Pass header/floorpan clearance - is this normal? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Pass header/floorpan clearance - is this normal?

Ok, so I installed my driver header and it clears everything and has plenty of room between the floor and end of the header/collector flange. The pass one has only about 1/4-3/8" gap between the flange and the floor. Is this normal? It looks like the header actually angles UP at the bottom when the mounting flange is level. Is this normal or should I try to replace this header with another one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Pass header/floorpan clearance - is this normal?

Oh yeah, it's a 69 with a 350 sbc and the headers are Hooker Competition.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 07:49 AM
Team Member
Darin

I've put headers on a few of my cars,none looked like that.
I have some hooker super comps for my 68 camaro not yet installed,if they look like that,they will be going back.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

just measured mine. (super comps)
I have 5/8" clearance on the passenger side and 2" on the drivers side
I am using BB frame mounts
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks Kevin! I appreciate the measurement. I have a call into Hooker tech so I'll mention that when I talk to them. I'm thinking the bend at the bottom is just a little too sharp....at least I hope that's it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I once saw a guy place a 4' piece of pipe in the collector on a set of flowtech headers on the passenger side to get clearance.
I asked what the he77 are you doing? he said there is no room. it will either come, bleed or blister
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Well, I just talked to Hooker and they said this is the normal clearance for the Hooker Competition headers. He said there is normally 1/4"-5/16" clearance only with those headers because they are universal fit headers and they are designed to fit on Chevelles, etc, etc.... So the sharper bend is normal unfortunately. Guess I need to have my exhaust place make a little bend down after the collector so I can go under the trans crossmember now. Man, if it's not one thing, it's another! Gotta love working on cars! I really do, but sometimes I get frustrated with all the little things that need fixed!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Hookers are like this.
Yes, I did the trick Kevin did also and went from there.
But I was using extensions on the collectors - improve low end torque.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I've got a set of 2 1/8" Super Comps. Not on the car, they're in the barn. And it's just for this sort of thing. If there's a way to screw up fitment, Hooker seems to do it. Let me go get my list of bitches from my web site. Be right back,,,,,

(Here's the text)
"229.
Well, this picture makes the work look better than it was. The new headers are causing several unseen problems. 1. The locking steering column lock lever hits the #5 tube. I had to reverse the actuating rod and also bend the column lever. 2. The number six tube was touching the upper idler arm mounting bolt. 3. The #2 tube was interfering with the tie rod end. It needed to be dented-in a quarter inch. 4. And look at that spark plug access for #'s 5 and 7! Number 5 plug can only be installed with an open-end wrench on the socket and #7 can only be accessed from below by JACKING UP THE CAR. Even the plug wire has to be routed to the rear of the head and come up from below! 5. Don't forget the pound of iron I had to grind off of the block to recess the starter motor. And it's a mini starter! 6. After starting the engine a new vibration was apparent. The #5 tube was hitting the power steering steel line. I bent it clear. Of course that is not the fault of Hooker. These headers are sold for non-power steering cars. 7.The drivers side collector flange is rotated so as to place the wider bolt area straight down to reduce ground clearance needlessly. I sure wish I had my Mickey Thompson Super Scavengers back. UPDATE; Add another outrageous design feature. (02/29/2008) I just removed the passenger header to have a bung welded to it for the O2 sensor of the new Retrotek fuel injection. I HAD TO PULL THE ENGINE MOUNT BOLT and jack up the engine so all the twists and turns of the pipes would clear the frame. That makes 8 crappy faults and counting! Grrrr I'VE HAD IT! These damn things are OUT. Wanna buy 'em? A good man at the Team Camaro site knew how much I hated these things and wished I had my MT Super Scavengers back. Well, he found them in reproduction!!!! I bought them. Check out film strip #5, photo #343.
I'VE HAD IT! These damn things are OUT. Wanna buy 'em? A good man at the Team Camaro site knew how much I hated these things and wished I had my MT Super Scavengers back. Well, he found them in reproduction!!!! I bought them. Check out film strip #5, photo #343."

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Brian
I know you seem to working on a Small Block but I side with Fred, I too went thru the Hooker "Header Roulette" for my Big Block install into my 69 SSRS.

I talked to Hooker and Summit, Hooker said they are the Proper Listing for my car, another Team Camaro member has the same 69, Engine is a BB and also has Power Steering and does not have any Fitment Issues.
Summit said Hookers Tooling and Manufacturing tolerances are not as good from Header to Header.

I put a set of Doug's D320's, yes, not for a Small Block but Summit took back the Hookers, no questions asked.

2 things I would look for is if too close, could be a Heat issue and sound problem if you only have the Carpet, hate to heat up the Carpet and see it start to smoke.

And what does it look like from the Side, we all look at angles and Header/ Exhaust System Installs, a pitch up too much with the Primaries and Collectors, for what we pay for these Headers, they should look right too

I wanted to stay Loyal to the Hookers, had'em in HS but also needed something I did not have to work over with a Torch and Ball Peen Hammer.
Timmy from Trumbull, CT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4209.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	74354   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4218.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	74362   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4219.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	74370  

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Brian,

I wouldn't be okay with headers that fit/look like that. I and one other Team Camaro member (Mike McMasters) have been on a bit of a ride with the header issue but we are nearing the end of our journey. We both went with Dynatech large tube 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" stepped headers and while there were some issues that came up, Dynatech was very responsive in addressing them and making modifications so that they really fit very well. If you're running an auto transmission the previous revision which is already available will work. If you're running a manual transmission with clutch linkage and Z-bar, you'll need the latest revision which is currently at the ceramic coating vendor as I type this reply. See the following thread for more details and photos; https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=267961

Good luck,
Scott

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 28th, 14, 05:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

very happy with Patriot headers...small block, and can even use the stock retunr spring location for the clutch.

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 02:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Hey Brian have you tried installing your exhaust yet to see how much of a fitment issue you have?

Here is my fit with the same headers. However it does look like the drivers side sits lower on my car as well. Perhaps the tolerances on the Hooker Super comps are not that tight? What engine mounts are you using? Also note that my headers are not new. I am not sure how old they are to be honest, but I think they are fairly old.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 05:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I ad the same problem with some summit brand headers. The drivers side has a larger gap for the torque movement. My headers were Headman sold by summit. I sent them back a few times, and they were all about the same on the passenger's side. I finally just took a map gas torch to the bottom tubes and pulled down with a six foot bar I have. I know this is not the way to do it, but was frustrated. The tube bent with a little effort to where I wanted it. My headers are ceramic coated, and still look great. Next time I will use Patriot headers, but these are working fine at the moment. I am running the reverse lock out, and factory return spring too. Good luck

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 08:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Has anyone had this problem with the Z-Bar spring touching the headers. Any solution that is the go to?

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode