Replacing fuel pump and push rod - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Replacing fuel pump and push rod

My fuel pump (original?) has been making a clacking noise for a long time. It still hasn't caused problems so I've been hesitant to replace it but it's probably time. I've never done one but I've read up on it and have seen the tricks to hold up the push rod during installation (grease on the rod, hack saw blade in the gap, longer bolt through the top hole, etc). My question is, should I replace the push rod too? Could wear on the push rod over the years cause it to shorten a bit and have a gap which causes the clacking? If so, is there only a single length available or do I need to find the right length?

Also, the new fuel pump lever is MUCH harder to move than I expected since I've never had one in my hands and tried to pump it manually. Is this normal or will that tightness cause undue wear on the cam? The pump I got is the 40503 which should be correct for '67 with 327/275hp, 5/16" outlet.

Finally, should I just leave the current pump on there until it fails and then replace it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 08:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Replacing fuel pump and push rod

If the clacking is lash between rod, pump and cam it could be the pump arm, the rod or even the cam lobe. To my knowledge there is only one rod length available from like '55 to '89... For under $10 you might as well replace it along with the pump.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 08:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

For the most part, the fuel pump push rods are a 'lifetime' service part for almost any SBC or BBC.
I've never seen a pushrod "wear" so bad at the end that it was the cause of noise in the valve train, or fuel pump system, unless there were major oiling or other issues that had already destroyed or were in the process of destroying the complete cam/valve system.
So I don't think you're gonna find it damaged or in need of replacement unless there are other major signs of trouble, so my vote is just leave it in place unless you see signs of damage or scoring on it (when just looking through the galley cover hole with pump removed) I'd go with the existing rod
Under most conditions you do not need to pull the pump adapter plate from the block that retains the rod unless you notice leaking or see damage to the rod that necessitates replacement..

Almost all SBC's (and most BBC's) take the same @5.75" rod size.
There are some differences in design dependent on some other components, but they are mainly to prevent damage to the cam, not to address any noise or other issues at the pump end.
Latest designs even include a 'roller' end to follow, or ride, on the cam pump lobe - I've already seen one of those fail ...
Unless you need a light weight or other specialty rod for a performance application I would suggest sticking with the 'tried-&-true' GM designs.

As far as the fuel pump, a new pump should be very tight and hard to push the actuator arm
This is due to several things, the new tighter spring, tighter pivot fit, check valve resistance and so on - unless you have major issues getting it to contract during install I would say all is good-to-go.

While there are some good instructions on this site if searched, here is a link to some excellent install information - http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...k_Chevy_engine

Hope this helps.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 08:51 AM
Bean

Make sure you put the rod in the correct direction there is a pump side & a crank side that should come with instructions or be clearly marked on the rod. placing it backward could gouge the crank surface & cause metal shaving in your oil

1968 Coupe
350 / 400 HP
700R4
4 Wheel Power Disc
American Racing Outlaw II 15"
8.5 .373 Rear
6 Point Bars
Phantom II 6' Tach & Gauges
Bolt-on sub connectors then welded
Complete rebuild, not "restored"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Hope this helps.
Absolutely. And thanks to all 3 of you for providing info and advice. I always feel like you guys have my back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode