69 Aluminum radiator swap out possible ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
69 Aluminum radiator swap out possible ??

I currently have a steel radiator. It's leaking and so I figured on replacing it with and aluminum one. I'm not going to race my car I don't live in the desert but don't want to have to worry about cooling either. I've read there's several brands that are good where as Champion brand radiator is from China and has smaller tubing and may not be as good, but a lot of people still use it and it's fine.

I figure I'll get a two core aluminum radiator with 1 inch or more tubing and use the stock shroud and fan. Is there any brand that simply replaces exactly the current stock 69 radiator? Take the old one out with the new one in it has all that mounts, shroud mounts and whatever else already on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 09:43 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 69 Aluminum radiator swap out possible ??

Steel? Didn't know anyone made steel replacement radiators. The current Harrison's are the only true exact match for style and looks as they are still made using the GM original molds. These are Brass mostly. I went this route last year and couldn't be happier. I went up one core to three for my 350 non a/c standard.

I had looked at all the aluminum replacements out there and all signs pointed to Alumitech Radiators. I looked at them in early December a couple years back and when I had holiday cash the end of the month, they had shuttered the business and dumped their remaining inventory on eBay. Noting suitable for my ride left. When they were available they were truly an aluminum copy of the original Harrison's for fit and look.

Most of the aluminum replacements out there today require some fussing with the shroud mounting but nothing too bad. A few kind of look like originals but not really. SO if that isn't a problem for you there are plenty out there. But is it has to look original you are limited in your options. If your current brass tanks are not bad any decent radiator shop and re-core it for you at a fraction of the cost of a new radiator - aluminum or brass.

Search the threads here for some more recent reviews as this is a common question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech
George

Griffin make a direct fit just need to add tabs for the bottom where the fan shroud hooks up to it , has been in my car for years its got two rows of 1.25 in tubes Awsome

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 Lobe SEP
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163 Manifold
Auto gear M22W 410 12 Bolt

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 482 ZL1 View Post
Griffin make a direct fit just need to add tabs for the bottom where the fan shroud hooks up to it , has been in my car for years its got two rows of 1.25 in tubes Awsome
X2 on the Griffin. I have been running one for years.Awsome fit and quality. I painted mine with the correct gloss black radiator paint, and it looks factory. They come with the two tabs on the sides of the tanks that the shroud slides into.The shroud fits perfectly over the radiator with zero modifications. AND, it's MADE IN THE USA.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 69 View Post
X2 on the Griffin. I have been running one for years.Awsome fit and quality. I painted mine with the correct gloss black radiator paint, and it looks factory. They come with the two tabs on the sides of the tanks that the shroud slides into.The shroud fits perfectly over the radiator with zero modifications. AND, it's MADE IN THE USA.
So griffin will not require adding shroud tabs now? Basically just take the old out and put the new in?!!
Entropy is a brand I read here. Anyone know if it fits directly?

Also I do have A/C. They are no way connected to each other and shouldn't matter is that correct?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I use a Dewitt. It came with factory shroud mounts, the radiator mounts in the stock location and closely resembles the factory radiator. I have a pretty healthy 406 and it has zero issues keeping it cool.

In traffic this weekend with low to mid 90* temps and it never got over 180. I use a factory7 blade clutch fan, factory shroud, factory pulley's etc...

GM did a very good job designing their cooling systems. I went aluminum because the Harrison replacement copper/brass are pricey and for the money I would have had in re-coring my original, I could buy a new Dewitt.

just my .02

Mike

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 07:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

I got mine from a guy in Michigan that makes them. It's beautiful and the car hasn't run cooler/better. Can't beat it for $400.

[IMG]https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-
9/10259987_10203843931359034_4952113198527631712_n.j pg[/IMG]

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I use the Summit brand with their shroud clip brackets. With a stock type clutch, 7 blade fan and shroud it cools my 383 perfectly, bolts in. $325 to the door.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...engine-type/v8

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380660

PS The radiators for these cars all have just one core. This particular radiator has a 2 row core with one inch tubes.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Ty

I have the Champion on my 69 with electric fan. My car stays at 160-180 and does not ever overheat.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I'm narrowing down and seems that DeWitt or Griffin or Entropy see to be direct fit with no modification with at least 1 inch aluminum tubing and should have fan shroud tabs already in place.

Entropy seems more Ebay based...yikes on longevity of company

Why do people put the electric fans on if they have a shroud with clutch fan?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 11:51 AM
Banned
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
I'm narrowing down and seems that DeWitt or Griffin or Entropy see to be direct fit with no modification with at least 1 inch aluminum tubing and should have fan shroud tabs already in place.

Entropy seems more Ebay based...yikes on longevity of company

Why do people put the electric fans on if they have a shroud with clutch fan?
You can buy direct from Entropy, as I did a couple of years ago.

http://www.entropyrad.com/about/info_1.html
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Entropy 8370 $399 1 inch tubing and not sure on waranty
Griffin 8-00009 <$300 1.25 inch tubing and 2 year waranty
DeWitt 1139004M $500 1 inch tubing lifetime waranty

Why dewitt so much ? hmmm

again why do people put in electric fans?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I just got off the phone with Entropy, lifetime waranty, talked directly to the guy and said he could have one out in a couple days. Nice to see not back ordered.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 12:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Myself as well as quite a few folks use these.

http://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/

Never heard a bad thing about them. I think it was $400 including shipping, with 2 electric fans, the flaps that are needed to properly cool using electric fans, shroud, etc.

I picked up an electric fan controller for I want to say $125 or so, and it's never run cooler.

As for why people put in electric fans...there's a few reasons.

1. It looks better.
2. When properly configured, they work better than a belt driven fan.
3. They don't use any horsepower to run.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 01:05 PM
Banned
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue89bird View Post
3. They don't use any horsepower to run.
Don't you usually need to run a bigger than stock alternator, which in turn uses more HP to turn? Or am I off base?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode