Antifreeze under valve covers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Unhappy Antifreeze under valve covers

Hello Everyone,
I installed some 186 heads on my 327 engine for a minor upgrade and put a Z28 intake on as well. I did start the engine but I prime the oil pump to make sure oil was reaching the rockers. Thatís was fine. Then next day I had antifreeze leaking from the heads. (See pictures) I pulled the valve covers and antifreeze was under both valve covers all over the heads and rocker arms. My question is do you think the heads are crack or the head gasket and intake gasket didnít seal properly. I used Permatex Aviation sealer on the head and intake bolts with Victor Reinz gaskets. Bought the heads of eBay a while ago, so canít return. Any suggestions, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6758.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	80097   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6759.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	80105   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6760.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	80113  

1969 Camaro RS Hugger Orange - Work in Progress - You see rust, I see restoration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Antifreeze under valve covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsb0719 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I installed some 186 heads on my 327 engine for a minor upgrade and put a Z28 intake on as well. I did start the engine but I prime the oil pump to make sure oil was reaching the rockers. Thatís was fine. Then next day I had antifreeze leaking from the heads. (See pictures) I pulled the valve covers and antifreeze was under both valve covers all over the heads and rocker arms. My question is do you think the heads are crack or the head gasket and intake gasket didnít seal properly. I used Permatex Aviation sealer on the head and intake bolts with Victor Reinz gaskets. Bought the heads of eBay a while ago, so canít return. Any suggestions, thanks.
I don't see any picture(s) to look at?

If anti-freeze was/is under the valve covers it could be coming from the head bolts, did you use thread sealer on the head bolt threads and were head bolt threads in the block cleaned properly before you assembled and torqued the head bolts?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 04:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

That sealer should have worked fine for you, but it still may be just leaks at the threads.

Only way is to pull the heads and have them checked.
I don't believe a poor seal at the intake would result in coolant under the valve covers.

Lynn

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
I don't see any picture(s) to look at?

If anti-freeze was/is under the valve covers it could be coming from the head bolts, did you use thread sealer on the head bolt threads and were head bolt threads in the block cleaned properly before you assembled and torqued the head bolts?
Yes, I used thread sealer as mention above, everything was cleaned and torque to manufacture spec. Thanks.

1969 Camaro RS Hugger Orange - Work in Progress - You see rust, I see restoration!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
That sealer should have worked fine for you, but it still may be just leaks at the threads.

Only way is to pull the heads and have them checked.
I don't believe a poor seal at the intake would result in coolant under the valve covers.
Thanks, I guess I will have take them to a machine shop.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The rocker studs go into water also. Are the pressed? If so, pinned? Screw in? Were the spring seats cut down for more lift?
Should be able pressurize the cooling system with the covers off and see where it's coming from if it's on the top end.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I can't think of any way a leaking intake gasket could allow anti-freeze to get under the valve covers.

I also can't think of any way a leaking head gasket could allow anti-freeze to get under the valve covers.

If it's not the head bolts leaking, the only other thing I can think of is a crack in the head so having them checked is probably the best way to proceed, or you could first try removing each head bolt, cleaning and then resealing and see that brings a different result.

How long did it run and did the cooling system get up to pressure when you later found anti-freeze under the valve covers?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
The rocker studs go into water also. Are the pressed? If so, pinned? Screw in? Were the spring seats cut down for more lift?
Should be able pressurize the cooling system with the covers off and see where it's coming from if it's on the top end.
X1 Great post ^^

The pressure test should be the next thing to do for sure.

Hopefully, it wasn't run long enough to do any damage.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 06:46 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ430DropTop67RS View Post
X1 Great post ^^

The pressure test should be the next thing to do for sure.

Hopefully, it wasn't run long enough to do any damage.
That's true, the rocker studs are also a possibility, agree the cooling system pressure test is the best way to proceed.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 07:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Before you go pulling the heads - I would start with the simple things first. You mentioned the intake is new to you as well.

The pics show significant antifreeze around the rocker nuts. That could have splashed or came up through the pushrods.

You could very well have a intake coolant leak causing the antifreeze to drop into the lifter valley, pan and circulate.

Pull the intake, clean everything and put a steel straight edge on all the port surfaces of the heads and intake.

It looks like you have sealer on the intake manifold ports, with a quality intake gasket all you need is a few dabs of clear gasket cinch to hold the gasket in place - use the gasket dry.

Its entirely possible its the heads/seats/studs/ etc but I would start with verifying your intake is sealing properly

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

If the heads end up coming off then have them pressure tested at a machine shop. My one 186 head casting was so weak that it was trash. I had a pin hole in the exhaust valve area and it could not be fixed. The whole head was rotted from driving.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
I can't think of any way a leaking intake gasket could allow anti-freeze to get under the valve covers.

I also can't think of any way a leaking head gasket could allow anti-freeze to get under the valve covers.

If it's not the head bolts leaking, the only other thing I can think of is a crack in the head so having them checked is probably the best way to proceed, or you could first try removing each head bolt, cleaning and then resealing and see that brings a different result.

How long did it run and did the cooling system get up to pressure when you later found anti-freeze under the valve covers?
Car hasn't run, only prime the oil pump to verify oil was going to the rocker arms, the next day antifreeze was leaking from the valve covers.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
They are pressed in studs. I drained the antifreeze already and don't have a way to pressurize the cooling system.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 14, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
Before you go pulling the heads - I would start with the simple things first. You mentioned the intake is new to you as well.

The pics show significant antifreeze around the rocker nuts. That could have splashed or came up through the pushrods.

You could very well have a intake coolant leak causing the antifreeze to drop into the lifter valley, pan and circulate.

Pull the intake, clean everything and put a steel straight edge on all the port surfaces of the heads and intake.

It looks like you have sealer on the intake manifold ports, with a quality intake gasket all you need is a few dabs of clear gasket cinch to hold the gasket in place - use the gasket dry.

Its entirely possible its the heads/seats/studs/ etc but I would start with verifying your intake is sealing properly
I think I will start with your suggestion first before trying anything else. Thanks.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 14, 01:43 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Is it possible, that when you pulled the old intake, antifreeze flowed out and into the lifter valley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode