Tore down engine - rods are all out of order - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Tore down engine - rods are all out of order

I have a '72 350 that came in a '68 camaro I'm putting together. Before I pulled the motor I started it and it ran pretty good. I noticed that it needed valve seals when I took the exhaust manifolds off so I desided to pop the heads off and inspect them. While I was at it, I also dropped the oil pan to pop off a bearing cap and check those out. I discovered that the rods are all out of order??? It's not like they are even backwards they are all jumbled up. Really weird. The bore looks good but its at 0.080 over, bearings show normal wear (0.010 under). I was thinking of using a flex hone, putting in a new set of rings, and installing new main and rod bearings. Should I put the rods back in the same order or press off the pistons, keep them in the same bores and move the rods. Usually I have the machine shop do the work but I don't want to sink a bunch of funds into an 0.080 block. I have a shop press, should I use that for the pistons? I wasn't going to touch the crank.

Thoughts??

John

1968 Camaro -tear down in process
1967 Chevelle Malibu 396, 4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 01:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: Tore down engine - rods are all out of order

at .080 over that block is just about shot. I can't imagine you have any ring seal

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

How are they out of order? Did someone previously number them?

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

From what I can tell the engine has been apart before and not too many mile ago. No ridge and still has some cross hatching. Why would it have a bad ring seal if it has the correct 0.080 pistons? I though it would just have an increase in the bore cracking because its so thin.

John

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 14, 03:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Is there really an issue if the rods are in the wrong position if they were reconditioned and new pistons were installed on a fresh rebuild? I have seen a few engines with the rod numbers in different locations, didn't think it was a problem. If somebody was just to do a re ring and bearings with a light hone I'm pretty sure the pistons need to go back into the same hole they came of. Am I wrong?

With my humble engine building experience I have never rebuilt an engine more than .030 over but I have seen guys go .060 over and not think twice about it. .080 I would think there would be some heating issues? Just a guess on my part.

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 14, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

I ordered new pistons, rings and all new bearings. Should I put the rods back the way the came out or according to how they are numbered? I was not planning on taking the crank and rods down to the machine shop

John

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 14, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech
Al

You're going to have to have a machine shop press the pins on if they are that type. To properly press a piston you need a locating fixture and heat the crap out of the rod. If they're floaters they'll have to fit the pins, honing either the rod or the piston or both for the proper clearance.

The numbers stamped on the rods are likely from a previous rebuild - good chance they're not even original to your motor. Production rebuild shops just grab 8 rods that'll work and use 'em regardless of what number might be stamped on them. If you're just going to slap it back together keep them in the order you found them.

Worthwhile in my opinion to take them the crank, rod and pistons, have the rods resized as well as pin fit and have the assembly balanced.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 14, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

In my humble opinion I would have the balance checked on the crank and rods. If the previous builder had that done then the order they are should stay. If the balancing was not performed than taking the extra effort to ensure balance of the rotating assembly will be critical. Just my 2 cents. I have a 396 bored to a 407 (.060), had to replace crank due to foreign debris in oil pan and had a local engine builder balance everything. Good luck
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 14, 09:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

If the motor ran fine than i would put it back the way it was. You are indeed correct in your thinking that you do not want to put to much money into that block. Why bother with rings , was it burning oil? If not leave them besides it was probably the oil seals in the heads.

If it goes into a shop i feel you are going to find out that you need to spend more and it is not worth it on that 80. over motor.

Fix the oil seals in the head and because main bearings are cheap throw some in seeing how it is apart. As far as the rings go leave them as is other wise you need to get a ridge reamer to get them out and hone the bores to accept the rings to give them a chance to survive. The work and cost will just keep adding up.

Put the thing back together and run it till it won't run anymore! Than go put good money into a good block and do things right from the start. The motor was not balanced at the factory so i would not put the money into that on this particular block. Save your money for gas!

Personally i would

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode