Broken Bolt - Removing Old Carb - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
RW

Broken Bolt - Removing Old Carb

I am doing a ground up restoration on a 1967 Camaro (base model, 327, 2 bbl Carb). While removing the original carburetor, I broke the front bolt (coming up from intake manifold on passenger side). I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if you had any suggestion on how to fix this bolt.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 02:43 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Broken Bolt - Removing Old Carb

A few details - snapped off at the base of the manifold or is there a piece sticking up - enough to attach another nut and then a bolt for leverage after using some penetrating oil?

If she is snapped off at the base you can try to drill it out or let your local machine shop drill it out, tap or insert a coil so you can reuse it.

You can do it yourself if you have a shop but it has to drilled out and tapped straight and centered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
RW

It was rusted most of the way through; only a little piece stick up from intake manifold (about the size of a pencil led)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
RW

Here is a picture of the Carb Mount and broken bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarbMount.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	74266  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 04:15 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

So it was a stud not a bolt. Well you can try this DIY solution.

Tape off the intake to avoid dumping scrap into the intake throat. Take a grinder and carefully score a cross cut in the exposed head like you were creating a Phillips screw head. Then spray liberally with some PB Blaster penetrating oil and let it sit a day. Check it so often to make sure there is a reservoir of PB on the top so it can penetrate the threads. They after a day dry off any remaining PB. With the biggest Phillips you have and with as much torque as you can create slowly try to back the remaining part of the stud out.

If that fails you can then try those screw extractor kits, if that fails then try to drill out the stud.
Again here is the warning: You have to be perfect the first time or else the Frankenstein hole you make and eventually the stud you get into it will be inthe wrong position.

To drill it out you will need a power drill (battery ones don't usually have the balls.) and you will need to get a 5/16-18 Heli-coil kit. Buy the kit first and follow the directions on how large to drill out the stud. This will bring the oversized hole you make getting the stud out usable again with a normal stud.

The last option of least resistance, with the 100% success rate is to let a machine shop drill and tap the intake for you.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 04:17 PM
Tech Team
Randy Mitton

Happened to me on the exact same bolt.I drilled a hole and used an easy-out and it came right out, chased the threads and installed new stud.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 05:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I hate to ask so please don't hate me. How far along are you on this restoration? It might be better to change course and build it as a pro street car. It looks as if there might well be more frustrations such as this ahead if trying to return to stock.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
RW

Thank you all so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!

I will give it a shot next weekend!!!!

@ Fred Ficarra! No hard feelings. I definitely understand, and have thought that myself many times. Although there are a lot of frustrations, It is truly a labor of love.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 06:22 PM
jno
Senior Tech
Jim

If you have a screw extractor set, then just drill the hole out with the recommended drill size for rhe e tractor you are using.
If you dont have a screw extractor set, then try the following;
When you drill the stud out, use a center punch/hammer to get your center location. ( Keeps the drill from walking)
Then start with a drill smaller than the tap drill size for the stud size. ( Look at a tap drill chart) and go at least 1/16" smaller than the tap drill size. That way you won't drill out any of the threads if you aren't right on center. Hopefully, the combination of drilling the center of the stud out, and using some Penetrating oil, will cause the stud to loosen up.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I would take a grade 8 nut and place it over the stud. While holding it with a pair of pliers or vice grips, fill the center of the nut with weld. I have done it with my trusty mig many times . The heat will help too. Just did the exact same stud on a big block last week.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 12:05 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
I would take a grade 8 nut and place it over the stud. While holding it with a pair of pliers or vice grips, fill the center of the nut with weld. I have done it with my trusty mig many times . The heat will help too. Just did the exact same stud on a big block last week.
I was thinking about that too but wasn't sure there was enough to grab on to without welding the nut to the intake. But then again my welding skills are not going to get me anyplace soon.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 12:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws981 View Post

@ Fred Ficarra! No hard feelings. I definitely understand, and have thought that myself many times. Although there are a lot of frustrations, It is truly a labor of love.
Just checking. I know the feeling.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 12:54 AM
Senior Tech
wayne

Quote:
X2 on the nut and MIG welder

Most likely your best bet to get that stud out.

68 Camaro 327
68 Firebird 400
47 CJ2A

B.C. Camaro Club

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 01:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Wouldn't heating the area with a torch help out here? I've seen it done on a number of occasions as a kid but never have done it my self except maybe on exhaust manifold studs. Kind of like do all the above first then add a little heat and then use the extractor/easy out. Can't tell you how many easy outs I've broken in my life time. Never ever worked for me.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Yep, only way to pull a rotten stud out.
But the end of the bolt , grind a taper to a piont make a V to load a lot of weld in turn the mig feed right down so damn near tigging and heat up.

And if worried about the surrounding surfaces, a couple layers of masking tape or a 1mm layer of silcone sealant.

Dont even try putting a slot in the top.. the metal is rotten and will give far less to weld to WHEN that fails.
Dont go the helli coil route...avoid if at all possble.. those are for ppl who rip proverbial and bust...see below
Drilling/ Ezee outs....dont even bother if cant put the manifold in a drill press to drill square... And snap the ezee out inside u are in for even bigger problems drilling that hi tensile steel and If fails now have nothing to weld

If all fails, u can end up drilling out a std size larger, re tap the hole and there is a chance the carb will still drop over the slightly larger stud on that cnr.. If not its only a very minor drill out to make fit.

All of the above is 40 yrs hands on experience.. not google theory.

But what I would be doing is replace the 2 barrel carb with a modest duel plane valley cover and a 400 to 500 vac sec 4 barrel Holley.
Then maybe look at a modest street cam later.

Put a bit of life and better economy into the old girl.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode