Need Advice, In a Dilemma - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Need Advice, In a Dilemma

Ok so let me make this as short and informative as possible. I bought a 1969 Camaro X44 rolling shell back in the end of May. I also bought a 1970 Camaro off of craigslist with a big block 427 for 3400. The engine is cherry, built up with dual 650 edelbrock carbs, msd ignition, cam, etc...; I have a friend who told me he would put in the engine from the 1970 to the 69 for me for really cheap. I trust this guy & he knows what he is doing so I agreed. Well as many on this forum have found out, the headers clear on the 1970 alot easier than the 1969. So, my friend knows a guy in a nearby town who has his own exhaust and muffler shop who he says can modifiy the headers from the 70 to fit the 69. He can also weld great and can make me the correct crossmember to go with a th400, wire the msd correctly, shorten the driveshaft properly, and a few other oddball things for me. In return I would be giving him the 1970 which is basically a rusted out rolling shell. The guy picks up both Camaros on June 6th. My friend says he will take about 2 weeks to get this done! I was ok with that. My goal was to get it running by the end of July at the latest. Not cosmetically nice, just running. I stop by the guys shop about a month into the job thinking "Wtf, its already been a month, I'm going to go check on this guy". He tells me "I've put on the exhaust and just fit the header, and am working on it while I can". & I'm like "no no no, I wanted my car done just like everyone else, priority just like your exhaust customers. Just because this is a "trade" deal doesn't mean to put my car on the backburner until you have "free time". If its money that you want, I will happily pay you for the proper labor involved and we can forget about trading the 1970. & he replies with "Well I don't do business that way, I will treat your car like everyone elses and get it done!. He says he will have it done in about two weeks!...... Well it is now August the 4th. I have no idea what to do or how to go about this...My middle man friend who originally got this Exhaust guy to do the job told me he contacted him on Friday, & the douche bag said "Ive been working on it a little bit, but Im an exhaust guy first. This is a winter project" WTF? Really! I'm at work right now really irritated and pissed off. What should I do or how should I go about this to get my car back!? I'm afraid that since he has done god only knows what, someone else new diving in won't know what to do or how to fix it. Also, If i threaten to get legal action involved, we have no contract??......If i offer to pay him for the little that he has done, and forget about the 70 all together, I fear he will be upset and charge me a high amount up the A$$ like a thousand dollars or more for minimal labor?!?! I have no idea what to do at all!??!? Any advice for me?!?? Thanks.........Sorry this is so long!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Need Advice, In a Dilemma

I would go back with what ever you need to get the car back. I assume you trailered it there.
Tell the guy this is not what you agreed to and that he said 2 weeks, 2 months ago.
I would then take the car and see what arrangements can be made to pay/trade or what ever. It is your car and you are the customer. So don't be wussy about it and just go and get the damn car back.
Also they make headers for big blocks that fit into 69 Camaros. Scrap or sell the 70s headers and buy a set for the car.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 09:35 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Just grab the flatbed and pick the cars up, bring a cop with you and be done with them both IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

JMT's Everybody has a daytime job and a life - this is side job - no contract was written up.
However, a man's word is as good as a contract, or it was when I was growing up.
Bartering is the best system.
I would visit the Guy and discuss the job and go from there.
Unless you want to do it yourself, I don't think you want to since you farmed it out, get the Camaros back and take to a reputable shop.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

@ Stewie, I agree 100% with what you have said. I am not trying to be a wussy about it. The thing is that although I am extremely pissed and fed up, I do acknowledge that this guy has done SOME work and is expecting to be compensated. I just want to go about this the right way to either A) get him off his *** and finish the damn job ASAP for real this time or B) Charge me for the small amount of labor he has done and be done with him!....my worry is that if he hits me with an expensive price and refused to let me take my vehicles, what recourse or action would I have to take to go about it without paying his high price?!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

go to your locapl police department. explain what happened, and ask them to accompany you to get your cars back
tell them you suspect trouble and you don't want any
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Go get your car ASAP IMHO!

1967 convertible T-1
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 11:02 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
go to your locapl police department. explain what happened, and ask them to accompany you to get your cars back
tell them you suspect trouble and you don't want any

Police here would just tell you it's a civil matter.

The best thing to do is have a face to face and agree to let him finish or agree to pay fair and take the cars back.

In any event whatever you agree get it in writing.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

James, Just go back to the shop with your friend that arranged this deal. Tell the guy that it has taken far longer to do the job than you agreed to. Tell him when you expect the engine in the car and ready to be transported. Tell him you are leaving him the 70 Camaro for what work he has done. If he doesn't agree get your deal making friend involved to remind him of their deal. Summit Racing sells Hooker headers for the 69 Camaro for $189. Camaro Central sells the 400 trans mount for $79. You can go to MSD's website and get directions to wire the MSD box. It's not that complicated. You need red & black 10 gauge wire to connect the MSD box to the battery. You will need some red 14 gauge wire to connect the ignition switch to the MSD box. Jack the engine up after removing the motor mount bolts one side at a time. Drop in the header and bolt it up. Then carry the car to a muffler shop to connect the rest of the exhaust. Do the work yourself you won't get in the middle of these deals. Good luck.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Thanks for all the advice everyone I really appreciate it! I think Im going to give this guy a call for my lunch hour & see what the heck he has to say after I tell him how I am not having any of this "Winter Project" bull. I have to wait till the weekend @ the earliest to go reposses my vehicles so we will see what he says and go from there! I will definitely post and update you guys with what happens!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 11:21 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by romerojr69 View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone I really appreciate it! I think Im going to give this guy a call for my lunch hour & see what the heck he has to say after I tell him how I am not having any of this "Winter Project" bull. I have to wait till the weekend @ the earliest to go reposses my vehicles so we will see what he says and go from there! I will definitely post and update you guys with what happens!
I think I would approach with "I appreciate what you've done so far.....and I understand it's hard for you to just drop everything....but I really need your help in getting this done by such and such date...and if that doesn't work for you let's just settle up and move on"

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Sounds like the guy has done 'some' work on the car, so I'd pay him what ever he thinks he's owed and get the car back the very same day. No telling what some of these yahoos do to cars when they are disgruntled. Surely another shop worth its salt can pick up and finish the headers/exhaust project. If you end up paying a little more than what would be deemed 'fair', then just chalk it up as experience. Barter or not, I'd get something written with a price and time line of completion next time around. I learned the hard way myself.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Smile Re: Need Advice, In a Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I think I would approach with "I appreciate what you've done so far.....and I understand it's hard for you to just drop everything....but I really need your help in getting this done by such and such date...and if that doesn't work for you let's just settle up and move on"

@Vegas69 I think that is a really great idea and way to go about this. I will definitely use this approach as it gets my point across and also keeps the mood civil and shows that I'm not messing around anymore! Thanks I appreciate it!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Talked to the exhaust guy. He seemed to take my criticism well and responded with trying to be able to make it a point to spend more time and work on it a great deal this Wednesday. He said he will then call me on Wednesday and see how far out he is. I told him that I am fed up and that I will not be waiting for a "winter project". I told him he was not going to have my car another "two weeks" and that I cannot afford to wait longer. That I would be going to pick up both cars and that I would pay him for the little he has done. He sounded sympathetic & said that the car is basically ready to roll & that he doesnt need much more. I will update you guys with the progress or with whatever lame excuse he gives me Wednesday as to how much longer this will take If anyone here is interested! Thanks to all who contributed and gave their opinions or advice. I just hope I got something accomplished with him today!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 14, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Go with your friend who referred you so that he can be a 'voice of reason' when you both go at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode