This is why I'm giving up - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 14, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
B

This is why I'm giving up

This is the starter Butler sells. The one I have is no longer made. I just blew $220 because I scratched it good getting it around the headers to see if I could even make it work. I'm pretty sure I ruined the solenoid on the old one taking it apart to see if I could rebuild. Its not a design I have found parts for.

There is a mechanic a mile away. In a few weeks I'm going to ask him to figure it out.

Formers: 1969 RS 350, 700HP 1967 Flash-in-a-pan Firebird 400, 2002 Z28 M6 1SC/1SZ

Last edited by SnakeEyes; Sep 2nd, 14 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 14, 08:16 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: This is why I'm giving up

$90 now, less when I got mine and it's been perfect for years! http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=30

More testimony... https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=166709

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 14, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
B

That would be great if I had a Chevy motor. Really regret this car.

Formers: 1969 RS 350, 700HP 1967 Flash-in-a-pan Firebird 400, 2002 Z28 M6 1SC/1SZ

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 14, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Does the Pontiac take a different starter than a BBC does? Isn't that a Powermaster starter? Starters is one thing I don't skimp on. I go Tilton Super . Easy to work on and always parts for these.
Don't give up yet .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 14, 08:43 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
I have a friend with 69 bird Protour with a Pontiac motor. He has spent a fortune on it and it is cool but will never match a Camaro in performance or value.

Seems to me you talked yourself into this deal and my personal opinion is to get out of it ASAP.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 14, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
B

I may be an idiot:

The starter is "clockable". There are two bolt I can back out and rotate it to any mounting position I choose/need

I WILL be if it works. I'll try again over the next few days. The bracket still looks too small.

I bought it because it was different, cheap(20k in drivetrain alone on a 25k priced car, with mostly "new" metal). And sorted out.

I have to take it to a trans shop to get all new seals on the speedometer gear housing. I simply can't get it off. No leverage/good angle with the exhaust in the way.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 14, 09:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
I may be an idiot:

The starter is "clockable". There are two bolt I can back out and rotate it to any mounting position I choose/need

I WILL be if it works. I'll try again over the next few days. The bracket still looks too small.

I bought it because it was different, cheap(20k in drivetrain alone on a 25k priced car, with mostly "new" metal). And sorted out.

I have to take it to a trans shop to get all new seals on the speedometer gear housing. I simply can't get it off. No leverage/good angle with the exhaust in the way.
The starter on the right is infinitely clockable. You can spin it all the way around or just a fraction of a degree. You should be able to get it to work.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 14, 12:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

I bought a mini from Classic Industries and took it back as it would drain my battery after cranking it for 4-5 seconds....double checked the battery and it was fine. Put my old starter back with a heat shield no problems so far....

Steve
The best laid plans are those not made (mine)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode