69 Camaro return fuel line - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

69 Camaro return fuel line

I have since installed a carburated 383 with an inline fuel filter- getting rid of the factory AC one with the nipple for the fuel return line back to the tank. So with that gone, what do I attach to that return line? I have a fuel regulator that I have heard guys will use one port to return. I'd certainly rather use the line than plug it off, so any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 01:58 AM
Senior Tech
George

Re: 69 Camaro return fuel line

Are you wanting to run a pee line or wanting to run a proper return fuel reg and line?

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 Lobe SEP
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163 Manifold
Auto gear M22W 410 12 Bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 06:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

If recall, this 1/4" nipple line off the filter was run back to the bottom of the fuel pump can. Or do you actually have a line going back to the tank? If so, use it, if not , going back to the return line is the same thing. Right?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Its an actual line going back to the tank. It parallels the 3/8 fuel line. I am trying to figure out how to utilize it. Since the fuel filter is gone, where/what would I hook into it?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS69Cam View Post
Its an actual line going back to the tank. It parallels the 3/8 fuel line. I am trying to figure out how to utilize it. Since the fuel filter is gone, where/what would I hook into it?
OK, I suspected it was a single line set up, I think this return line was put in place to help with the hot start issue as when engines are shut down, pressure remains in the carb or line, thus if you have leaking carb float needles, it dribbles down the carb and sits.
So if that's not a concern, plug it, but it would come in handy if you ran an after market EFI that did not have any means of keeping the fuel cool . I ran an EFI in one car and it had no return lines back to the tank, thus fuel was always hot . Running a return to the tank keep circulating the hot fuel but while maintaining a 55# psi on the injectors at all times.

My Z has only one fuel line and mechanical pump so , it works well with one line. Plug it at the filter and see what happens . At one time I thought these lines worked with a vapor canister but your line comes off the filter and goes back to the tank. I did not see a set up like that in the AIM manual.
Maybe someone will chime in on this.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

How about that! since I have never seen the AC fuel filter with a return line on it I looked up fuel filters on Camaro Central. Sure enough they had it and the price is $49.95. For something that should be changed about every 12,000 miles I think I would have found a different style filter. http://www.camarocentral.com/1969_19...r_p/fue-51.htm
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Doug- that is exactly the filter I took off. These are factory lines back to the tank, thus if I can use the return line, I will. Again, just not sure where I can plug into.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

This filter is common with A/C option because of the extra heat generated.
If mine, I would leave the line in place, and maybe, install a 0.030" orifice into the line and T it from the present supply line and just keep using the return line.
Certainly doesn't hurt leaving it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Marc, where was the filter located before you took it off. Here is a diagram of a fuel system. See what you would have to add to makeup a return system like in the attachment

Last edited by Cdminter55; Sep 3rd, 14 at 06:31 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 14, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

So, the filter was in the hard line from the fuel pump up to the carb. The (vapor return I guess its called) curved downward back to the line, back to the tank.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 14, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS69Cam View Post
So, the filter was in the hard line from the fuel pump up to the carb. The (vapor return I guess its called) curved downward back to the line, back to the tank.
Correct, steel hard lines heat up and fuel boils inside turning liquid into a vapor.

Thus the return line lets this vapor escape back to the tank to keep lower temp fuel, read liquid fuel, pumping.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode