How close to dead is it? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage
How close to dead is it?

I hear piston slap at start up AND anything over 2.5k rpm... That and my number 2 rocker keeps coming loose; or so I thought. After the second time I adjusted it, I scored the nut and the stud... It stayed in line but had a .02 gap after two weeks. Stupid tapping... Is my lifter is collapsing a lot or am I slowly sanding a lobe smooth? Push rod is straight btw. Thanks y'all!!!!

- Rob

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: How close to dead is it?

How did you determine the noise is piston slap?

Does your engine have a flat tappet camshaft and lifters?

If so, you may be losing a lobe and/or a lifter based on your description.

How many miles on the engine, and the camshaft/lifters?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage

Well, I say its slap because it sounds like a few old Chevys that I've heard right before the owners got the things bored and new pistons dropped in to eliminate the issue; successfully. Also, a mechanic friend of mine made some off hand comment about the lovely sounds that old Chevys make and he too said it sounded like slap. As for the cam, its a hydro flat that has a LOT of miles on it and is from a very old build. roughly 20k miles put on it since last February. Prior to that is unknown.
- Rob

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 02:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Pull the rocker, turn the engine by hand and measure (roughly) the pushrod movement. Should be on the order of .300" for a cam with .450" lift. (cam lift spec/1.5 rocker ratio)

Compare lift to another similar intake or exhaust pushrod and you will be able to tell if the lobe is gone.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage

That's a really good idea. I should have thought of that.... Dial indicator to the rescue! Mtf...
. - Rob

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 09:50 PM
Senior Tech
John

Make sure that rocker stud isn't pulling out of the head.

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 14, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage

The stud is fine.... The lobe on the other hand... It's off by roughly 5 hundredths compared to the next two intake lobes. Oh well, drive it till she politely tells me to stop it. lol
- Rob

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 14, 12:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtchaney View Post
The stud is fine.... The lobe on the other hand... It's off by roughly 5 hundredths compared to the next two intake lobes. Oh well, drive it till she politely tells me to stop it. lol
- Rob
Looks like you are facing the decision of what cam to try next.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 14, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Garage

Now to convince my wife that an LS1 is cheaper in the long run.
- Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode