Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

gutless going uphill, dies in "R"

Folks:

Help!

My car seemingly runs fine on the level, and will creep also forward at just above idle.

However, going uphill the car can barely get out of its own way until the rpm's creep up to 2500rpm, then the power kicks in like an on/off switch.

At idle, the engine dies when I shift the TH350 to "R" and try to move. The car will creep forward just off idle, but cannot handle reverse unless I gun the throttle. Which kind of sux because I have to back into a tight parking space, and if I don't stop in time, I will knock over my Shovelhead.

The R problem baffles me, but the gutless on hills is reminiscent of the time I had the timing belt one tooth off on a DOHC Mazda.

Here are the specs:
GM 350ci/290hp crate engine
Initial timing set at 6BTDC because I could only get 14lbs vacuum at 4BTDC
Car gets 17lbs vacuum at idle, with dizzy plugged into manifold (full time) vacuum
Edelbrock 1406 (floats properly adjusted now) w/stock 4lb step up springs
MSD 8360 Pro Billet dizzy, dead stock:
VA can 10 degrees max at 15lbs
21 degrees stop bushing
Silver (slowest) advance springs

Right now, the only adjustments immediately available to me are initial timing and step up springs. Everything else seemingly involves springs or jets I don't have at hand. Sorry I cannot post full advance curve numbers, but I'll procure me a dial back timing light during my June trip back to the US of A. I do have the full set of step up springs available from Edelbrock.

67 RS in Japan.

"You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 08:01 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: gutless going uphill, dies in "R"

Below 2500 rpm in drive and no power on a hill sounds like you are in the wrong gear (drive). Then when you hit 2500 the fact that the power comes on all of a sudden sounds like the trans is kicking down into 2nd. What rear gear ratio and how tall are your rear tires? If you have 26-27" tires and 3.08 gears you are going somewhere around 60mph in drive @ 2500rpm. Your engine probably doesn't make a lot of power below 2500 rpm as well! What you are experiencing is probably fairly normal and you just need to manually downshift to keep the rpm up when pulling a hill!

As for not idling in reverse it's my experience that reverse tends to drop the idle rpm just a little lower than a forward gear does. What is your idle rpm in park? What is the rpm in gear? That 6degs at idle is more than factory but your engine will like more I'd start at 10deg btdc, if the distributor has 21 degs mechanical (centrifical) you should be able to run as much as 14-16 initial. Really need more data to say more...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Try adjusting the initial timing up to 10 degrees (you'll have to back the idle down once you get the vac advance reconnected) and try swapping out the 8360's pair of heavy silver springs for the pair of blue springs. It'll come alive.
If that does good, then swap out the blue stop bushing for the silver one and it should give you 25 degrees advance to get your total up to 35 all in at around 3400.
Then if it likes that, change out one of the blue springs for a light silver spring and it'll drop your all in to just below 3000.
Or just jump right to the end and go backwards from there which I think is where you're going to wind up anyways.

Oh, and it sounds like you know what you're doing but just to clarify your initial timing is with the vac advance plugged, right?

With your current spring setup and initial, once you load the engine going uphill and the vac advance drops out you're only sitting at about 16 degrees total timing at 2500 RPM and I'm not surprised that it won't get out of its own way. I bet you don't notice it so much on level ground with light throttle.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

D-oh! Boy, do I feel stupid. I meant inches of vacuum, not pounds. Sorry, long day and I just had the numbers written on my cheat sheet, not the units.

Okay! Will try the blue springs and 10BTDC, etc. And yes, the initial timing was set with the vacuum line to the dizzy disconnected and plugs.

Many thanks!

67 RS in Japan.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Oops! Blue springs are for the dizzy, will have to procure during my US trip. Also, will measure tire height tomorrow. 1145PM right now.

67 RS in Japan.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 14, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Sorry, figured you bought the 8360 new. It comes with the spring kit.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Actually, your post prompted me to rummage thorugh the box of parts and instruction manuals which crossed the Pacific along with the car. Voila! I found the parts kit! Unfortunately, today was my day to work on the car but my priorities got re-arranged. Not sure if I'll be able to get to it between now and the day I take off for the 'States.

67 RS in Japan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode