Doug's Tri-Y headers install advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 17th, 14, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeremy

Doug's Tri-Y headers install advice

Hi Guys,

I just bought a set of Doug's headers and am contemplating weather to try and install myself or just pay the local muffler shop to do it? They have done work for me in the past so I trust them and I have been quoted $300 to install the headers and weld up the collectors to my existing system which seems fairly reasonable?

From what I have read the install is a PITA and I just finished the classic auto air install which sucked *** so I am a little burned out to be honest...

Also I have no friends who are even remotely interested in working on an old car so I would be flying solo on this project.

Anyway, what are your thoughts \ experience?

For reference I have a 69, 350\Th350,ps, ac (aftermarket so clearance is ok)

Forgot to mention, I am using Alan grove brackets for pass side ac, drivers side alt and power steering pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 09:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Send a message via Yahoo to Wazoo151
Re: Doug's Tri-Y headers install advice

I am really not sure about the Tri-Ys, but I did the installation of my Doug's long tubes on my '67 and it wasn't hard at all. I had to pull the plugs and do a little gymnastics to get them into position but I was surprised how easily they went in. I have passenger side AC (not currently installed) and alternator.

The only issue I had is that I had to notch the cradle for my Flaming River steering rack, but if you're running stock steering this shouldn't be an issue.

I feel your pain on the A/C install - I did one on a 65 Mustang once and it was challenging - their directions leave a lot to be desired.

Robert

67 SS under construction
10:1 383, TKO600, Moser 4.11 12 bolt, Hotchkis, Rushforths, Flaming River, etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I've had a set of tri-ys on my car for four years, and really like them. You'll probably need to jack up the engine in order to get the driver's side in. There's plenty of room on the passenger side.

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 14, 11:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWarm View Post
I've had a set of tri-ys on my car for four years, and really like them. You'll probably need to jack up the engine in order to get the driver's side in. There's plenty of room on the passenger side.
X2 Did this on my 69 and my 68 with tri-Ys. The power steering box is the problem. I had to jack up the motor and install the driver side from underneath.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 14, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeremy

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. I think I have made up my mind... For $300 and getting my car back on the road the same day I think I'll have the shop do it. Typically when I undertake projects on my own it's a few weeks before I finish it up. Also I think I am going to throw a whole new exhaust system under there so might as well have it welded up nice.

thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 14, 12:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Nice headers. I lowered the passenger side in from the engine compartment real easy. The driver side best way I found was get the front way up in the air enough to be able to get the header flange 90 degrees into the engine compartment then turn into place. Not too hard either once you have the room to do the 90 degrees.

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeremy

Hi all,

After looking at my mufflers more closely and finding that they were in bad shape I opted to let the local shop do the install and throw on a set of flowmasters. Two days later and my car sounds awesome and although I don't notice any improvement on the low end there seems to be a big improvement around 2000 and up. I mash the gas and holy crap it moves well. I have no clue on the specs of my motor, wish is did but it seems it is more off a passer than a burn out machine.

Thanks for the advice guys and to anyone wondering, the Doug's tri y fit great with zero clearance issues once they are installed. They also sound amazing with the flows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headers install doug's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode