Carb flooding while cranking - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Carb flooding while cranking

So i had my car apart for for quite some time, its all back together now. The carb is an old model 4 barrel holley, double pumper. Fuel supply is mechanical with a gauge but no regulator. I did not do anything to the carb besides take it off and place it back on. It worked great before disassembly.

Now when I crank the engine it floods itself, it will start to fire then die. When I look at the carb its soaked in fuel. I know its flooding itself but I have no idea why. Im not very versed in carburetors. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Carb flooding while cranking

The float assembly may be gummed up or stuck. When the fuel bowl fills up, the float lifts and shuts a needle valve to keep fuel from coming into the bowl. Think of it kinda like the water shutoff inside in your toilet tank...if that float got a hole in it or got stuck down your water would just run and run. On a toilet, it just goes down the doody pipe but on a carb it's got nowhere to go but out the vents and other orifices. Sometimes you can rap the bowls on the side with a screwdriver handle or something and get it to come loose. Other than that it's not too bad to take the bowls off and check them. Those two large screws and jam nuts on top are for setting the float level which will set the bowl fuel level higher or lower before the needle valve shuts.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Chances are you are gonna find some junk on the needle valve or seat. It doesn't take much, hope you have good eyes.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Alright sweet, So take the bowls off and inspect for crud, where are the "needles" going to be located? Do any of you have a diagram of any sort?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Start off with the simple stuff with the bowl on the carb. The needle and seat-look at how many threads are
showing so you get the fuel level close to where it was. Remove the needle and seat and spray compressed
air in it with the pointed tip held open. Before you screw it back in, lube the rubber O ring with a tad of oil so it doesn't tear.

Note: fuel level height is performed with the engine running. If you don't have a clear site plug on the side of the bowl for setting
the height then remove the side screw and adjust the level so fuel is just sitting at the bottom if the threads. Test it by nudging your
fender and gas should trickle out. NOTE: do not drive the car with clear site plugs cause they will melt. They are only used for setting
the fuel level.

These are from my web page.
Remove lock screw while holding adjustment nut. (note on assembly-turning this nut CW lowers the float and turning it CC will raise it.

Then lift nut off and note where the paper gaskets are.

Then unscrew the needle/seat with your fingers, it's 1 piece.

Fuel level site plug. Note tin gasket.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Nice pictures Mark.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 14, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I love pics, they tell the whole story.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wow thanks for the great info! I got the bowls off and cleaned them up, I noticed one bowl kind of gets jammed if pressed down. Im assuming it probably got stuck while the carburetor was being moved around, when it was off the engine. It's running great now. Thanks for all the help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

It's nice when a plan comes together. More info on my Web Site if you need it http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/holley.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode