Long Sitting Engine test - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Long Sitting Engine test

Hi everyone, first time posting, long time reader. I've got a 69 with a SB 350 and it hasn't run for about 7 years but when it did, it ran great. So here's my scenario. I've replaced the water pump, alt, Harmonic balancer, carb, wiring harnesses in engine bay, added an MSD ignition box, Power steering pump and all hoses, wires, fluids etc. Only thing I didn't pull and replace off the engine is the distributor but did swap out all the wires , rotor and cap. I can hand crank the engine so it's not seized. I've also had Marvels mystery oil sitting in the cylinders for a week and will replace the plugs as well. All looks good for restart but the fuel lines and gas tank. What I'd like to do is try starting it by just filling the fuel bowls and not connect the fuel lines for fear of getting bad gas into the system and Carb. It's a double pumper 650 Mech choke. Does anyone think this is harmful to the engine or dangerous? Is there a safe and easy way to feed gas without the fuel pump? I'm worried using a container might be dangerous due to not being grounded. Am I wrong? Also, if it's OK to fire, approx how long will it run at idle before the bowls go dry? Please don't tell me to do it right and "just" replace the tank and fuel lines. I'm on a fixed budget, and most of all, with a family I have VERY limited time to work on the car which is how I got in this pickle to begin with! So to stay motivated, here the rumble and test the ignition system along with everything else, I'd like to fire it up even if it's for 2 minutes at a time and go forward from there. Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!

69 Camaro 350 4spd 4:11 Posi (desperately holding on to Manhood)
2005 Subaru Baja (Nice vehicle, still holding on)
2002 VW Euro Van (Skirt for driving required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
harvey

Re: Long Sitting Engine test

what I would do is get an old distbitar use the bottom of it use a drill and it will pump the oil all throu ur motor so when u start up that motor it won't be dry on start up and u will be good to go
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech
Wendell

Funny, last weekend I fired a SCB in a '64 chevy II that sat for 7 years. 7 years isn't that long. You've already wasted more time and money than needed. Top off the tank with fresh gas. Pull the coil wire. Crank it till to you see oil pressure. Put the coil wire back on. Pure some gas down the carb and run it.

1967RS

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

If ethanol was in the carb and sat, it attracts and contains water, which corrodes the carb. Shoot some B12 down the vent tubes and see if the A-pump squirters start to work after a bit. If not, rebuild the carb.
Pull the fuel line to the pump off, feed it from a plastic gas can and some brake line. The carb is primed from the B12, which also works as starting fluid shot down the carb throat.
Not sure what a ground has to do with this but I'm ignorant...
How much gas is in the tank. You can siphon some out by sticking a 6' or so hose in the tank all the way, plugging the end, and pulling it out lower. No need to suck when siphoning.
Then put some good gas in. Priming the carb and using ether or B12 will help with quicker start.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I would disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump and the sending unit, drop the tank, it only takes 2 bolts, unhook the electrical connection and set it on the floor. I have a hoist and found it easier to lay on the ground. I pulled it and put a new one in by myself, piece of cake. Remove the sending unit and check out what the sock looks like and clean it. You can now look into the tank to see what you have. If nothing else rinse it out and get the junk out. Blow out the fuel line with an air hose, see what you get, you could use carb cleaner first followed by air. Put the tank back in, fill it with 5 gallons of fuel so that you can verify the gas gauge so you know where you are at.

The last thing you want is to fill the new carb full of junk. Did you change the oil?

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech
Wendell

It's getting better. 5 more posts and you'll be honing the bores.

1967RS
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
chris

I had my car sitting in the garage since sept. of 09. just started it up this weekend. all I did was replace the gas, it cranked for a minute until the gas flowed to the carb and it started right up. The only problem I had was my Gen light stayed on until I taped on the voltage regulator, all good now

chris
67 rs/ss
350 4sp.
12 bolt 3.73
factory pw
fold down rear seat
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 07:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
And replacing the cam

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 14, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
Yep, no need to do any prep. Hop in, and crank it.
I'm sure the battery has a charge.

In wendellworld gas, oil, and batteries last forever
In real life, they don't.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Are you only worried about the gas tank? Is your fuel pump good? I ran my engine from a gas can by running a 4' hose from the can to the fuel pump and started the engine. Put a new filter between the pump and carb. I did it that way till I got around to dropping the tank and flushing out the varnish in there. Then I used an electrick fuel pump to flush the lines from the tank to the engine.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Wendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
Yep, no need to do any prep. Hop in, and crank it.
I'm sure the battery has a charge.

In wendellworld gas, oil, and batteries last forever
In real life, they don't.
Oil has been changed with the "all fluids". But you're right. I forgot this is the internet and didn't specify that he needs a battery to start his car.
Good luck with the project. Don't forget to replace the oil pump. They go bad if they sit too long.

1967RS
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys for all the replies. Let me add some info. Yes, I know I need a battery, lol. The carb has been rebuilt already. It's a Mechanical fuel pump with new hoses and filter to carb. Tank and line to fuel pump have not been drained yet. My concern from what I've been reading online, (Too much info is as bad as too little) , is that the gas is fouled in the tank and line to the pump and that I will screw up the carb if it gets in there. There may be rust as well since there's not much gas in there. Again, this is what I've been reading. So I thought to eliminate that possibility I'd go with an external small container or just putting gas in the bowls to get a minute of run time. Then if it's running I can deal with possibly replacing the tank all together and line. Oh and I didn't mention the trunk pan is bad in places. I just keep peeling back that onion you know? So to stay motivated I need to hear it run!!!!! As for the ground question, static sparks etc was my concern. Grasping at straws on that one but better safe than sorry. I know of someone who's garage burned down because he had central vacuuming with pvc piping running thoughout. You are supposed to ground it every few feet which he didn't know. well, he vacuumed up saw dust and with all that material swirling around it creates static and boom, next thing you know the fire department is pulling up. Just thought I'd ask..........

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 11:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Use a can (container) of gas from the line to pump and get it started. The bowls will not be enough to actually get it to idle for very long. That was your initial question. It would appear that you have addressed everything else except clearing tank and line to pump. You should be good to go. Enjoy.

68, SS, BB, M20 4 speed
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Notatoy, thanks. So obvious I didn't even think of it. Just run a hose from say a gallon container to the pump right? "What's obvious to some is invisible to others." (I just made that up).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode