Minimum cylinder head needed for 383 stroker - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 14, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JPT

Minimum cylinder head needed for 383 stroker

Hello all,

I am just about to have my 383 stroker built and I would like some input on cylinder heads. The engine is intended to have about a 9.75 compression ratio and a mild Comp Cams hydraulic roller.

I am after 430 HP and 430 FT LBS torque from a 383 stroker in a street driven 1969 Camaro. I realize that there are top shelf aluminum cylinder heads out there from companies like AFR, Brodix, etc. There are iron heads from Chevy, Dart, etc. that would also work. Intake valves can be 2.02 or 1.94 or even other dimensions.

I am trying to go easy on the budget by not buying more cylinder head than I really need to achieve my goals. For example, AFR 195 Eliminator heads are excellent pieces, expensive, and would easily help make 430 HP and 430 FT LBS. However,these AFR heads are so good that I am probably leaving 70-100 potential HP on the table due to my mild cam and mild compression ratio.

I think I would be better served with lesser cylinder head and lower cost.

What I am looking for is advice on what type of cylinder head ( valve sizes, runner cfm, aluminum vs. iron, CNC porting vs. no porting at all, etc.) should I buy to achieve my goals.

Thanks for your help.

John T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 14, 03:41 PM
Banned
Chet

Re: Minimum cylinder head needed for 383 stroker

If you were to search on google cylinder head comparisons on Super Chevy and Chevy High Performance magazine sites you will find clear and easy to understand head comparisons. If this is just a street car, I wouldn't spend the money on the AFR's either. The Brodix IK 200 and the Dart Pro1 200 cc heads are tough to beat. If you haven't bought the intake yet, consider the very good Bowtie Vortec head in the 200 cc size. Cast iron head with aluminum performance.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 14, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

From what I've seen, any decent aluminum head will cost ~ $1200. The AFR's and E-tec edelbrocks cost 1400-1600, so you won't save that much money.

If it was my engine, I would go with the E-tec 170 edelbrocks. They are used on Edelbrock crate engines up to ~ 440 hp.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 14, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I am running 65cc chamber AFR 195 Eliminators (street porting, not the competition) on my 383 with just under 10:1 static and a Lunati 60112 (Voodoo Hyd Roller, 535/550 lift, 231/239 duration at .050) and absolutely love the combo. That said, I don't know whether a less expensive head would have suited me just as well. Honestly my thought on heads is to go ahead and spend the money if possible for a head that will not only work now, but one that you can either use on the next build or sell for a good price to upgrade. The other post was right, in aluminum heads you are going to spend 1000-1200 no matter what, so you are really only saving 2-300 off the price of AFR, etc.

Not sure what they run at the moment, but I have heard you can't go wrong with an Edelbrock Performer RPM head too. I seem to remember them being a little less expensive than some others.

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 14, 09:32 PM
Banned
Chet

A 170 cc head on a 383 is ludicrously small. At minimum you would want a 180 cc head. At minimum. OP, look up the articles I told you about. Its your engine, educate yourself based on the flow numbers of all the heads.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Al

The Summit house brand heads are rebadged Trick Flows and the Jegs house brand are rebadged Pro-Filers - both good bang for the buck and available in a few different sizes/configurations. Hard to argue against the AFR heads. When all is done the few hundred extra won't seem like much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

MCSA is based on CID and rpm. A 383 that will see 5000 rpm max, a 170 ccc head will work just fine. A 383 that want to go to 7000 rpm then 210 cc head is what is needed.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 08:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

I have the Dart Iron eagles (64cc chamber, 200cc runner) on my 406...they came off my 383 previously--great performing head, and reasonably priced...

it's an iron head, but I never understood the "gotta have" aluminum head on a street motor...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 08:59 PM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl1967 View Post
I have the Dart Iron eagles (64cc chamber, 200cc runner) on my 406...they came off my 383 previously--great performing head, and reasonably priced...

it's an iron head, but I never understood the "gotta have" aluminum head on a street motor...
Neither have I. Actually cast iron is better for power. Granted we aren't talking very much but, hey, when you need to win a bench racing session every little bit helps.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 09:45 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post
A 170 cc head on a 383 is ludicrously small. At minimum you would want a 180 cc head. At minimum. OP, look up the articles I told you about. Its your engine, educate yourself based on the flow numbers of all the heads.
It's a street engine and he's hoping for 430 hp. E-tec 170's have no problem reaching that level, and they will out-torque the bigger heads and get you down the track faster.

And better gas mileage to boot.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...hevy-440.shtml

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 14, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

A properly sized good cylinder head doesn't leave power on the table, it just gives you more headroom for later on. Using the best set of heads you can afford is the easiest way to get the most out of the rest of your combo.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode