Trying to get my 350 running again after 5 years - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 14, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Nelson

Trying to get my 350 running again after 5 years

I have this 69 with a 350, have not driven it for 5 years. Turns out the distributor is bad, just replaced it, and the engine seems to want to run now, but could not get it started.

I don't think the engine is flooded, fuel is getting to the carb, maybe the level is not right yet, but should not effect the starting of the it. Tried to advance the timing slightly, not sure if that would help to make it easier to start, or should I go the other way. I had it set at close to TDC when installing the new distribute. Tried to use engine starting fluid as well, almost get it, but didn't keep going.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 14, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Trying to get my 350 running again after 5 years

Try advancing a little more. I've gone through this myself when stabbing a new distributor, and usually you stab the dizzy at TDC, and then need to advance it quite a bit to get it to run initially. I am usually not advanced enough, and then eventually I finally figure it out, and it fires up no problem! I am often somewhat surprised by how much advance a small block chevy wants, especially if you have a performance engine with higher compression or have a cam in there.

Good luck!

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 14, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Pull the plugs and squirt WD40 or oil into cylinders and use starter to distribute oil.\
This lube will make the engine crank over easier.
Install plugs after they have been dried.
Externally charge battery.
Next day, crank up curb idle screw a couple turns.
Attach timing light and with assistant, crank engine.
Observe timing marks with light and rotate dist as needed for initial timing, whereever it might be, and engine will start.
Run engine for 20 minutes, then adjust initial timing, if stock camshaft, to say 8°-12° BTDC.
The engine will tell you what it likes, vacuum gauge will indicate a higher value when happy.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 14, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Nelson

Finally, got it going, took about 5-6 tries. Will need to fine tune it, get the timing better, adjust the float and idle, bleed the breaks, then I will be ready to take it out for a spin. It‘s has been 5 years since I last drove it .
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 14, 10:58 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

check the radiator level and power steering fluid for contamination and dump the oil too before you cruise after her long nap.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

I'd make sure the carb is good. I just had an accelerator pump diaphragm let go and it pretty much flood the intake manifold. Rubber dries out over time.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
I'd make sure the carb is good. I just had an accelerator pump diaphragm let go and it pretty much flood the intake manifold. Rubber dries out over time.
Alan, I had the same problem on my car. Is the accelerator pump diapham easy to change out?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 03:54 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

They are simple rebuilds.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 14, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Nelson

well, what do you know, I spoke too soon. After got it going for about 10 minutes a few days ago, I didn't get around to it for a few days, but it won't start again. Have been trying, just won't fire up. Not sure why. Have tried to advance and retard the timing, went back and forth, still no luck.

I noticed I'm getting some sod build up on the carb, what does it mean? I wants to start, but at the last moment, it just goes puff, and smoke seem to spit out the carb.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 14, 04:12 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I think your timing is off and your close to a back fire through the carb. But if you have been flopping the dizzy back and forth advance and retard you might have to reset to TDC and make the best possible stab at a spot where it will start and run again. Do you have any idea where the dizzy was pointed when it did start last? If so start there and once you get it started set the timing and lock it down before you shut down again.

What do you mean by
Quote:
I noticed I'm getting some sod build up on the carb, what does it mean?
Black Carbon build-up?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 14, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

I've stabbed a distributor wrong once when I put a top end on my engine. I swore up and down that I stabbed it right, absolutely could not get it to run for more than a few seconds, massive fireball through carb, couldn't get a timing light on it. My friend came over, literally yanked the distributor so far forward it yanked a plug wire off and started right up, it was at that point I ate my words and we re installed the distributor correctly. You've got everything, fuel, spark, I'm almost positive in your case it's the distributor. Advance it until the can hits the intake runner, I bet it will start, and then you know your distributor is stabbed incorrectly.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 14, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Nelson

Sorry, I meant "soot",

I will have to check the distributor, thought I had it on about right, it ran for 10 minutes fine, just had little hesitation when you rev it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Nelson

After 5 tried and could not get it going, I pulled the plugs, they were completed black. I checked them just a few days ago, and they were fine. So I bought a set a plugs and replaced it. That was 2 days ago.
I then set the timing to about 25 advanced, people tell me with my 12.5 compression and high cam, I should way advance it. I tried to start it again this morning, it puffed for a seconds, but did not keep going. Tried to crank it for 5 minutes, didn’t fire up. Left for about 2 hours, came back and tried it again, but still no go. Decided to pulled the plugs again, and they were completely black again. What would cause it? Timing too far advanced? Running too rich, oil leak( why would all 8 plugs be so black)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563[1].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	83994  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Plugs are sooty because of stationary running - not getting hot enough to burn off the soot. Try a hotter heat range.
Externally charge battery, squirt oil into cylinders, and do a compression check in order to find an idea of compression ratio. Any reading over 200 PSIG indicates high compression.
Yes, if engine has a long duration camshaft, it will need advanced timing.
Set initial timing for starting purposes, then plug in vacuum advance to full vacuum to bring in additional running timing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 14, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Nelson

Got it going. Had to take it to a old timer's garage. It was electrical, not enough voltage to the coil, only had 10V. Once he connected a 12V source to it, it started right away.

Made me feel stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode