Cam fine for build?? Too big/small?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyson

Cam fine for build?? Too big/small??

Currently have comp 11-432-8 cam (230/236exh) .510/.510. Xr-282HR-10. BBC 454, alum oval port 115cc, 300 intake. 9:1 comp, flat top pistons. What think/recommend? Engine is strong but want to make sure getting most out of it. Msd EFI. Forged pistons will be going in next yr but cam swap now no prob if needed.
Any other questions/issues appreciated.
Thanks for help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Cam fine for build?? Too big/small??

We need more information, such as your intended use, rear gear ratio, type of transmission. If this is a drag race car with 4.11 gears and a 2500 stall convertor, then sure the cam is perfect.

This is a big, aggressive cam. With the power band being stated of 2200-5800, that is more cam than I would run in a street machine.
For a street car, I would choose something smaller. If it were me, I would be looking at the next cam smaller. I you want to stick with a hydraulic roller, maybe look at the XR264HR

If this is a street car with mild gearing (such as 3.36-3.08) or that area, and a stock convertor, then you better select a cam with a lower power band because that is where you drive mostly. Midrange-upper RPM power is great, but if you don't normally drive in that power range, then why have a big gnarly cam? Unless you just want the big aggressive sound?

When building a street car, I always like to cam for low end torque, since that's what you use on the street. Build for torque, and the HP will take care of itself.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyson

Little more info: 68 Camaro is street driven only, 3:73 gears, and TKO500 trans. Do love the aggressive sound it has now, but just wanted to be sure I'm not losing power for my application. Still learning, but have read a ton of guys losing power due to an under/over sized cam.

Thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 01:51 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I think it's on the smallish side for all out power or even a BBC
I had a 25X/260X @ .050 with 6.30 lift solid roller in a 406 SBC with 10.7:1 comp....ran pretty good (11.30 @ 119 was the best it did)

You will need more compression too

But for what you have now.....I'd say middle of the road (could do better or worse)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

I like your combo but it could use some more compression.

When you change pistons shoot for 10 to 1 or slightly less.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 04:29 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Ty, if it's in your budget, call Chris at Straub Tech. he does some amazing custom ground cams for your application. My 496BBC is now insane, it will now break traction in 3rd gear with the TKO600 and 3:55 rear gears ... with good vacuum and street manners

Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by growngrass View Post
Currently have comp 11-432-8 cam (230/236exh) .510/.510. Xr-282HR-10. BBC 454, alum oval port 115cc, 300 intake. 9:1 comp, flat top pistons. What think/recommend? Engine is strong but want to make sure getting most out of it. Msd EFI. Forged pistons will be going in next yr but cam swap now no prob if needed.
Any other questions/issues appreciated.
Thanks for help!
What heads are on this combo? What intake under the EFI?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tyson

I'm trying a set from Clewwho off Ebay, and yes..... I've already heard it a million times from everyone. No issues YET. Anyhow, I'm running the Edelbrock Performer RPM. info on heads stated above. Let me know of other questions/thoughts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I would think that cam would be fairly docile in a 454. I have that same grind in a 9.5 383 and it runs good. Only slightly annoying at idle. Regarding the 2200-5800 thing - 2200 isn't much above idle and comes very quickly with 3.73s.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 14, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

That cam is not big for a 454. I agree with others, it could use more compression though as others stated, the intake closes fairly late, so it may seem lazy down low, but, you also have 454 cubes in your favor. If you can get rid of it, there are better options out there, personally, I would choose something with around the same duration, but quite a bit more lift. I have a similar cam in a 333" motor, about the same lift, more duration, and the intake closes even later, while the idle, and vacuum does suck, the street manners are fairly well, and it's over 100 cubes less.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode