1968 Z28 header plug fouling issue - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
GTS

1968 Z28 header plug fouling issue

Hi guys would appreciate some thoughts from people who may have suffered a similar issue.

My 68 Z28 302 currently runs Accel 437S shorty plugs which in themselves are okay as plug, I realise others have other preferences for plugs. Main trouble is that the passenger rear plug fouls so quickly that it's becoming annoying and this is I would imagine due in part to the oversized carb these little 302's run along with the inlet manifold and the high flow of fuel to this rear plug that doesn't get burnt effectively. The other plugs do become a little oiled up but nothing as a major or as concerning as the passenger rear.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to another standard plug I could run on this rear one as it doesn't need to be a shorty. I'm not sure on whether it needs to be hotter/colder etc. always gets confusing when I look at that aspect, any help would be great.

68 Z/28, Teal Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 09:16 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: 1968 Z28 header plug fouling issue

That plug cross references to an AC Delco R44 and I think the 302 came with a colder R43 from the factory... Someone else chime in if I got that wrong...

If it's only the one cylinder thought I'd be looking for something else that just effects the one hole. Plug wire? Valve adjustment? Rings?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

My suggestion is run a hotter heat range.
R43's are nice and a cold plug, but, only if the engine is around 5K and above all the time.
At lower RPM's, the plugs don't get hot enough to burn off the electrodes.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
GTS

So other plugs do/can foul badly after time but not to this extent. It seems to be related directly to the distance the plug is from the channels on the inlet. The middle cylinder plugs burn fine as they seem to run hottest but front driver also suffers but not as badly as the rear. I believe this to be a carb/inlet issue due to the massive flow of fuel which may not be getting burn off correctly. At the end of the day if you were building a 302 you would never carb it to this extent, 650 max.

68 Z/28, Teal Blue
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
GTS

Any suggestion on a hotter plug would be appreciated as yes I agree over 5k they would be great..

68 Z/28, Teal Blue
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon G View Post
So other plugs do/can foul badly after time but not to this extent. It seems to be related directly to the distance the plug is from the channels on the inlet. The middle cylinder plugs burn fine as they seem to run hottest but front driver also suffers but not as badly as the rear. I believe this to be a carb/inlet issue due to the massive flow of fuel which may not be getting burn off correctly. At the end of the day if you were building a 302 you would never carb it to this extent, 650 max.
Remember that with carburetor sizing, the CFM rating is how much volume of air, and fuel, mixed together by the carburetor can flow. You can and perhaps may need to go to smaller jets if the plugs are fouling from a rich mixture. If however you have worn valve guides, bad valve seals, rings letting oil by, that will cause oil fouling so carburetor size and fuel mixture/jetting leaner wouldn't help. Running a hotter plug as has been recommended will help either situation (rich jetting and/or more oil in the combustion chamber) to some extent but there is a limit to how much good a hotter plug will do. There are charts online for at least some manufacturers spark plugs that show the heat ranges, a good parts store counter person should be able to recommend the next hotter plug above what you have if there are hotter plugs by that manufacturer available.

A picture or two of your fouled plugs would make it easier for us to perhaps tell you what it looks like is the cause, rich fuel mixture or oil that is fouling your plug(s).

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Go to NAPA and buy 1 R45 and try it.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 11:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon G View Post
You might want to rephrase that -If you were building a 302 to only rev to 5000rpm before it poops out you would never carb it with more than 650cfm. Reality a 302 is just waking up at 4000rpm and capable of running at 7000 + rpm! Chevy chose a Holley vacuum secondary carb because they understood Holley vacuum secondary carbs are what is referred to as "on demand" meaning the secondary's only open enough to meet the demand of the engine. The secondary is operated by vacuum created in a venturi (small hole/path) as air/fuel is sucked through the primary throttle bores.

Your loading up is a low rpm/idle rich condition when the secondary is not open unless you are running a mechanical secondary carb for some reason. That should be effecting all 8 cyls to some degree. A hotter heat range may help but if you're running rich that's a tuning issue. This can be made worse by periods of long idling and slow speed driving...

From there you need to be looking into the one cyl that is effected the most. Worn piston rings or valve seals may allow too much oil to leak into the combustion chamber. And valves not adjusted properly can change the dynamics in a cyl too. And yah runner length may be making it easier to see the symptoms on some cyls but keep in mind there are millions of SBC's out there running just fine!

...Dennis

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
GTS

Attachment 76746

Sure an engine built to thrive on revs for circuit racing which the Z28's were designed for can get away with such a big carb to ensure fuel is always available on demand. These cars had a habit of fouling plugs back in the day probably because of a mix of large carb and long runners. The race cars would have just ditched the plugs after each race so wasn't a concern. The trouble is this car is used for pleasure and although driven hard occasionally it has to cope with traffic and idling at low revs which it doesn't like hence the issue. Most big blocks won't run a carb much larger than this so for everyday driving the plugs suffer.

The engine only has maybe 4'500/5,000 miles and has only been rebuilt once by a tenured engine guy who builds lots of top end motors far out of my league so I'm fairly confident unless something's failed it's the carb size, plug heat range and driving conditions doing the damage here.

The picture attached was taken after a period of off and on driving and I only checked the plugs because of a slight mis fire. To be fair I hadn't checked them for a while but since replacing this plug it has almost formed a black glaze over the end of the plug like an enamel so swapped it out again.

68 Z/28, Teal Blue

Last edited by Demon G; Jun 27th, 14 at 12:40 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 02:54 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Guys drive their 302 Z/28's all the time with the factory 780 carbs and don't have the fouling problems you are blaming on the big carb...

...Dennis

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
GTS

We'll I'm open to suggestions and will try a different heat range on the back plug so thanks for suggestion. I'm not entirely convinced re- jetting will help all that much but I will get it checked out as I'm willing to explore all avenues with this.

As I said historically it's well known that these cars had a habit of fouling plugs because of the carb size on a small block car so was my first thought when I encountered the issue.

The carb was re-built by Bob Kunz when the car was totally restored so hopefully all is okay that end but I will check.

68 Z/28, Teal Blue
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

A closer up photo would help but from what I can see of that plug it looks oil fouled to me.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
GTS

Attachment 76754

This may be a bit better to see the plug a little closer.

68 Z/28, Teal Blue

Last edited by Demon G; Jun 27th, 14 at 12:41 PM.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

That gap looks larger than .035. Make sure your PCV valve is clean and has suction.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 14, 03:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Are you using an octane booster?
If not, what oil are you running. Looks like either an octane booster deposit or ash mixed with oil.
Guessing just from that pic (and on line pics can be deceiving) I would say you have oil either getting by the rings or the valve seals.

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode