Milling the heads on SBC 30k - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ty

Milling the heads on SBC 30k

I am just curious, but I have heard from a motor builder that by milling heads on a SBC by 30k, does that increase the compression? If so, by how much on a stock motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: Milling the heads on SBC 30k

Don't know how much but if you take off too much then your intake will not line up and then it'll need to be milled. You need to cc the chamber and calculate what head gasket is needed to arrive at the compression you want. Then mill the amount of head surface. But as I said you could run into an intake matching problem.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 10:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Yes it will raise compression but:

In addition to mucking up how the intake mounts, milling the heads that much may put the valves too close to the piston and might require changes to the valve train, i.e., you might need a shorter push rod...

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

It's easier to buy new pistons than milling and screwing up the alignment with the intake, that's what I did.
Or you can use the thinest head gasket if your not already there.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Well Ty here's the deal.030 is the absolute max that you can remove without having a bolt up problem per say because sometimes you do at .030. I believe the formula is every.00 6 thousands you remove 1 cc of combustion chamber . You can angle mill and do more but there is also a lot more to it and is more expensive. the thing is what are you trying to achieve? Sometimes your better off buying a new set of heads . The Summit heads #152123 are in reality Dart s/s heads with their name on them . They are a real nice well made H/D fuely replacement head . They flow better than any G/M factory head except for the vortecs and are a great head for a street motor up to 406 cubes and work well clear to 55/5800 rpm. they make good torque and give excellent throttle response with the right cam for the engine being built. Alex
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Like the guys above... once u get over around 20 thou u start running into trouble aligning heads / valley covers, stress and oil seepage leaks.
Generally one skims heads (and decks) a couple thou, just enough to get matched surfaces.

So best to get the chamber sized head that will give u the compression , dynamic compression ration for the rpm range u are looking at to work in and the octane of the fuel u intend to use.

And keep in mind, when u bore that also increases the compression ratio....

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 14, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

if it was back in the day, I would say go for it as I did, but not today with all the parts that are available
in the early 70s I took a 327 and added 12:5:1 pistons cut the heads .040 AND HAD THE INTAKE CUT TO MATCH.
started that rascal up and it ran great for about 5 minutes. it developed a mis. pulled the wires found the mis. the plug was not gapped. started it again, another 5 minutes or so the same thing.
we finally used a .010 index washer to solve the problem
there was no problem with the push rods, rockers or any valve geometry
we ran that engine on the dirt track for 2 years with out a problem
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 12:05 PM
Team Member
John

If you're going to mill the heads a bunch, you also need to mill the sides and front and rear of the intake manifold in order to maintain bolt and hole alignment; see chart below.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IntakeMachining.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	76370  

JohnZ
CRG
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 14, 01:08 PM
Tech Team
Joe

I milled my heads .010 on my 350. And i ran a.thin head gasket just to.raise the cr a bit more. From what I remember a .010 cut will raise your cr about a 1/4 point. No manifold.alignment issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode