496 rotating Assembly - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 14, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

496 rotating Assembly

Hey guys, just curious what you all think of this kit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330963969758...84.m1423.l2649

I am about ready to start on my old 427 for my 68 and I know it needs bored, & the crank needs turned etc.. so now I am thinking about maybe going this route. I still want to use my 840 heads & 163 factory intake, & I have been running the repo of the factory 396/375 solid so a cam swap maybe..

Anyhow what's everyones thoughts on this rotating assembly?
Thanks in advance,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 31st, 14, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Re: 496 rotating Assembly

Anyone??
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 31st, 14, 11:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Nick M

Hey Nick,

I don't know much about the assembly you posted the link to, but scat stuff isn't bad at all. I don't know much about the pistons or balancer in the kit, but I'm sure they would be ok, but like I said, I've never used them. Everything else in the kit seems pretty good.

When I built my 383, I used an eagle Stroker kit and really liked it. You can get the kit with coated mahle pistons and it can come balanced from them as well. You can also get them without pistons and have it balanced by your machine shop.

I would like to build a 496 as well in the next year or two for my 69 vert. I saved this article from super Chevy online ( http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...g-block-build/ ) that I plan on basing my build off of. These guys use one of the eagle kits. It's a very good article.

I'm not sure if I helped you out and gave you what you were looking for, but figured I'd pass along my experience.

1969 Camaro convertible
2011 F-350 Diesel
1969 C-10 long bed with a 383-sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 31st, 14, 11:42 PM
Senior Tech
Grant

Seems like a really good deal, especially considering the price of the below linked kit only includes a cast crank. The linked kit doesn't include a balancer or flex plate either. I think the linked Scat kit would include the same pistons as the ebay kit. Do your own research on Probe pistons. I have seen some bad things written.

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...10bi/overview/

I am a big fan of Scat's gear. I think they are very good value for money. I have 2 rotating assemblies which include their cranks and con rods and I am impressed, though I have only installed one set so far. I can't comment on the balancer or bearings included in the ebay kit.

I have this SBC kit awaiting installation. My other assembly wasn't a kit.

http://www.summitracing.com/dom/part...50bi/overview/
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Nick, read the jumbled print or call Skip White. This kit does not come with a forged crank but it must be a Scat 9000 cast iron crank. It has Probe forged pistons and comes with good rings, bearings, flex plate and balancer. It says you can pay a little more for a Scat forged crank.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Thank you guys for the info I am still kind of undecided on which way to go with this build. My original plan was to just freshen the 427 but after thinking about the cost difference I was leaning towards the 496 build. I know 11.16 compression is a bit much for the street these days but I am kind of dead set on keeping my 840 Rectangular port heads & factory 163 intake as I want it to appear stock under the hood. The 427 was an 11-1 motor and I was able to just pull some timing out of it and seamed be livable with todays crappy 91 octane gas.

Doug,
What am I missing here.. isnt a 4340 Forged crank a steal crank? I have been out of the loop for a while & not really kept up with things. I am mostly just looking to build something that ran as good or a shade better than my old 425 horse 427 on a budget. My 427 block needs to go .060 so that is whay I was looking at the 496 potential build.

Thanks you again guys any and all advice on this is greatly appreciated.
Nick
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I think Doug is saying the wording in the ad may be misleading. I copied and pasted the text into Word where I could read it and I'm still not sure if the 4340 forged crank is included for the advertised price or not. I wouldn't pull the trigger on this one without calling the vendor as Doug suggests.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Oh I see, thank you. Yes I will defiantly call first if I end up going that route.
Thank you again guys..
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 07:53 PM
Senior Tech
George

I guess the key to this rotating assembly is if the piston pin height will match up properly with the deck height of your block after adding in the crank/rod lengths. If so, then you're good to go. If not and you're looking for 0 quench, this is the problem I've encountered looking into the kits. Just something to think about for your application.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I would not overlook your local machine shop if they are a dealer for Scat stuff. Mine was able to beat the price for my 383 assembly that I would have paid at any major online/parts place/etc. In addition, by ordering it through him he took on all the responsibility for QC, allowed me to spec my own pistons, etc. Also if there is an issue you have somebody local. I have bought a few things from Skip White and have been disappointed in the quality every time (I went in knowing what I was buying, but his photos made the parts look much better). Also, getting ahold of someone for returns and/or questions was a severe test of patience.

I saw someone on this board post that the more text an ad has, the more suspicious you should be and I think that applies.

I asked about Probe pistons when I was building my 383 (as I couldn't find an off the shelf forged slug of the correct dish for my setup other than Probe) and my shop said that quality had been hit and miss in his experience. He didn't say they were terrible and I have heard of many running them, but he wasn't a fan.

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 09:35 PM

I have a internally balanced scat forged rotating assembly with H-beam rods and 12cc dome forged pistons. That put the comp ratio at 10.1:1. I am very happy with it. I would definitely check to make sure you are getting what you pay for. Always gotta read the fine print carefully. It's a good price if it is true.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Thank you guy, I really appreciate the info..
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 14, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Nick, I can't see how that they can sell an all forged rotating assembly for that cheap. I bought an Eagle 496 rotating assembly about 18 months ago and paid $1740. Like I said they talk about two different kits and all the words are jumbled up in the ad making it hard to read. I looked up the Eagle kit this morning and it is selling for over $1900 and the same for Scat. There is nothing wrong with the Scat 9000 crank it just cast iron. If I was going to build a 496 I would buy that kit as it sure is a good price. If you do decide to purchase a kit ask them if they have a kit with flattop pistons or -12cc dome pistons if you have aluminum heads. Your compression would be in the low 9's with flattops and around 10.5 with the -12cc dome pistons.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nick

Thank you Doug, I contacted them and they said it is for sure a 4340 Forged crank. They said they do not stock the 12cc dome pistons so for the 1580.00 shipped price I went ahead and ordered the kit today with the 18cc domes. I will let you all know how this plays out. I am kind of on a tight budget and we all know how that turns out when doing things like this. lol..

Anyway it looks like with my 840 heads it will be at 11.16 which is higher than I would like but right about where I was with the old 427 and it seemed to happy on super unleaded with conservative timing.

So my next question is.. What do you all like for a camshaft in an 11-1 496? I was thinking about something like this..http://www.ebay.com/itm/201090298785...84.m1423.l2649

Am I way off base here? I figure the extra cubic inches will tame the cam a bit but I would like it to pull to 6-6200rpm. Is 500-525 horse power realistic out of this combo with my stock 163 intake & a 750 DP?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 14, 03:36 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Nick, do yourself a favor, like me your spending a LOT of $$ on a 496 build, dont let it all fall short with the wrong cam for your intended use and the details of your car (trans, rear end, wheels, vacuum etc) call Chris Straub and have one made specifically for 'you'

You will NOT be disappointed
Cheers
Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode