Crank pulley and harmonic balancer - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Crank pulley and harmonic balancer

Not sure if this as an issue or not. 1968 BB396, M20.
I changed crank pulley from single groove to double groove to add AC.
I used billet specialties billet aluminium pulley from Summit. After install looked like a pretty good wobble on crank pulley. Pulled back off, watched just balancer to see it wobbled. Appeared to move slightly back and forth but hard to tell.
Put old pulley back on and watched again could see lil wobble again but not as noticeable as with larger 2 groove pulley. How ever did notice when I reved the motor the wobble went away and it spun true.

Is this normal? Does crank pulley wobble at low RPM idle and balance out and smooth out under RPM?

Would it be ok to put new pulley back on? Or does it sound like I need a new harmonic balancer??

Not exactly sure how balancer is suppose to work to self balance, maybe wobble is normal till certain Rpm is achieved???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Crank pulley and harmonic balancer

A balancer is really a harmonic cancellation device. The outer rig is tuned to cancel the drone that the crankshaft produces in normal operation. In your minds eye visualize the operating crankshaft from the side. Erase all the needless stuff like the block, pistons and rods. Notice that the power from the forward rod journals has only one way to get to the flywheel. It's via all the other journals. That creates twist and thusly harmonics that will destroy the crank without a dampener.
So, to answer your question, the balancers job is not to balance itself. It has to be balanced already or you've got big problems. The outer ring is pressed to an inner hub and held in place via an elasticizer. It could be that the ring is no longer true to the hub. But your pulley is not mounted to the ring anyway. If the pulley is not true it'll be more noticible at low speed and appear to cancel out when the engine is rev'd.
So,,,, if it's a new pulley, I'd just run it. This is so much fun.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Ok Fred. I'm confused. So u said run it, but ya think center ring might be out of whack or the pulley is not true?
Shouldn't I send the pulley back? It's brand new and supposedly precision balanced for motors upto 1000hp.
If the damper ring is worn, shoud I not replace harmonic balancer?
My fear is wearing out crank bearings due to vibrations???

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 02:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I confused myself too.
OK, I'm feeling much better now. Yeah, get a different pulley and change the balancer. Can't hurt.
Did I ever tell you my SFI ATI balancer story? It's ugly.
When my car had to have a super dupper balancer (<11.50ets) I installed an ATI with magnets for a crank trigger. About the second weekend when pulling to the bleach box, the balancer FELL OFF! The hub mounting bolts that hold it together sheered. It dented up my original crank pulley too. I was not pleased, especially because this failed balancer was suppose to be so much better than my original, still perfect balancer . Grrrrr.
Well, the balancer got replaced and the pulley was saved. This is so much fun.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 14, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomRider View Post
I changed crank pulley from single groove to double groove to add AC.
Unless you don't have power steering, won't you need a 3 groove crankshaft pulley for an AC equipped car ?

I know I had to have a 3 groove type and it wasn't easy to find a stock one. Actually the 3 groove pulley is a 2 groove with a bolt-on extension.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks Fred, yep the so called best parts are not always the case. Spent the extra money as to not run into this issue, but Murphy's law.

Yes Anne, u are correct. My car is manual steering, so 2 groove. If it was power plus AC then I would have needed a 3 groove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode