Sqealing belt problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Sqealing belt problem

No matter what I do seems the belts have to squeal. Changed belts changed alt pully, changed distributor which was making same sound as belts.

Whenever I get the engine up to operating temp like driving for 10 miles or so it really gets loud. So tired of the wretched noise.

How do you tell for sure where what is causing the problem.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 05:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Sqealing belt problem

Belt dressing would be a temporary fix...
If you put on NEW belts and still have issues, my guess is that you either have misaligned pulleys or there is grease/oil or some other contaminant in the pulley grooves.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 08:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

distribnutor was making the "same sound as the belts"?

Are you sure it is a belt problem, and not something else?

Does it start immediately at start u. when cold? if o, try taking the belts off completely, and start the motor (don;t run it for any length of time without cisrculating the coolant, but at least the initial start up (without belts) will tell you if it is a belt squeal or some other issue (like bad bearings in the water pump or on the alternator)...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech

Do the belts loosen off after the drive, if yes then I would suspect alignment of the pulleys, or a broken bracket, If they are still tight after the drive, check the voltage regulator, it could be trying to maintain a maximum out put for the alternator, Is there an AC compressor that is seized, What kind of car, engine, are we talking ?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

It'd be nice to have a picture of the setup. If you've got the alternator mounted to the exhaust, and have one long bracket for the adjustment which goes to the top of the alternator, it's more than likely flexing. Also, as others stated, most aftermarket setups need to be shimmed to be aligned properly. If you've got a small block, I'd go to a pull-a-part yard and rip off the front drive of a vortec truck/suv engine and throw it on, you get a serpentine setup for under $300, and it's alot smoother feeling than a vbelt setup.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

putting aside misalgnment for the moment.. assuming thats good

Simple way to find which belt... pour a little water on .. sounds goes way , thats the offender.

1/ does the belt profile match the pulley profile specs?
2/ If duel pulley then make sure the batch numbers on the belts are the same... they NEED it be a 'matched 'pair so they torque up with equal stretch/ pressure.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Could be bearings in WP?

You are throwing me for a loop with the Dist.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Squeal has been found,,,,wouldnt believe it if hadnt seen it. Was so perplexed I took it to a local shop to look at it seeing how they had a few tools I dont.

Of all things it turned out to be is,,,,,the different valve covers the last mechanic put on it sealed to well I guess. It was vaccum in the crankcase and when he took the filler cap off it disappeared. So I need a vented filler cap if there is such a thing. A million years I could have looked and not found that one. He said he thought the squeal was sucking air past the front and rear seals.

These valve covers are the fancy finned alum M/T covers. Any suggestions as to a proper vented cap????

Sometimes you just slap your head and say DUH!!!!! How can I be so dumb???
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 07:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I don't know anything about the filler cap that you have on current covers but , the stock style finned SS & Z covers, have such a vented oil filler cap, its the simple 1/2 turn to lock. Might look at one and see it will work.
If not, you may be able to drill a very small hole between the paper gasket and cap.

But then, Is you pcv valve working or correct one, Do you have a crank vent to air cleaner hose?

Picture of your covers?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode