new engine mount for header clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

new engine mount for header clearance

Hey guys, I have summit racing brand headers, and right now I have about 1/4" clearance between the header and power steering pump.

I'm putting in header flanges to use as spacers because my headers keep melting my plug wires. With these spacers I don't have enough clearance. I have heard of people changing the engine mounts to gain a lot of clearance. Does anyone have any ideas on what mounts or stands I can use, or if this is even a idea that will work?

I don't want to have to dent the headers but if that's the only way that's what I will do.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 07:55 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: new engine mount for header clearance

You shouldn't need to space the headers a 1/4" or more to prevent the plug wires from burning. Can you provide us all with the setup you are running such as what type, style and manufacturer's cylinder heads, the same for the spark plugs and plug wires. Perhaps with those details there will be other solutions offered that will work for you.

Are your current headers ceramic coated and if not, what is the finish on them?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Can you post some pictures of the engine showing the drivers side header. Maybe a shot from underneath of the frame and motor mount on the driver side.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
You shouldn't need to space the headers a 1/4" or more to prevent the plug wires from burning. Can you provide us all with the setup you are running such as what type, style and manufacturer's cylinder heads, the same for the spark plugs and plug wires. Perhaps with those details there will be other solutions offered that will work for you.

Are your current headers ceramic coated and if not, what is the finish on them?
I'm using the camel hump 462 heads. The plugs are stock ac delcos. Since my heads are straight plug, they come out right behind the number 6 header tube and burn the wires. There isn't any room at all.

It doesn't matter what wires I use they all burn on this tube, and they are ceramic coated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdminter55 View Post
Can you post some pictures of the engine showing the drivers side header. Maybe a shot from underneath of the frame and motor mount on the driver side.
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 07:52 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimizati0n View Post
I'm using the camel hump 462 heads. The plugs are stock ac delcos. Since my heads are straight plug, they come out right behind the number 6 header tube and burn the wires. There isn't any room at all.

It doesn't matter what wires I use they all burn on this tube, and they are ceramic coated.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, thanks
Have you tried shorty header plugs?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-0576s-4

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: new engine mount for header clearance

Use some of these to protect your wires.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-8815/overview/

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 01:45 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Use John and Tom's suggestions together and you may very well be all set. Only need one shorty plug on that one number 6 tube.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 03:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Use some of these to protect your wires.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-8815/overview/
$20 for 4 at Summit, or $29 for 8 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-8199-U-Groove-Spark-Plug/dp/B000BWAGOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-2&keywords=shorty+spark+plugs

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 06:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimizati0n View Post
Hey guys, I have summit racing brand headers, and right now I have about 1/4" clearance between the header and power steering pump.

I'm putting in header flanges to use as spacers because my headers keep melting my plug wires. With these spacers I don't have enough clearance. I have heard of people changing the engine mounts to gain a lot of clearance. Does anyone have any ideas on what mounts or stands I can use, or if this is even a idea that will work?

I don't want to have to dent the headers but if that's the only way that's what I will do.

Thanks!
You said clearance between the power steering pump , did you mean steering gear? Have you tried angle boots?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 14, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

I have found that Taylor Spiro-Pro wires with 135 degree spark plug boot fit the best on my BBC Camaro. Another thing compare the Summit Racing headers to Hedman Headers 68230. Look at the tube where you are having problems. Sometimes you have to be careful trial fitting the headers so you can send them back until you get the set that fits.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 03:10 AM
Brandon

No offense however I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for..... I'm all for getting deals and budgeting certain parts on my restorations. However, sometimes it's best to pay the piper and get exactly what you pay for i.e headers. Hooker comps and super comps are well worth their value! Many times you can find great used sets at swap meets for next to nothing! I found a set of super comp bbc headers for a tri-5 at a swap meet and paid $100 for them. Good luck with your build just my 2cents
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 03:33 AM
Brandon

Most all SBC headers are either 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" both which should give you ample PSP clearance. I have 2" BBC hooker ceramic coated super comp headers with MSD 90% plug wires zip tied under the headers to the distributor and no issue with them and it looks super clean. Unless you really want people to see your wires why run them out on top of the valve covers? Assuming you meant power steering box.....not pump running a SBC you should no clearance issues. If you do I would send those headers back ASAP! Summit doesn't make their own headers or any of their products for that matter....they get them private labeled from another manufacturer. Also, as crazy as this sounds double check to see if they sent you the correct headers for you car....it happens too often unfortunately. Good luck!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Make sure you have the correct frame stand/mount combination in your car. The 67-69 307/327 cars all used the same stands and mounts and the 67-68 302/350 cars used the same frame stands as those cars with different mounts. The 69' 302/350 cars used a shorter frame stand and taller mount specific to those cars only...if you install a set of 67-69 307/327 mounts onto a set of 69 302/350 mounts (it can be done) it will produce disastrous results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode