Installing driver side header. What's the trick? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Installing driver side header. What's the trick?

This may seem like a stupid question. But I am wondering what the secret is to getting the drivers side header installed. I got the passenger side in no problem as there is so much more room on that side. On the drivers side the header is getting hung up between the power steering gear and the brake system as well as the dip stick. I am also not sure if it is easier to install from the top or the bottom. What is the best way to install.

Do I need to raise the motor or jack up the car or remove anything to make it easier? It's a bit of a mystery right now. I tried a few things, but no luck. There must be an obvious trick that I am missing somewhere.

Also the header on the passenger side is just slightly rubbing against the fuel line. I tried to bend the fuel line a bit and got the gap about a quarter of an inch, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has had this problem, with the after market fuel line and headers. I am assuming this would not be a problem with stock exhaust manifolds, perhaps not an issue with other brands of headers. My headers are Hooker Super Competition.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: Installing driver side header. What's the trick?

you need to raise your car 18- 20" and install from the bottom
I have supper comps and had no problem
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
you need to raise your car 18- 20" and install from the bottom
I have supper comps and had no problem
Thanks Kevin. I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case. Were you able to clear the dipstick?

My Build Thread

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
Thanks Kevin. I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case. Were you able to clear the dipstick?
the dip stick is a pain in the a$$, but the header will go
I found if you take 2 pieces of all thread and screw them in the easiest holes that you can place your bolts in, it is like having another set of hands to get the harder to place bolts in
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
the dip stick is a pain in the a$$, but the header will go
I found if you take 2 pieces of all thread and screw them in the easiest holes that you can place your bolts in, it is like having another set of hands to get the harder to place bolts in
Thanks Kevin. I think the header has to go over/on top of the dipstick and then back down again if I am not mistaken.

My Build Thread

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 06:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I put mine in from the top but had to take out the motor mount bolt and jack up that side of the engine.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
I put mine in from the top but had to take out the motor mount bolt and jack up that side of the engine.
Thanks Andrew I had considered that as an option as well. I will try one of the suggested methods and see what works best for me.

My Build Thread

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I've not done Hooker Super Comps but on the ones I've done drivers side header goes up from underneath. I remove the spark plugs and the dipstick & tube and then as long as the front end is jacked up high enough the ones I've done go right up into place.

On the fuel line I'd suggest you re-shape it to get it as far away from the header and as close to the frame as you can.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
x2, That's the best way for sure. Raise the car up some too.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I took the dipstick tube out and removed the z-bar, then was able to wiggle them in from the bottom. I also had to remove the mechanical temp sender in the head. The car was on 8" high ramps in the front and leveled with jack stands in the rear.

The new headers I'm building are using 3 piece head flanges so the dipstick and temp sender wont be an issue.

Your fuel line looks to be in the wrong place. It should come up through the outside of the frame then across the top of the frame. That threaded hole on the top of the frame uses a "P" clamp to hold the fuel line in place. At least that's how it is on a 67 and it would solve your fuel line issue.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old May 24th, 14, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Agreed with Scott, Post 8, when I put Hooker SC's on.
Remove all and install from bottom.
Laying a moving blanket down protects the coating.
Using a 3/8 drive 7/16 inch crowsfoot wrench works better because the jaws are not as fat as a regular open end wrench.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Some headers come coated and bubble wrapped, might leave the wrap on and install from bottom. I needed car on jack stands about 24" off ground from subframe and installed straight up from bottom. Less scratches on coating with wrap on. . Remove wrapping when done.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thanks Don. My headers are not new and are ceramic coated. I will wrap them with something however to make sure nothing gets scratched. 2 feet is a quite a lift. I hope my jack gives that high. I will know soon enough.

My Build Thread

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

If your jack won't go that high, place one or more 2"x4"s approximately 12" long laying flat and from front to back between the center of the sub frame cross member and the jack and then jack it as high as it will go and place jack stands under the sub frame on each side. Lower the jack and add/stack as many more 2"x4"s on top of the jack to add the additional height you need and then jack the car up again and reset the jack stand height. If you have some 12" or so long sections of 4"x4" or 6"x6" it's even better than multiple 2"x4" pieces. Reverse the process when you're done.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Mike, I've done a few like Luwi67 did, and to add the engine was raised up on the driver side to clear the steering box from underneath, ramps and jack stands are what I used. My first set I installed from under the car in the pouring rain with my rain gear on. I still laugh about that one. My wife wanted to know if I was part chicken. I've actually installed the driver header by putting it in the engine compartment first and then dropped the engine in on one occasion. Just have to have someone hold it out of the way a little and then maneuver it around as the engine comes down to the frame stands. I think someone told me years ago to install the driver side first.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode