Discouraged/Encourage Maybe? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Question Discouraged/Encourage Maybe?

Hey guys, so I got my car back from the exhaust shop. New Big Block Hedman Headers & New Flowmaster with X Pipe done. 427 Chevy Block Casting # 3855961 which is an early 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Block With Cam, Dual 650 Edelbrock intake, MSD Ignition, TH400 bolted up, driveshaft yet to be shortened and installed. Car is solid with no rust issues that I am aware of. Body is fairly straight. X44 Car with 10 bolt rear. Full Interior although it is like 1980's cloth style. I am pretty deep into this project and don't know if I should keep going or just sell the damn thing to try and break even! I also have a thousand dollars worth of new parts in the box never even been opened such as 2" steel cowl hood, new hood springs, chrome mirrors, new lower valance spoiler, new rear spoiler, new grille. What is this Camaro worth approximately? I'm pretty discouraged at this point and don't know if I should just sell or keep going!?! :/

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/ro...amaro/library/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 03:33 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Discouraged/Encourage Maybe?

IMHO - Keep rolling you will most likely regret not finishing it in the long run.

Why not work towards getting it on the road with what you have now and in boxes and enjoy her a bit then work dome more this winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 04:19 PM
Banned
Chet

You aren't saying why you are discouraged. I'll ask, so why are you discouraged with a solid body camaro with a big block?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

Question Re: Discouraged/Encourage Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post
You aren't saying why you are discouraged. I'll ask, so why are you discouraged with a solid body camaro with a big block?

I feel discouraged because I kind of dove in balls 2 the wall @ 8 Grand for the rolling shell X44 base Camaro. Then added in all the extra cash to get the Engine Tranny & Misc Parts. I now feel like even if I backed out now, I probably couldn't even sell what I have for what I already spent just to break even. & No one wants to feel like their investment is ALREADY UPSIDE DOWN when they aren't even halfway into the project!! YIKES. Whats My Hunk of Junk Worth!?! Encourage or Discourgage lol.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by romerojr69 View Post
I feel discouraged because I kind of dove in balls 2 the wall @ 8 Grand for the rolling shell X44 base Camaro. Then added in all the extra cash to get the Engine Tranny & Misc Parts. I now feel like even if I backed out now, I probably couldn't even sell what I have for what I already spent just to break even. & No one wants to feel like their investment is ALREADY UPSIDE DOWN when they aren't even halfway into the project!! YIKES. Whats My Hunk of Junk Worth!?! Encourage or Discourgage lol.
Investment? You are supposed to be enjoying you effort at all costs. I mean isn't that what rodding is? Did I get lost along the way?
Had my car 45 years, its been a long maintenance road all this time. Never satisfied. If I sold my car today for 80K, I would still be short. But having fun along the way.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 05:58 PM
John

Garage

Let me put it this way.

If you sell it now you're going to take a bath. Almost every 1st Gen I bought has been exactly from a guy in your situation and I buy them for about 50 cents on the dollar for what he has invested. I have 2 69's and a 67 in my garage right now that I bought just that way.

Finish it up and you'll love it and if you decide to sell you'll come out way way better.

The key to getting these projects done is just try to do even a little thing or two every week. Enjoy the time and work. Set reasonable progress milestones that you can achieve in relatively short time periods. This will keep you from getting overwhelmed or discouraged. Then all of a sudden you'll being saying "Damn this is done. Now what am I going to do?"

ps. If you want to sell shoot me a pm.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 14, 11:57 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I bought a rusty POS of a '68 for $4500, then paid $6000 cash to a good body shop to weld in all new sheet metal to fix all the rust. This was when I was active duty army and I didn't care because I had fat paychecks but no time to work on my car. It cost alot, but now I've got a '68 that is rust free...

but it aint a '69, and in aint a big block either!

If you scored a rust free 69 for $8k, you got a hella good deal dude!

OK, so never look at the car as how much you spent. Its not about that. If you think about like that, you'll be bummed because sinking money into an old car is a horrible way to invest your money. So... don't do this as an investment. Do it because you love it! Do it because you're a car guy, you're a street freak, you're a hardcore gear head, because you always wanted a '69 camaro. Be very proud because you sir, are one of the guardians of the sacred muscle.

So many people wish they could do what we do.

Make a list of what your car needs to just get it drivable and just take it one step at a time. Get that driveshaft shortened. Other little things, just get it on the road finally and then you will be totally stoked.

Right now its in that 'awkward teenager' stage where its not actually running and driving, but soon it will be, and then you'll fall in love with it all over again.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
'68 350 4 speed
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I agree as others have said....don't do this as an investment. Do it because you love working on the car....I mean IT IS a classic CAMARO!!!! How many people can say they even own one!!?? I made a list of things that needed to be done to the car while I was working on it and that really helped me to keep moving because I could SEE the progress I was making, not just on the car, but when I crossed a bunch of stuff off the list. I had so many lists, my wife teased me and asked "are you making a list for your list?" haha!! BUT it worked!! If you need to, take a breather and then come back to it later, but don't give up!!! It will be so worth it in the end when you can say YOU did all this work! Keep going!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Garage

If you sink $40,000 into it, take good care of it, what is it worth after 10-15 years of fun? Buy a new car for $40,000, take care of it, what is it worth in 10-15 years? I will buy the 69 Camaro.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
If you sink $40,000 into it, take good care of it, what is it worth after 10-15 years of fun? Buy a new car for $40,000, take care of it, what is it worth in 10-15 years? I will buy the 69 Camaro.
X2, better said.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 05:00 PM
Tech Team
Jim

My thoughts are: finish the car and keep it. You'll have something that many people never experience and the satisfaction of finishing your project
My 69 was never a restoration project. However many restorations & projects have been in my garage during my life. Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, even a few Japanese and German cars. Even seeing my wife rolling her eyes at the start and then smile when the cars were done. I wouldn't sell my 69 for money, its worth more than that to me, it is a keeper! Jim
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 14, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

Car projects aren't usually an investment. They are a place to waste money, like a boat. So remove the word investment from thoughts about cars you build. Resto shops make money on labor. Don't be fooled by completely falsified reality TV.
You're upset you have a 1st gen Camaro w/ a 427? I wish I had your problems.
Get it running and a driveshaft in it ad go for a ride. I'm sure that will improve your outlook.
Selling would be giving away your work.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 03:45 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

You're discouraged because of the current state. It's not going to happen all at once, it's a marathon, not a race. Your car won't be completed in two weeks, or two months, maybe not even 6-8months, and even if it is completed in 6-8 months, how would the quality be? I'd rather have a project in a million pieces for a year, than have something slapped together in 6-8 months. If I could do it all over, instead of rushing my project to have it together to compete with the jonses, I'd spend more time perfecting it, than having a decent looking car that runs/drives decent. Spend time on it, and make it stand out. People notice detail. Afterall, you don't just want your '69 to be one of the other 80,000 '69's on the road right? I look at some of these Camaros going down the road, at shows/races, and literally yawn. Don't be that guy. lol.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 07:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi James
When I get "bummed" at my "HS Backburner Restomod" Project, I look at this

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...190635&page=61

From a bad decision to buy it, to WOW ! Amazing, I think 3 things, this guy has to be one of the best I have ever seen, The $$ and Time invested and he Can't be Married

I just put the GTMAT 080mil Soundproofing on the front of my Firewall/ floorpan getting it ready to install my Classic Auto Air system, moving along – Baby steps, wished I was Running.

Like AJ said, I have so much to do that I want to make it “MY own” creation and I am doing it “Old School”, as I get going on something, I get an Idea. My new one is to Modify my BB Heater Housing to adapt putting the Inside A/C system for a little Stock look other than the Block off panel.

I am Not doing this Restoration for Resale Value, I am doing it to Enjoy it with my Son.

My wife came out into the Garage a few months ago and said, “I’m beginning to get a little Mad over this Car thing” - I blurted out,
“Your going to really get Madder at my Car now, and your Pissing me off, Keep it up and we’ll get the Gloves out”. I think she was testing the waters !!!

Glad I got that Said, she has not bothered me since, I think she was jealous of the car – She should be. I told her at lunch on Friday I am not going to do this car on a Budget, I will worry about paying for it later, I have had this car for 16 years.

I took her to the Movies and bought her Pop Corn Friday night, kids are at Camp so it was a date, we saw Lucy. Great movie and I have been working on the car all weekend.

Suck it up James and get moving Forward ! You will be happy. I can’t wait
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Soundproofing 002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	83178  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 14, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Don't throw the towel in on her. Forget ALL of the made up fairy taie bulls#%t that is on all of these reality car shows about flipping these cars as an investment. These cars are an investment in fun. This hobby has begun to gain momentum as a way to make money. FORGET what you see and hear on Mecum and Barrett Jackson. Enjoy your car and the journey of making it yours. I have had my 69 for 15 years, and have never stopped working on it. I look forward to working on it as well as driving it. Most of us have been where you are at now. Like many others have stated already, get it driving and take it out for a nice long drive! There is NOTHING like driving in a1969 Camaro with a big block! Don't get rid of your car!

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode