Quote:
It's when coming off a stop or red light when I start pushing the pedal it'll hit flat and stumble.
That sounds like the accelerator pump as suggested above. Sorry I was under the impression this bog and stumble was a WOT situation, not from an idle.

Rebuilding a Rochester is an art and it is easy if you follow the prescribed procedure, but if someone just thinks they know what they are doing and rebuild it on a fly and miss one step the whole thing can be fubar and will need to be torn back down and rebuilt. The check ball is a critical component as well as the seal on the pump. As suggested start there.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 14, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Well, guys, it went from bad to worse. Adjusted timing back to 8 degrees and worked a bit better less flatspotting coming off idle. But after everythings gets warmed up and drive around town the idle fluctuates from 800 on down to below 450 and stalled a couple of times. It does not sound right. No fun! I'll be taking the requisite pictures with the Quadrajet in there with associated hardware as I'm selling the car, then I'll put the Holley back in for smooth riding.

Will take the Quad back to the builder at the machine shop and leave it with him for a few days. As I already asked him if it was doable and he indicated it was. I also told him if it was too much trouble I'd send it to a pro shop like the Carb Shop to have it redone. A little late now as I'm in hock to him for the work done so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode