Power steer bracket woes - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 14, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Power steer bracket woes

Problem is I really dont know what I have engine wise and pump bracket wise other than a engine (350) supposedly out of a truck. Guy put a new power steer pump and hoses on it 5 miles ago. he had the obviously wrong pully on it for the crank pulley position. They were trying to run side by side grooves instead of in line grooves as they should be and they are only inches apart but sideset almost a full pully width and tried to correct it with a few washers that threw one end toward where it should be.

So I scour parts places for a pulley with more dish to set it back where it belongs. Had machine shop make center hole slightly larger to fit.

Put it on and belt is loose tried tightening it and it gets half way there and the nut on the new pressure line hits the bracket thats attached to header bolt. Resulting in VERY little adjustment space.

Bracket 'looks' like it was ground down for relief of the offending nut but not enuf.

How is it supposed to work since the line and the bracket want the same spot?? any one have a pic of bracket??? Are ALL brackets the pump hangs in the same for 69 thru 1980-something?? DID pulley location (either crank or pump) change thru those years?

Is my only option to grind and relief it more?

Related note ,,,IF you take the pump and bracket off the line is loose on the pump,tighten it and before you get it 'on' its loose again,,,and it leaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 14, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Power steer bracket woes

The power steering brackets are all different and specific to each application.

1969 with a small block use these brackets :

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 14, 11:28 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Power steer bracket woes

thanks for the pics and diagrams,,,that is what I have. Problem is when you rotate the pump to tighten the belt the pressure line smacks the yellow bracket(in diagram above),,,or the first black bracket(in pic above),,, dead on.

Do I have the wrong pump?Are there differences of where the pressure lines exits the pump so it can tighten? A different fitting does not look like it would work because its a preformed hose and has to be about there unless a slight 22 degree bend maybe to make clearance. The large nut on the hose screws into a brass adapter coming from pump,,,right?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 04:11 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Power steer bracket woes

Perhaps your power steering belt is one or two sizes larger than it should be causing the pump to need to move further than it should to tighten the belt?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...power+steering

I just looked at mine, and it is very close to hitting also. Meaning I can't tighten that belt anymore. Just as recommended above... try a shorter belt.

Last edited by TJS69; Jun 5th, 14 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode