Edelbrock 1400 electric choke black wire melted - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeremy

Edelbrock 1400 electric choke black wire melted

Hi All,

I just finished installing a new Edelbrock 7501 Air Gap intake, it is replacing an old Edelbrock C3BX manifold. The intake went fairly smooth and as expected. Once I got it all put back together I fired it up and bam, bright red glowing wire and smoke near the carb... Oh crap#%!&@^

So the Electric choke has two wires a black one that was connected to the body of the carb previously so I left it there during this install and a second wire, I assume power coming from the engine harness, it's red but may not be original so not sure color helps...

So the black wire, I assume the ground is the wire that smoked. My guess is that the electric choke failed and shorted internally? Can't think of what else it could be? Anyway I disconnected the power wire and clipped the charred remains of the ground wire and she fired right up. I timed it and she is running strong?

Any ideas beside what I already said? The current carb is an EGR Edlebrock 1400. I was think about swapping it for a 1405 with Electric choke kit but was going to wait a while until I was sure the intake install was all good. Perhaps this is a sign that I should have done that to being with?

Thanks in advance, this forum is awesome and for the most part responsible for helping me keep my ride on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeremy

Re: Edelbrock 1400 electric choke black wire melted

Hey guys, I just thought of a quick follow up question. How can I tell what state my choke is in now? Is it stuck wide closed, wide open... Not really sure how to tell?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywrags View Post
Hi All,

I just finished installing a new Edelbrock 7501 Air Gap intake, it is replacing an old Edelbrock C3BX manifold. The intake went fairly smooth and as expected. Once I got it all put back together I fired it up and bam, bright red glowing wire and smoke near the carb... Oh crap#%!&@^

So the Electric choke has two wires a black one that was connected to the body of the carb previously so I left it there during this install and a second wire, I assume power coming from the engine harness, it's red but may not be original so not sure color helps...

So the black wire, I assume the ground is the wire that smoked. My guess is that the electric choke failed and shorted internally? Can't think of what else it could be? Anyway I disconnected the power wire and clipped the charred remains of the ground wire and she fired right up. I timed it and she is running strong?

Any ideas beside what I already said? The current carb is an EGR Edlebrock 1400. I was think about swapping it for a 1405 with Electric choke kit but was going to wait a while until I was sure the intake install was all good. Perhaps this is a sign that I should have done that to being with?

Thanks in advance, this forum is awesome and for the most part responsible for helping me keep my ride on the road.
First of all...if the power wire feeding the choke circuit was fused (maximum 10 amp fuse as required), the black ground wire would have never "smoked". You need to verify which wire the power is coming from, with a test light or voltmeter, then verify the + and - leads on the choke housing. Connect the - with a short jumper to the carb housing. Connect the + to a fused source, preferably within the ignition switch circuit "on" position. Sounds as though the wires may have been crossed!

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 03:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Is it possible that there is no longer a body ground from the carb through the new intake to the block to the ground straps to the body?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 14, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Pull the electric choke housing off the carburetor and inspect it inside and out for a short, use an ohm meter to check it out and the problem should reveal itself.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeremy

So I did some testing and verified that the + side was connected to ignition hot and that the black was connected to the carb body. The only thing that changed was the manifold, I never disconnected the ground so crossed wires is not a possibility. My old intake was a C3BX which I believe was aluminum like the new one but is it possible that the new one is not providing a decent ground? Should I hook the ground wire to something other than the Carb Body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
carburetor, choke, edlebrock, melted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode