Cowl Induction only? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Louie

Question Cowl Induction only?

Hi,

Has anyone out there used a cowl induction hood with a sealed air cleaner that DOES NOT have a snorkel? I was just about ready to pull the trigger on changing my setup to be 100% sealed to the hood (always open, no flapper valve) and was looking at aftermarket sealed a/c bases like the ones that Spectre and RamAirBox make. I was corresponding with the latter and he said that a fully sealed setup with that hood would not flow enough air and that a snorkel a/c had to be used (like the 69 OEM single carb a/c).

This struck me as odd because (I believe) that the early Camaro cowl induction setups (flat hood) did not have a snorkel. I was hoping that someone out there had some real world experience they could share.

Thanks!

-Louie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 10:42 AM
Team Member
John

Re: Cowl Induction only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by attack3 View Post
Hi,

Has anyone out there used a cowl induction hood with a sealed air cleaner that DOES NOT have a snorkel? I was just about ready to pull the trigger on changing my setup to be 100% sealed to the hood (always open, no flapper valve) and was looking at aftermarket sealed a/c bases like the ones that Spectre and RamAirBox make. I was corresponding with the latter and he said that a fully sealed setup with that hood would not flow enough air and that a snorkel a/c had to be used (like the 69 OEM single carb a/c).

This struck me as odd because (I believe) that the early Camaro cowl induction setups (flat hood) did not have a snorkel. I was hoping that someone out there had some real world experience they could share.

Thanks!

-Louie
The factory cowl induction ("special ducted") hood was designed with a single snorkel for cold weather operation, to provide warmer underhood air for improved cold driveability. The '67-'68 flat-hood cowl inlet system didn't have to deal with that - it was "race car parts" that shipped in the trunk and required metal surgery on the cowl to install it; not intended for normal all-weather street operation.

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by attack3 View Post

Rick's Camaros and Groundup restorations only show air cleaners with a snorkel.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/1969+che...l?cat=1711&p=2

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...set=0&Offset=0

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 10:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I cannot imagine that the ducted hood system won't provide ample air flow. That's nuts.

Go to the hardware store and get a black rubber bottle stopper that fits inside the snorkel tube. Then you can have constant air flow through the cowl hood and retain the stock appearance of the air filter assy.

Works for me.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hi Attack3,

I removed the snorkel from my cowl induction air cleaner and have been running the cowl only setup for 3 years. Works great. I don't know how to post a picture but I would be glad to send you one if you send me a PM.

Good Luck
Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I've been running a similar setup to what Andrew did for three years now, I created a black plug that is inserted into the snorkel so most if not all don't even see it but it only pulls air from the cowl induction side of the hood. It works just fine, like most others I don't drive the car in extremely cold weather so no cold weather drive-ability issues to worry about.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 14, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Louie

Thumbs up Re: Cowl Induction only?

Hello John, Anne, Andrew, Mike, and Scott,

Thanks for all this great information!

I didn't think that guidance sounded right, but I was prepared to be wrong! I live in Southern California, so I don't think cold weather startup will be an issue. .

Thanks again!

-Louie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 14, 10:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK-4 View Post
Hi Attack3,

I removed the snorkel from my cowl induction air cleaner and have been running the cowl only setup for 3 years. Works great. I don't know how to post a picture but I would be glad to send you one if you send me a PM.

Good Luck
Mike
Same here, I run the cowl hood AC set up with a dropped carb base. Snorkel is just hanging there , appearance item to me. Preheat tube from manifold or headers is absent.
Cowl flapper is removed but a fine screen is fitting in the flapper frame, to keep birds and such from being pulled in.
Actually , the cowl hood to w/shield is a high pressure point so you get air forced into the cowl opening, as much as you can burn .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air cleaner, cold air, cowl induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode