Ramjet 350: how to tell 5 or 6 quart oil pan? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 14, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
Ramjet 350: how to tell 5 or 6 quart oil pan?

This is an offshoot of a previous question: I am wondering if there is any physical way to tell if my Ramjet 350 has a 5 or 6 quart oil pan.

Can it be recognized by simply looking at it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 14, 11:56 AM
Banned
Chet

Re: Ramjet 350: how to tell 5 or 6 quart oil pan?

I really don't understand why people don't ask the people that built the engine. They will know beyond a shadow of a doubt. Why make it so hard on yourself?

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...e-12499120.pdf

Installation instructions for a Ramjet 350. Happens to have specs. 5 quart without oil filter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 14, 12:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi ttwo

Not to be cynical, I had the same question for the Hamburger “Kicked Out” Pan I got with my used 427 Engine I bought like 12 years ago.

Put 6 Quarts of oil in it on the Dyno, Cranked it over to verify Oil Pressure.
Nothing on the Dip Stick, added 1 Quart, Pulled the Dipstick out “Add 1 QT”

I guess I would say I have an 8 Quart Pan.
Timmy

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 14, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

70 LT1 pan - 5 qts which includes a long PF35 oil filter.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 14, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

thanks for the replies! I don't know the builder and the guy who I bought it from doesn't know as he sold it before ever changing the oil. I understand that it can come with 5 or 6 quart oil pan as an option. So the spec sheet that I looked up wasn't helpful. But thanks for keeping me in check!

The picture that you have is different from my oil pan shown above so I may assume that I have the 6 quart version since you have the 5 quart version?!
I just assumed that there would be some telltail sign that it was a 6 vs 5 quart pan...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 14, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Yeah, I put it up there just for comparison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 14, 03:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
Hi ttwo

Not to be cynical, I had the same question for the Hamburger “Kicked Out” Pan I got with my used 427 Engine I bought like 12 years ago.

Put 6 Quarts of oil in it on the Dyno, Cranked it over to verify Oil Pressure.
Nothing on the Dip Stick, added 1 Quart, Pulled the Dipstick out “Add 1 QT”

I guess I would say I have an 8 Quart Pan.
Timmy
Hi ttwo

Do you have oil in it now ?
What does the Dipstick read ?

If there is no oil in your Engine, add 5 quarts, Start and read your oil pressure.
Shut the Engine off and Check your Oil Level.
If it's down 1 Quart, add that and you have a 6 Quart Pan - Do Not Overfill your Engine with oil.

Also, is that one of Lokar style Dip Sticks ? I have never seen those Dipsticks other than in the Magazines, I do not know if they need to be Calibrated to your Oil Pan/ Proper Level.

Maybe someone with a Lokar Dipstick can Chime in and give you advise.
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	427 Right Side.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	76057   Click image for larger version

Name:	427 Left Side w intake.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	76065  

Last edited by french69ssrs; Jun 13th, 14 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Forgot Pictures
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I do have a Lokar dipstick. It measures 16.5 inches. I have now put just over 6 quarts of oil in it and did change the oil filter prior to all of this. I now read JUST on the lower part of the dipstick. It's hard to tell if this would be a 5 or a 6 quart setup. If I put another .7 quarts in I think that would be too much. So I may leave it where it is at at the low end of the dipstick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
Hi ttwo
Do you have oil in it now ?
What does the Dipstick read ?

If there is no oil in your Engine, add 5 quarts, Start and read your oil pressure.
Shut the Engine off and Check your Oil Level.
If it's down 1 Quart, add that and you have a 6 Quart Pan - Do Not Overfill your Engine with oil.

Also, is that one of Lokar style Dip Sticks ? I have never seen those Dipsticks other than in the Magazines, I do not know if they need to be Calibrated to your Oil Pan/ Proper Level.

Maybe someone with a Lokar Dipstick can Chime in and give you advise.
Timmy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I would get on the GM Tech Forum and post your pan pic
and ask what size it is and how long the dip stick should be
and ask what GM stick part number will work.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 09:10 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

The RAMJET 350 engine includes an oil pan, GM Part Number 10242245 (5 quart excluding oil fillter) Page 5---> http://static.summitracing.com/globa...on%20guide.pdf

This pan was originally design for marine and truck usage and may cause interference problems when installed in certain applications. Check for clearance before installation.

The oil pan used on the ZZ4 engine, GM Part Number 12528916 (new PN 12557558 ), is recommended as a replacement. This is a four-quart, right-hand dipstick oil pan and gasket

The oil dipstick for the RAMJET 350 engine is on the right-hand (passenger) side of the block. Check for clearance when replacing an early-model block with a left-hand dipstick configuration. The RAMJET 350 engine does not come with an oil dipstick. When using the oil pan supplied with the engine, the recommended oil dipstick and oil dipstick tube part numbers are 10190942 and 12552920 respectively.

If the ZZ4 oil pan is installed on this engine, the recommended oil dipstick and tube part numbers are 12551144 and 12551154 respectively. This oil dipstick tube bolts to the engine block below the deck surface, and can be used with header-type exhaust systems.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 11:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi ttwo
Like Mark has shown, get the right info for your pan - First.

You also need to make sure not only the Dip Stick is the Proper length to reflect your Oil Level but the Sleeve/ Tube you stick the Dipstick down into.
If that is too long, just adding oil so it will show Full on the Dipstick is Wrong.

Was that Lokar Dipstick from another Engine/ Used, it will only work if the oil level to be maintained in Ramjet engine is the Same distance from the Top of the Tube/ Sleeve and the Length of the Dipstick.

Like I said for my Engine, I installed the Tube and put 6 Quarts into it, Stuck the Dipstick into it and No Oil was on the stick, Added 1 more Quart and it read to Add 1 Quart. I was 99% sure I have an 8 Quart Pan anyway.

From Marks info, looks like you have a 5 Quart pan Unless someone from GM or your Engine Supplier can provide you that you have a 6 Quart pan.

I added 2 Pictures, one is a Pan with a Dipstick sticking into it. Where the tube comes into the pan does not change. And 3 different Dipsticks, All 3 are Even to the Left of the Picture, To the Right – Al Different lengths.

The Variables are the Length of the Tube, Length of the Stick and Depth or Shape of the Pan (Oil Pump & Pick Up) that gives you How Much Oil and When it’s Full – Allot going on here, more than just Sticking a Dipstick from one engine into another.
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Pan Dip Stick.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	76129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Dip Sticks.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	76137  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode