Power Steering Pump Housing Question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Power Steering Pump Housing Question

Here is a crazy question, but will this power steering housing be an issue. I swapped power steering housings today. The top one is the old one and it has a curved flange compared to the one on the bottom which is straight. I am just wondering if it could present any type of a clearance issue. The bottom housing is from my six cylinder motor. I didn't think about that potential issue. I won't know if I will have a clearance issue until the motor is in the car. If it is an issue I will have to pull it and replace the housing with a curved spout/flange. Hopefully someone has seen this situation before and can advise me. At some point I am going to really excited about not having to learn the hard way!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 02:08 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Power Steering Pump Housing Question

You mean the pipe outlet, right ? The top one is correct as the hose will go in under the oil pan, parallel with the cross member. There would be interference problems with the cross member using the bottom one (6 cyl). Check your AIM...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

That is what I was afraid of. I will powder coat another can with a curved outlet pipe and swap it out.

My Build Thread

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Hmmmm.....I "assume" mine to be original to my small block car, and it looks like the bottom one. Not even close to interfering with the crossmember as the crosmember has a large relief there.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

hmm, is right. I ain't so sure yours Al, doesn't have more bend to it than Mikes lower pic ? It needs plenty of room for belt adjustment.

Anyway, if you check the AIM, L6 and V8 use different pump assemblies. I'm not sure, but think the difference is in the pipe outlets.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

FWIW, mine looks like the top picture too Mike.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

This is exactly like mine http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...p-all-SB-1969/

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Hmmmm.....I "assume" mine to be original to my small block car, and it looks like the bottom one. Not even close to interfering with the crossmember as the crosmember has a large relief there.

Thanks Al that is great news. I just wanted to be sure. I would hate to get my car ready to drive and then have to mess with another power steering bucket! I am also going with the same set up as you on power steering brackets. I made a spacer just so I could size it out properly and then I will source a nice one like yours. Did you have any alignment issues with your power steering pulleys so that the fan belt turns true. Mine look like they will line up, but I won't know for sure until I get the belts on. Hopefully this week.

My Build Thread

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
hmm, is right. I ain't so sure yours Al, doesn't have more bend to it than Mikes lower pic ? It needs plenty of room for belt adjustment.

Anyway, if you check the AIM, L6 and V8 use different pump assemblies. I'm not sure, but think the difference is in the pipe outlets.
Hey Garth my car came with the six and used the same power steering pump. even though the tubes are bent, they still look like they resend pretty close to the same length. I will not know for certain unless I try it out, or swap the cans before I install the pump.

My Build Thread

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Hey Al looks like there are several different bends in the tubes on various pumps. Big block tubes for example turn to the left with a more pronounced bend. The one in the picture you posted is for most small block cars. The straight one like mine is only for the six cylinder cars. I am not convinced there will be a clearance issue, but I would like to know for certain, so I don't have a clearance issue when I install or have to swap cans out again. I guess the question is. HAs anyone ever installed a straight tube unit on a small block car? I think the big block motor sits lower in the car if I am not mistaken??

My Build Thread

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
FWIW, mine looks like the top picture too Mike.
Thanks Tim I am investigating now to see if I am safe or not! Wish me luck.

My Build Thread

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Here are some pics showing the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	73737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	73745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	73753  

My Build Thread

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Is the curved tube pump off your 68 ? Don't know if the year makes a difference ( I doubt it), but it looks just like mine.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Is the curved tube pump off your 68 ? Don't know if the year makes a difference ( I doubt it), but it looks just like mine.
The straight tube is off of the six cylinder 1969. It is the same car. I started out with the 6 and am doing the restoration on the six, only now dropping in an 8 cylinder.

Here is a better picture of the straight tube from the six/pump.

Both tubes seem to drop down the same length, even though one is straight and one is curved. So unless the position is an issue, it looks like it might be ok. As long as the tube does not hit the subframe. However if you look at Al's picture it does look like there is a lot of room there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	73761  

My Build Thread

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
Thanks Al that is great news. I just wanted to be sure. I would hate to get my car ready to drive and then have to mess with another power steering bucket! I am also going with the same set up as you on power steering brackets. I made a spacer just so I could size it out properly and then I will source a nice one like yours. Did you have any alignment issues with your power steering pulleys so that the fan belt turns true. Mine look like they will line up, but I won't know for sure until I get the belts on. Hopefully this week.
Hey Al what finish is on the spacer between the alternator bracket and the header. It looks like the same finish as your header.

My Build Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode