Suggestions for carb on 383 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Suggestions for carb on 383

I'm waiting for lights to be installed in my new tiny garage, and then I'll be able to move my car inside and resume work.

I have an Edelbrock carb that I bought off Ebay 4yrs ago. I was looking at it the other day and thinking that it looks pretty tired...some corrosion on the body, etc.

So I'm thinking of buying a new carb.

Motor is a stroker w/mild cam, Edelbrock Performer intake.

Looking for a few ideas if I decide to go new. I like the black Edelbrock 750...but really have no knowledge/experience in this area, so thought I'd ask you pros

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

Garage
Re: Suggestions for carb on 383

I have a stroked 383 with a mild cam(previous owner didn't know the specs) and Edelbrock heads and air gap intake and I have a Quick fuel 750SS mechanical secondary/advance and have been very happy with it. Runs strong and I have had no issues with it so far in the 7 years I have had it.

1969 Camaro - LeMans Blue
383ci Stroker ~ M22 4-speed ~ 12-Bolt Posi-3.73
AR Torq Thrust D Wheels:
Front - 15x6 with 215/65
Rear - 15x8 with 255/60
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

My preference would be a Holley Ultra HP https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-80803RD. If you want electric choke https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-76750RD If you like black you might like this one. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-80803HB. Black with electric choke https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-76750HB If you don't like the black and grey check this out https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-76750BK. The Ultra DP 750 is a good fit for a 383 stroker engine and having a 4 speed transmission you don't have to worry with vacuum secondaries.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 07:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I personally like the 76750HB black carb Doug mentioned above as the other black is a race carb and the shiny carb appears to have zinc plating or coating that's known to interact with any water and corrode, thus putting trash in your fuel.
I run an older 3310-4 with vac secondaires on my stroker . I have an 850HP that was tuned in with an LM1 , it screams but does not deliver the crisp throttle response on the street as the 750.
Just my 2

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Ok...just spent some time reading up on the QuickFuel.
Funny how answers turn into study projects and more questions

I like the looks of the red...hadn't considered that, but since my engine bay is red, that's an option.

Sounds like annular is the way to go vs. downleg. Even though you get a bit less flow, better atomization seems to produce increased torque.

Given that the stroker should have tons o' torque to begin with, this could be an interesting match.

From an older Car Craft article:
"Car Craft found that the downleg booster carb flowed an average of 19 cfm more throughout the RPM range, and as much as 65 cfm on the top end. However, the annular booster made an average of 7 more HP and 20 more ft-lbs, and as much as 96 more ft-lbs at 1800 RPM, even though it flowed less air."

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR77 View Post
I have a stroked 383 with a mild cam(previous owner didn't know the specs) and Edelbrock heads and air gap intake and I have a Quick fuel 750SS mechanical secondary/advance and have been very happy with it. Runs strong and I have had no issues with it so far in the 7 years I have had it.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

always been a fan of the Holley DP carbs...
On a 383, 750 might be a bit overkill, unless you are runningni t at th etop of the rpm range all of the time...Holley has a size calculator on their site...

I'd take a look at a 5650 or 700cfm for your needs...

Also, I'd ditch the performer and go with a performer RPM or a Holley Contender intake for the street...

The performer is a nice manifold, but is really meant for a mostly stock, or just above stock, motor...if you have a cam or good flowing heads...the performer will restrict the motor...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

I'm running a 700 double pumper on an Air Gap and have been very happy with the performance. With my set up I actually get 17mph on the highway which was a nice surprise.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

There's a new Street Demon that's been getting great reviews :
http://www.demoncarbs.com/1904.asp

It's a quadrajet replacement without the quadrajet problems.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The MOPAR Road Runner with it's big block (RB block) 383 was equipped with a 635 cfm Carter AVS (now called an Edelbrock since they bought the rights to it) from the factory. Everyone you hear talking on the various Road Runner or MOPAR boards states that that engine needs a 750 cfm sized carb though most favor the Carter many vote for the easier to tune Holley.

The new Street Demon that's been getting those great reviews looks suspiciously like a Carter Thermo Quad which Edelbrock wasn't able or was smart enough to license at the time.

This is the carb I ran on top of my 406;

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/0-82750

though I chose the Old School Dichromate finish:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...FStk7Aod3h0AJg

Larger Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 11:09 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I have a 383 stroker with 9.7:1 compression, Sportsman II iron heads, Comp Cams hyd roller w/.525 lift. The car is also running a 700r4 and posi with either 3.73 or 3.41 gears and apx 26" tall tires. This combo has had the following carbs on it:

Holley List 4346 780 vacuum sec, divorced choke - good all around performance, easy tuning; pulled down 23mpg driving 60mph w/3.73:1 rear gears. Never got rid of rich idle... Came on car when I bought it.

Holley Avenger 670 vacuum sec, electric choke - better low end response than 780 also switched to 3.42:1 gears. Best mileage recorded was 21-22 mpg @ 70 mph. Always had a very slight stumble off idle probably accl pump shot as a quick letup and pump of the gas pedal over came stumble. Swapped a set of valve covers for this one...

Holley HP750 vacuum sec like Dave's 82750 but with 4 corner idle - Wow, woke things up but never idled well and gas mileage was that of a big block, never recorded better than 15mpg even at a steady 65 mph. Harder to tune than the other two carbs... Bought used, previous owner didn't like it.

Holley 80783C 650 vacuum sec electric choke - this one gets my vote for overall best performance and manors, easiest to tune and keep your foot out of it fuel mileage. If you were buying this one new or refurbished it's the least expensive of all the carbs I have run. This one idles perfect, both in and out of gear, no rich idle and no bog or stumble with minimal tuning. I got this one refurbished from Holley...

I would only recommend the 750HP if you had a track close and wanted the most out of your engine, I liked it the least out of the 4 carbs I ran on the street and hwy.

The 4346 was better than the Avenger 670 and a close second to the 650 I am currently running.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 11:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I too run a Holley 80763 650. It is a much better street carb than the 80508 750 I had before. The 80508 always had a flat spot off idle. I tried richer jets then larger squirters. The larger squirters help quite a bit. But for around town and overall driving the 650 80763 is much better.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode