Starter keeps coming out of adjustment - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Starter keeps coming out of adjustment

I have a 68 'vert with a 454. It has about 550 ft-lbs of torque. I bought a high torque starter and couldn't adjust it so I sent it back. Then I bought a regular GM starter from the local parts store. It worked fine but sounded a bit bad. I shimmed it and it worked great. I left for Korea for a year and left my wife instructions to start the car every couple of weeks. I came back 10 months later and she hadn't started it in 9 1/2 months. She said the starter sounded weird and it wouldn't turn over. I went out and sure enough it was grinding on the flywheel and was completely out of whack. (I primed the motor first and blew out the fuel lines and rebuilt the carb before trying to start it) Anyway, I re-shimmed the starter and it worked great again for about 2-3 starts and then started grinding again. Still starts, but sounds terrible. I made sure the bolts were tightened, etc. Any ideas how to keep it from doing this? As much as I love working on the car...this is getting a bit ridiculous! Appreciate any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 14, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: Starter keeps coming out of adjustment

Are you using the correct shouldered bolts? or regular non shouldered bolts. Should look like these. Diagonal mounting are the long ones and the other set is for side by side mounting. Normally the shims aren't needed, at least I've have never had to use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starterbolts.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	81258  

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Lyle

also check bolt length. Older starters used longer bolts and they get tight when they bottom but the starter might still wiggle around. A quick fix is a washer between the starter and the bolt head, the correct fix (if this is the case) is the right shorter bolts.

1969 Camaro Convertible

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

sounds like you're just using regular bolts and not the specific starter ones.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech
Al

In addition to the correct bolts as said you should also make sure you have the starter brace installed on the heavy factory style starter http://www.grumpysperformance.com/Starterbrace.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 01:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Ya know,,,, maybe there's more going on here.
Brian, how often does the car start properly? I'm wondering how much torque it takes to actually roll over your engine. A good loose BBC should require about 40-60 ft pounds to move. It's easy to check with your torque wrench on the front crank snout bolt.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

I'll check the bolts. You might be correct that they are not the knurled/correct shoulder type. And I definitely don't have the brace on the back of it. The starter doesn't move once they are tightened down that I can tell...until it moves enough to come out of alignment after a few starts. Fred, I will check the torque tonight if I get the chance. Appreciate the inputs!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 14, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Are there any fasteners holding the mounting block/nose case to the motor section? I had a high torque starter doing what you are describing in addition to failing to engage when I turned the key every few tries (it was that annoying grinding sound when the pinion doesn't engage the flywheel). After numerous attempts to re-shim with tempoary success, I happened to wiggle the motor portion and found that all three bolts holding it to the mounting block/nose section were backed out, allowing the motor and thus the gear to engage at random clearances.

Only other thing I can think of, is the pinion possibly over-engaging (i.e. too far into the flywheel)? Seems like this would push the starter away every time you started it, until it mis-aligned, and wouldn't show up as you re-shimmed because the pinion would be retracted at that point (because the key wouldn't be on "start").

1969 Z28 Clone/383 SBC/Holley #4779 750DP w/HP center section/Tremec TKO600/Dutchman 9"/Pypes 3" race pro/Doug's D368/ 17x8, 17x9 VWW/Nitto 555
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 14, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

you will get weird starter engagement issues if the bolts are bent...

and if a car is going to sit, don't start it every 2 weeks... or every 2 months... or even every 2 years- just let it sit with no fuel in the carb and the battery disconnected until you want to actually drive it.. it's harder on it to start it and let it idle for a little while than it is to start it and run it, mostly due to unburnt fuel getting in the oil and water from the combustion process sitting in the exhaust because the mufflers don't get warm enough to evaporate it..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 10:06 AM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globemaster68 View Post
I'll check the bolts. You might be correct that they are not the knurled/correct shoulder type. And I definitely don't have the brace on the back of it.
There's your answer - doesn't matter which big bolts you use, if you don't have the starter brace, it's going to come loose and become misaligned at the flywheel interface. The brace is there for a reason, to manage the cantilevered load from the starter's weight while also managing the torque reaction when it cranks. Get the right knurled mounting bolts and the brace and you'll be in business.

JohnZ
CRG
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Ok. I got the right bolts...they were not correct. Replaced them. Car started like a kitten...roared like a tiger. Then the cat got stuck in the fly wheel the next time I tried to start it! Out of alignment again. I pulled the shim that had been in there out with the same results. Just not engaging correctly. I checked the torque as Fred suggested and it is about 65-70 ft lbs. I dont have the brace for the back of the starter. I will get one and see if that makes a difference. And Novaderrik...hopefully it wont be sitting anytime soon...assuming I can get the damn thing started!!!! But I appreciate the info! More to follow, I'm sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
starter adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode