camaro 327 engine oil galley - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Mike

camaro 327 engine oil galley

Hello this is my first time posting. I have a 1967 RS/SS with a original 327 engine. I rebuilt the engine and when I tried to run it oil shot out a oil galley plug. under side of a head.. I missed this plug was wondering if there are others. Does anyone know where all the oil and coolant galley plugs need to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: camaro 327 engine oil galley

I would imagine you are talking about the galley machining plug at the rear of the engine.
This plug is on the top of the block right behind the drivers side head.
If missing or miss-installed it can be a mess, same goes for a leaking or missing rear cam galley plug in the bellhousing area.

There is only that one plug on top and the rear cam plugs 'outside' on a SBC, but there are numerous machining plugs inside the normally covered parts of the block.
Most common missing in there is the plug under the rear main cap. If this plug is missing your oil pressure can be low, but more important is the oil is not being routed properly to the filter!
The front of the engine also has plugs behind the cam upper gear that would drain into the cam timing chain area if missing or leaking. These are normally not an issue unless completely missing ...
There is also a large Cam plug at the rear of the engine - these can/have leaked if not properly installed also.

You will need to pull the head to properly repair/replace the upper rear oil plug.

Coolant - or 'Freeze' - plugs go in the large holes on the side (2 or 3 on each side depending on block) and at rear bellhousing area.
These should all be in place and not leak coolant if properly installed.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 11:16 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: camaro 327 engine oil galley

Mike Im moving your post to ENGINE section and just FYI a 327 engine was never an SS in any Camaro. If your car has a 350 it 'might' be an SS. If it is a true 327, its NOT an SS.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 14, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: camaro 327 engine oil galley

If it is the plug that John is talking about... that port is often used for an oil pressure gauge. They often have a plastic oil line there that can easily break or rot overtime.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 14, 12:36 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
If it is the plug that John is talking about... that port is often used for an oil pressure gauge. They often have a plastic oil line there that can easily break or rot overtime.
Nope, different port. The one he forgot has its unthreaded hole half-covered by the rear of the cylinder head; the other one, for the oil pressure sender, is only a couple of inches inboard, and is threaded 1/8" NPT. See photo below - shows both of them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeckOilPlugHole.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	75809  

JohnZ
CRG
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 14, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: camaro 327 engine oil galley

Thanks for the clarification, John !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 14, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: camaro 327 engine oil galley

Thanks for the photo John, didn't look for one to post

On purpose didn't mention the oil sender port (or a couple others depending on casting/machining plant) as OP specifically said it was "under head", and that's the only 'plug' under a head.
He also asked if there were other 'plugs' he might have missed, I think I addressed those for him.
Haven't heard back, so who knows ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Thanks for all the help. JohnZ that picture is exactly where I was missing the plug.
Started the engine and had a nice oil fountain for a second before I shut it.
I have the cam front and rear plugs/caps installed, the plug above the oil filter, and the oil pressure senser right by the distributor.
Can you guys think of any others before I start it again?

Thanks again this forum has been a big help.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Jim, The trim tag shows that the car is a RS/SS with a 327 motor. Could this be BS? I looked the numbers up and they seem to match in the Smart Book. But, I'm new and still learning as I go.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 11:29 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarenal View Post
Jim, The trim tag shows that the car is a RS/SS with a 327 motor. Could this be BS? I looked the numbers up and they seem to match in the Smart Book. But, I'm new and still learning as I go.
Use this page to help you decode your cowl tag...

http://camaros.org/numbers.shtml#67Codes

3L - denotes Rally Sport
4P - denotes SS350 or L30/M20 (327/275hp that could easily be rebadged with SS emblems...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Vintage 68
I didn't put that plug in the rear main cap. But, my pressure at he oil filter seems good. Do you think I'm in danger of damagingthe motor?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Thanks for the link.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

It would most likely contain a '4P' designation if it were a true SS350. The lack of the 4P code indicates that it originally had a 327 and is not an SS. There are some caveats to this, but if you have a 327, you don't have a true RS/SS, unless the 350 was pulled at some point and replaced with the 327, which I'd say is doubtful. You might want to also check to see if you have a 3L designation on the tag to identify it as a true RS as well.

Post a pic of the trim tag. You can have it deciphered and many can spot fake tags as well.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Here is the trim tag for my 1967 Camaro. It shows a 4P and 3L code for the RS/SS model. I think I may have the wrong engine block, but I'm hoping someone can tell me for sure. The block number is 3903352. I found this block number in the CRG research report web site for the '67 model. But, not sure if it goes with the RS/SS model.

Last edited by mjarenal; Jul 3rd, 14 at 11:07 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 10:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If the car originally had a Saginaw (cast iron body) 4-speed then you might have an L30/M20. Check the piercing in the firewall for the speedometer cable.

3903352 is a 327 block.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode