Holly carb issue - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 14, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Holly carb issue

I have a holly street avenger 670 on a 327 (68 camaro). it continues to run rich. I do not know much about cars in general. I have reset the idle screws, did nothing. What else can I do to control the smell of straight gas and exhaust smell in my car? I have headers with a mix of piping of various sizes heading back to the two mufflers.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 14, 06:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: Holly carb issue

I have the same carb on my 350. When I put headers and new exhaust it stumbled when hitting the peddle and sometimes would die. I bought a vacuum gauge kit off of ebay and followed instructions found on the manual here > http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...0219-3rev4.pdf

After I adjusted the idle mixture screws with the gauge it now runs very well.

1967 Camaro RS (SS 350 Clone) Convertible
Monster Transmission Stage 2 700r4 (had it rebuilt by local transmission shop)
Dynatech Headers
Flowmaster Exhaust
3.42 Posi.
Hotchkis subframe connectors and x-brace
Foose 18" Legend wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 14, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpap View Post
I have a holly street avenger 670 on a 327 (68 camaro). it continues to run rich. I do not know much about cars in general. I have reset the idle screws, did nothing. What else can I do to control the smell of straight gas and exhaust smell in my car? I have headers with a mix of piping of various sizes heading back to the two mufflers.
Thanks.
I assume your 670 Holley is a vacuum secondary carburetor?

Does it have four corner idle or just two (how many mixture screws does it have)?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 14, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

If the car won't stall when you turn in the mixture screws then the power valves are shot and need to be replaced. You need to connect a vacuum gauge to the full manifold connection on the carb and take a reading and take 1/2 of that reading and that's the power valve size you need in the front and rear. Once that's fixed you need to get the car to operating temp and adjust the idle mixture screws.

Turn in until the rpm drops or your vacuum reading drops then turn out 1/4 turn. That's be the leanest idle.

Then go for a drive on the highway for about 30 min and take a spark plug reading. You may need to re-jet the front jets to a lower number if it's running rich.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 14, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

check the level of the floats

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 14, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpap View Post
I have a holly street avenger 670 on a 327 (68 camaro). It continues to run rich. I do not know much about cars in general. What else can I do to control the smell of straight gas and exhaust smell in my car?
How does she run? You say "you don't know much about cars" but exhaust from carburetor cars will put out fumes that smell VERY different from your newer Ford or Chevy or whatever.

If you're smelling raw fuel, you have a leak somewhere. Start looking for wetness at the fuel tank then follow the fuel line to the pump then carb, then check the carb itself for leakage.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 14, 03:13 PM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight-line-69 View Post
How does she run? You say "you don't know much about cars" but exhaust from carburetor cars will put out fumes that smell VERY different from your newer Ford or Chevy or whatever.

If you're smelling raw fuel, you have a leak somewhere. Start looking for wetness at the fuel tank then follow the fuel line to the pump then carb, then check the carb itself for leakage.
Not enough intial timing, too much thinking an out of the box carb can be bolted on and off you go. Read Timing 101 sticky on this site and the instructions that came with your Holley carb on how to dial it in. These cars of ours our not turn the key and forget it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode