Need help diagnosing smoke - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Need help diagnosing smoke

Installed a Holley Street Avenger 670 a few months ago, and with the help of the forum, got it setup and working pretty well. Thanks for that.

I'm back to ask for some help diagnosing some smoke I'm seeing out the exhaust. At idle I don't see anything, but when the engine is warmed up and I'm accelerating, I get some healthy smoke out the back. When I'm cruising on the highway it's a fairly constant sight as well. It can't be classified as black or white; it's gray. Engine runs great; good power. But the smoke trail is getting old and I'm not sure where to start.

I've got an Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump that isn't supposed to require a regulator, but it's really the only thing I've installed other than the carb since reinstalling the engine a few months ago. I've checked the floats on the carb and those are perfect.

Any help or tips on what to look for are much appreciated.

--
James
1967 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 05:18 PM
Brent

Re: Need help diagnosing smoke

Generally smoke under load indicates ring wear but possibly could be small amount of coolant getting into cyl. Either way, a compression test will tell you more. Good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 06:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yep, and when you're pulling the plugs, be prepared for a big AH HA.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Black smoke is oil, and white smoke is water. Is your car getting hot?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Yep, and when you're pulling the plugs, be prepared for a big AH HA.
Nothing like making a guy feel like sh!t.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Plugs look good and have less than 200 miles on them. In fact, everything was great until I pulled the motor out to replace the oil pan gasket and throwout bearing. When I reinstalled, I had a new carb and new fuel pump. Since then, I can't seem to figure out what's causing the smoke. Coolant is good, oil smells and looks right.

--
James
1967 Camaro
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 06:48 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Black smoke is rich (fuel) - Blue smoke is oil - white smoke is water (condensation)

My guess is; grey as described is closest to blue and is oil...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

If it was oil then the plugs would look like this. Why did you replace the carb and pump?

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

I was gifted the Holley and had the pump, new in box, from a prior project. Since I had the engine out I figured it was time to finally put it on.

Twist to the story... Took the car out tonight and noticed that when I came to a stop, the smoke appeared to be emanating from under the car and not really the exhaust. Took a look in the bay and noticed a glistening on the power steering pump. Checked the level and it wasn't on the stick. Now I know I filled that up and it hasn't been cranky (yet), but I'm wondering if I'm not leaking power steering fluid on the headers and it's burning off? Thoughts?

--
James
1967 Camaro
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 09:22 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterswt View Post
I was gifted the Holley and had the pump, new in box, from a prior project. Since I had the engine out I figured it was time to finally put it on.

Twist to the story... Took the car out tonight and noticed that when I came to a stop, the smoke appeared to be emanating from under the car and not really the exhaust. Took a look in the bay and noticed a glistening on the power steering pump. Checked the level and it wasn't on the stick. Now I know I filled that up and it hasn't been cranky (yet), but I'm wondering if I'm not leaking power steering fluid on the headers and it's burning off? Thoughts?
Fix the ps leak. Clean off all residual and reevaluate the situation.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode