Vacuum Loss - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 14, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Vacuum Loss

I have a high lift cam in my L72. There is not enough vacuum feeding the brake booster, so my front power disc brakes do not work.

Anybody have a recommendation? Vacuum reservoir? Electric vacuum pump?

Are electric vacuum pumps noisy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 14, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Vacuum Loss

How much vacumn does the motor make? Pulling off what source? Stock cam?
If you suspect you have a hole in the booster diaphragm, you could be misunderstanding the problem. Have you verified the booster will hold vac? You should also have a vacumn check valve at the booster , feeding the line. That thing sometimes cracks and leaks.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 14, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
There is not enough vacuum feeding the brake booster, so my front power disc brakes do not work.
When do they not work?
When u are coming up to an intersection with engine braking and high vaccuum?
Or when u are stilling in your driveaway pumping the brakes?
Or when u have filled up the gas tank and idling across the forecourt to the kerb to enter the street?

Basically in the real practical world at idle u dont need any vaccuum or boosted brakes cuse unles u are on a hill with the E brake off u have manual brakes... all other time u have high rpms high vaccuum and usually engine braking which is even higher vaccuum still.

Anything over 5 to 7" at idle is sufficient.. and if u need more ..at idle...then dial the idle advance and the idle circuits in carb to best STABLE idle... issue solved.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
How much vacumn does the motor make? Pulling off what source? Stock cam?
If you suspect you have a hole in the booster diaphragm, you could be misunderstanding the problem. Have you verified the booster will hold vac? You should also have a vacumn check valve at the booster , feeding the line. That thing sometimes cracks and leaks.
Yes, pulling off high lift cam. Booster works. Check valve is fine.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Hydro-Boost is the best solution if you have a power steering pump. The next best would be a mechanical vacuum pump off of a modern diesel engine where you will have to make your own custom brackets to mount it to your motor based upon the length of a belt that fits the application. Either that or go for a diesel pick-up before the mechanical pumps that used an electric vacuum pump.

Cadillac used an electric vacuum pump back in the early sixties but it was a supplemental pump to the engine vacuum and not designed to pull a hard vacuum like the diesel pump is. Diesels don't have manifold vacuum because they are open to the atmosphere to maximize cylinder filling (with direct injection there is no mixing of fuel and air out side of the cylinder.

If you have a street strip car that is more strip than street you could install a Moroso vacuum pump and tap into that for brake booster vacuum and still get better ring seal. Of course if it where mine I would loose the power assist and go with manual brakes.

Larger Dave
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
Hydro-Boost is the best solution if you have a power steering pump. The next best would be a mechanical vacuum pump off of a modern diesel engine where you will have to make your own custom brackets to mount it to your motor based upon the length of a belt that fits the application. Either that or go for a diesel pick-up before the mechanical pumps that used an electric vacuum pump.

Cadillac used an electric vacuum pump back in the early sixties but it was a supplemental pump to the engine vacuum and not designed to pull a hard vacuum like the diesel pump is. Diesels don't have manifold vacuum because they are open to the atmosphere to maximize cylinder filling (with direct injection there is no mixing of fuel and air out side of the cylinder.

If you have a street strip car that is more strip than street you could install a Moroso vacuum pump and tap into that for brake booster vacuum and still get better ring seal. Of course if it where mine I would loose the power assist and go with manual brakes.

Larger Dave
Thank you Dave.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

why not make/buy a vacuum can
I made one out of a small propane tank and it works great
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 05:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
why not make/buy a vacuum can
I made one out of a small propane tank and it works great
While thinking out loud, Do you have vacumn head lamp doors, if not , that vacumn can will fit neatly on the fender and look stock and its near the booster.

But really, I don't think cheating the brake booster of its necessary vacumn. Ready to go hydra-booster if you have a ps pump?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
While thinking out loud, Do you have vacumn head lamp doors, if not , that vacumn can will fit neatly on the fender and look stock and its near the booster.

But really, I don't think cheating the brake booster of its necessary vacumn. Ready to go hydra-booster if you have a ps pump?
no headlight doors
here is a picture.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:

No vacuum head lamp doors. Yes, I do have a PS pump.

Thanks for the pic.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
no headlight doors
here is a picture.
Think this will fit there with voltage regulator and horn relay in that area?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69SS View Post
No vacuum head lamp doors. Yes, I do have a PS pump.

Thanks for the pic.
Well ,if you have a ps pump, then all you need to do is decide hydra booster.

Don
TC # 349

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69SS View Post
Think this will fit there with voltage regulator and horn relay in that area?
yes . there is plenty of room for the V.R. in its original place
I moved mine closer to the outer fender to hide it
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

HydraBoost is found on diesel powered pick-up trucks and vans and on most medium duty trucks and buses if they didn't have air brakes. Here is a Hydraboost installed along with a hydraulic clutch (which why there is a hose going into the brake reservoir):.

Here is the part you need off the donor vehicle:

Big Dave
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 14, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode