holley carb secondary spring - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 14, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jerry

holley carb secondary spring

have a 6619-1 holley carb on my 69 z28 with a 350 cu in in it.
want to change secondary spring. has orig black in it now.
engine , I think, has a small cam in it. what spring should i
put in the carb? is this a big job,as I never did it before ?
runs good with this carb. thanks.

Last edited by JERRYS 69 Z; Aug 15th, 14 at 08:09 PM. Reason: wrong number on carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 14, 08:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: holley carb secondary spring

Not sure if the spring you have is stock or not , but Holley has a spring assortment that you can select from , weaker to stronger.
I think this carb is from the 1850 series, single inlet, banjo fitting and fuel balance tube to rear bowls. Not a hard job to change, some times you have to remove the entire diaphragm to do this or get to the last screw near the choke, if it has one.
Any local performance shops in your area?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 14, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

tell us more about the combo, trans gear ratio ect...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 14, 11:57 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

What is happening to make you want to change secondary spring. Here is a little info about 0-6619-1 from Team Chevelle forum. The Holley 0-6619-1 is an early 1970's emmissions aftermarket replacement carb. It is a 4160 series that flows approx 600 CFM.These carbs have a fairly lean idle circuit and a relitivly large PVCR (Power valve channle restrictor) that allowed decient power.As assembled from Holley these carbs had a Black secondary diaphram spring. The Black spring is the heaviest spring made and designed to not allow the secondaries to open fully. Changing springs is necessary to allow full secondary opening.

These carbs were never intended as performance carbs.Their idle circuits were designed lean to be easy on emmissions and as such they dont respond well to big camshafts.These carbs ( there were several of this family of carbs 0-6619,0-6909,0-6919 ect ect ) were discontinued several years ago. Here is an article on changing and adjusting the secondary spring. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...ts/parts/20-13. Finish tuning as normal adjust floats, jets, poer valves, etc.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jerry

Car is orig x77 z 28, 4 speed, 3:73posi. 74 k miles. Bought from orig
Owner. It is orig color burgundy with white stripes. Pretty nice shape.
Orig owner blew engine drag racing, so he installed this 350 with a
Slight cam. The Holley carb's sec spring is black and I want to change
To a lighter spring to open secs as the black won' t open all way.
Thanks for all your info. I will buy a spring kit. Jerry
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Testing springs is easy.
Put the black spring onto a rod or pencil and take a selected spring and put it onto the rod small coil end to small coil end.
Now compress the large coil end of the springs by hand- the spring collapsing first is the weaker spring.

You may not know any difference performance wise as the secondaries open on demand or as needed.

Another trick is once the diaphram is off the body, pull out the lead slug and drill the hole to 0.089" this opens up the orifice to the venturi allowing a bigger pipeline for the pressure change in pulling open the secondaries.
Some people remove the check ball in the secondary housing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Go to Holley's site and view the spring performance chart. Figure out what spring you want to experiment with and buy that one or just get the kit that has them all and includes the spring performance chart.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 08:42 AM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Go to Holley's site and view the spring performance chart. Figure out what spring you want to experiment with and buy that one or just get the kit that has them all and includes the spring performance chart.
Perfect advice.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

What is the issue u are trying to fix?
Rem if u can feel the secondaries come in . they are not adjusted correct.
And as Everett mentions "
You may not know any difference performance wise as the secondaries open on demand or as needed."
Which means about the only difference u would see is if u had a O2 data logger on the car and extreme fine tune AFRs in a WoT rich situation where there is rather a huge tolerance between 11.5 and 12.5 AFR anyway. and any 'feel' will just mean the spring is so way wrong the secondaries are working wrong

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 05:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
What is the issue u are trying to fix?
Rem if u can feel the secondaries come in . they are not adjusted correct.
And as Everett mentions "
You may not know any difference performance wise as the secondaries open on demand or as needed."
Which means about the only difference u would see is if u had a O2 data logger on the car and extreme fine tune AFRs in a WoT rich situation where there is rather a huge tolerance between 11.5 and 12.5 AFR anyway. and any 'feel' will just mean the spring is so way wrong the secondaries are working wrong
Steps, are you saying that if the carb is wrong, it'll feel just like it's right? Or vice-versa?:

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Go to my web site, Holley section and look at the spring chart at what RPM the springs start to open and when they are fully open and figure which one suits your engine.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Go to my web site, Holley section and look at the spring chart at what RPM the springs start to open and when they are fully open and figure which one suits your engine.
Vacuum secondaries don't open based on engine rpm's, they open when the level of ported manifold vacuum increases enough to overcome the spring pressure.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Steps, are you saying that if the carb is wrong, it'll feel just like it's right? Or vice-versa?:
No I cant say that because I have no idea how or what the car is used for or what the final diff ratios are....
Read the 2 posts above , get the original spring for tha carb for that application or close to it

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech
Cory

i used to have a 3310 vac sec carb on my nova with a mild 350. i use to bracket race the car and swaping to lighter springs did pick up some et for me.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 11:39 AM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
Vacuum secondaries don't open based on engine rpm's, they open when the level of ported manifold vacuum increases enough to overcome the spring pressure.
Nope. Manifold vacuum has nothing to do with the opening of the secondaries, and essentially goes to zero when you go to WOT. Venturi vacuum, generated in the primary venturi by increasing air velocity past a fixed orifice pickup (Bernoulli's Principle) feeds the secondary diaphragm chamber, and is augmented by another fixed orifice pickup in the secondary venturi when they begin to open.

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode