"cylinder shut down" into '71 ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 14, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
No

"cylinder shut down" into '71 ?

Has anyone tried putting the new "cylinder shut down" technology into and older Camaro to save gas? What is required? thinking about replacing the motor in a '71 .... I've done crate motors before, but how about the newer technology? I assume it would require wiring harness, CPU, injectors, sensors etc.... Are there any kits out there that make it easy? I need no smog for this car in California. Would like to save some gas but still get lotsa power. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 14, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Erik

Re: "cylinder shut down" into '71 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic68 View Post
Has anyone tried putting the new "cylinder shut down" technology into and older Camaro to save gas? What is required? thinking about replacing the motor in a '71 .... I've done crate motors before, but how about the newer technology? I assume it would require wiring harness, CPU, injectors, sensors etc.... Are there any kits out there that make it easy? I need no smog for this car in California. Would like to save some gas but still get lotsa power. Ideas?
Sub. Interesting idea to use the fuel management system, don't think I've seen anyone go that route on a swap. I'm just guessing, but id assume you would need ECM, engine, trans and harness from a car the system in place. Might even have extra sensors in the exhaust, fuel system and how knows where else that it needs to read.

Like to see if we have any experts on this, and what they say.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 14, 05:12 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Maximum efficiency achieved by GM cylinder deactivation is 12%. This was in the 2011 media release. In 2014, GM said it is 7.5%.
Say gas is $4 a gallon.
You're running an LS in a 71 and get 25mpg overall (being very generous).
Add cylinder deactivation and get 12% increase to 28mpg overall (this will not happen, the 12% is maximum achievement and will not happen all the time).

Drive 10,000 miles a year.
Cost to drive as is: $1600
Cost with deactivation: $1428

Cost to convert just say $1000 (also highly unlikely because it basically takes a whole new valvetrain plus the controls etc etc)

At an overly inflated started mpg starting point of 25mpg and extremely lowball price of $1000 it would take you 5.8 years to pay off the project IF you drove it 10,000 miles a year.
At 5000 miles a year it would take over 11 years to pay off.

Now, if your starting cost is greater than $1000 then the hole gets even deeper. I'd be willing to bet it might cost you $1000 just to get it tuned if you managed to get all the parts together.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 14, 07:06 AM
John

Garage

You could probably buy a motor from a vehicle with displacement on demand and put it in your 71.

However as stated above if you drive 5000 per year you'll save at most about a $100.

The best way to get dramatic increase in mileage is to go with a OD tranny if you don't have one already

Btw my Silverado with DOD gets 16-20 mpg. A similar truck without gets 12-16

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 14, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

There's another problem with DOD. It's damn annoying. At least in our 13 Camaro SS with aftermarket exhaust.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 14, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I agree with the above. I have it in my 07 VMAX silverado. It sucks and will get tuned out soon.

The other thing is that it only works in light throttle cruise- who the heck stays off the loud pedal long enough in their muscle car on average to see that?

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 14, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
No

I'm back, here, and you guys are crackin' me up! Back to the original question.... HAS anyone done it??

...or, if not, what's the best gas mileage I'm lookin at for a ~450+ horse motor, naturally aspirated, fI, or otherwise?? Turbo? SC? I'm looking for project ideas, here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode