Advice on good valve & timing covers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 14, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Advice on good valve & timing covers

I think I've found a nice two piece timing chain cover, though any advice is still welcomed. I need some advice on some valve covers. Jane's previous own used a cheap dress-up kit and when the valve & timing cover bolts were tightened down it created some slight leaks (bent covers/bad seal).

I'm willing to spend around $300 or less. I've spotted some on Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...1&YEAR=1580505

I want something stronger than thin metal. Does anyone know how well the fabricated aluminum covers work? Any advice on which one would fit my Camaro the best?

Thank you for any and all advice/help you can give. Forgive my ignorance when it comes to selecting parts. I'm an amature and it doesn't help that Jane's a '67 with a '69 transmission and a '79 engine that's been modified.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 14, 03:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 2 Dog Town in West Texas
Posts: 11,154
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Running factory finned GM covers but this is my rigid timing cover.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Cloyes/220/9-221/10002/-1

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zdld17 is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 14, 03:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon
 
Smitty68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hartselle,AL
Posts: 1,310
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Here are the valve covers I got from eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-86-SBC-Ch...93e8a4&vxp=mtr
This is the company that makes the comp cams covers that I also purchased.
The cloyes covers posted above are nice as well.
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_p...35c710a5ffa068

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smitty68 is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 12:17 AM
Senior Tech
Joe
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Posts: 460
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Valve covers are a personal style choice, but the aluminum style are usually more rigid and less prone to leaking than factory stamped steel or chrome.

Personally, I run early 60's factory corvette finned covers on my '68. My fav covers of all time.






They look awesome and seal very well, no leaks. You just have to have an intake with a provision for an oil filler and PCV. I'm running a vintage edelbrock C4B, but you can modify a normal performer intake for the center filler tube, the spot is there to drill the hole for the filler tube, then drill a hole near the distributor to install a grommet for the PCV valve. You can then have a 350 or 400 small block that looks like an early 327 or 283.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
kookykrispy is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 04:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 2 Dog Town in West Texas
Posts: 11,154
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
Valve covers are a personal style choice, but the aluminum style are usually more rigid and less prone to leaking than factory stamped steel or chrome.

Personally, I run early 60's factory corvette finned covers on my '68. My fav covers of all time.






They look awesome and seal very well, no leaks. You just have to have an intake with a provision for an oil filler and PCV. I'm running a vintage edelbrock C4B, but you can modify a normal performer intake for the center filler tube, the spot is there to drill the hole for the filler tube, then drill a hole near the distributor to install a grommet for the PCV valve. You can then have a 350 or 400 small block that looks like an early 327 or 283.
I am old school and those corvette covers were and still are very retro for me. Put them on just about anything and they look cool. I grew up with those covers. real nice.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zdld17 is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Running factory finned GM covers but this is my rigid timing cover.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Cloyes/220/9-221/10002/-1
Thanks! How was the install and how do you like it so far? I mean, as far as you can like timing covers. Heh. No flex/leaking? That one is about $100 cheaper than the one I was looking at.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Smile Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty68 View Post
Here are the valve covers I got from eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-86-SBC-Ch...93e8a4&vxp=mtr
This is the company that makes the comp cams covers that I also purchased.
The cloyes covers posted above are nice as well.
http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_p...35c710a5ffa068

I like those valve covers and the fact they come with baffles...my concern is that currenlty, only one of my valve covers has a breather hole. Will adding valve covers with two breather holes affect my vacuum levels or anything else that I may now know of?

Thank you for your help and patience!

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

I have roller-rockers...would it matter if I used tall or short valve covers? Are there any clearance issues I should be worried about?

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon
 
Smitty68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hartselle,AL
Posts: 1,310
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulTick View Post
I have roller-rockers...would it matter if I used tall or short valve covers? Are there any clearance issues I should be worried about?
One hole can be used for a pcv valve and the other for a breather/oil fill. And far as you needing tall covers with the roller rockers depends on how tall your poly locks are? And if you want to be able to use the baffles you might consider them for that reason alone with the rockers/poly locks.
And those style covers are what I liked. They have other styles for you to choose from if you don't like those.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smitty68 is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty68 View Post
One hole can be used for a pcv valve and the other for a breather/oil fill. And far as you needing tall covers with the roller rockers depends on how tall your poly locks are? And if you want to be able to use the baffles you might consider them for that reason alone with the rockers/poly locks.
Very true. Thanks!

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 2 Dog Town in West Texas
Posts: 11,154
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulTick View Post
Thanks! How was the install and how do you like it so far? I mean, as far as you can like timing covers. Heh. No flex/leaking? That one is about $100 cheaper than the one I was looking at.
Timing cover install was simple, I have a billet roller and requires a button bearing, the timing gear set , comes with an encapsulated bearing behind the timing gear, . Timing gear has a recessed pocket in back to use this.

I run the button in the timing gear hole and the round inspection cover allows me to inspect the button, just remove the water pump . Cover inspection hole has a set screw to maintain cam end clearances of 0.0" , I pulled the entire motor for inspection after one power tour, button clearance was where I left it. All was good.
But cover install is just like the stock type. This Cloyes cover is the rigid type. Cover has been on since 2004.
Forgot to mention, by running this cover , I can adjust the cam timing thru this port hole as I run the Cloyes Hex-Adjust timing gear.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zdld17; Aug 28th, 14 at 11:31 AM.
zdld17 is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Timing cover install was simple, I have a billet roller and requires a button bearing, the timing gear set , comes with an encapsulated bearing behind the timing gear, . Timing gear has a recessed pocket in back to use this.

I run the button in the timing gear hole and the round inspection cover allows me to inspect the button, just remove the water pump . Cover inspection hole has a set screw to maintain cam end clearances of 0.0" , I pulled the entire motor for inspection after one power tour, button clearance was where I left it. All was good.
But cover install is just like the stock type. This Cloyes cover is the rigid type. Cover has been on since 2004.
Forgot to mention, by running this cover , I can adjust the cam timing thru this port hole as I run the Cloyes Hex-Adjust timing gear.
Awesome! Thank you. I've saved it to my wish list. First I'm going to get the valve covers, gaskets, breather and pcv valve. Then, when budget permits, I'll get the timing cover, associated accesories and tools.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Ok, so, here's what I ended up ordering:
If any of you experienced folks see anything wrong right away, please let me know. I think that should take care of my needs...but, like I said. I'm an amature.

I really appreciate everything! I really liked the look of these valve covers...even though they hurt my feelings in the budget department.

I'm a bit excited.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael
 
VengefulTick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 232
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Don,

I do like the look of those Corvette valve covers. I looked at getting some like it (minus the word "Corvette". I went with the ones listed above instead though...something about them.

You were spot on when you said its a personal choice...all a matter of personal style I guess.

'67 Camaro
350 V-8 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Intake Manifold &
600CFM Carburator
MSD Ignition, Crane Cam
World Heads, Hooker Headers
3" Flowmaster dual exhuast
Aluminum drive shaft
Muncie 4-speed Transmission
Posi-rear end with 3-leaf rear springs
VengefulTick is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 14, 01:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 2 Dog Town in West Texas
Posts: 11,154
Re: Advice on good valve & timing covers

Those Vette covers, can be a problem as , they may not clear roller rockers, but the old school guys like me, added the 1/4" spacers to give more clearance, thus using two cork gaskets on each cover.
The other thing is, the original covers, don't have the pcv valve hole or a place to put a valve or vent. As these old covers were using on older blocks that had the crank vent (draft pipe) near the distrib.
So what old school guys did , to look vintage, was use the bolt on cover vents that were 90 bolt on , to he center of the motor , .

I would scratch that chrome breather and pcv set up. I thought someone was making those covers with the newer internal baffle and place to put the pcv valve.
I will do some looking if those are the covers you intend to run. But the Proform covers you showed, look good and have everything you need. Normally guys run the crank vent off pass side cover to the bottom of the air cleaner base, then the pcv valve off to the other,
But , its your call. I got tired of looking for this cover and stuck with the stock GM finned cover like the Z cars and SS cars came out with. Besides, that's what came with the car and I am old school.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zdld17; Aug 28th, 14 at 01:57 PM.
zdld17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome